Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    Yes, they are playing at their best...but the best in their 50s. They have aged and I am taking account for that. Although I do think Al's technique has been refined over the years. It's still bombastic like it used to be, but it's like having a laser precise ICBM versus cannon fire.
    "Refined" is the exact term Al has used to describe himself these days. His posture and stick control are easily superior to the old days, as a result of his back and neck injuries over the years. Sure, he doesnt play as busy or frenetic and animated as his younger self, but he's still the man up there.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    Show me where, exactly, that I denied Dave's struggles? That was my whole point, but he's not the ONLY aging rock singer who is struggling. That's just a fact of life for almost every old rock singer on the planet. Hell, does Steve Perry even sing anymore? The truth is, when Dave stays in his natural baritone range, he can still be an effective singer. Unfortunately, he too often strays out of that range, and that's when he gets into trouble. But you and 1234 wont even, in the least tiny bit, acknowledge that he was more consistent in the 2013 shows compared to 2012, which he was.

As for ADKOT, if you think his vocals sucked, fine. I happen to disagree. However, he would struggle a LOT to do them live, which is why I believe we didnt get to hear more of those songs rotated into the tour setlist.

If you like Tyler's raspy, hoarse voice compared to what he used to sound like in the 70s, that's fine too. Personally, I find him annoying regardless of whether he hits the notes, but he was never one of my favorite vocalists to begin with anyways. Sue me.

I've stated my peace and opinion on the subject and nothing more needs to be said, but you and 1234, by all means please carry on with your condescending personal insults and name calling. What was that you were saying about 14 yr old mentalities stuck in 40 yr old bodies?
    Overall, he sounded okay on ADKOT.
    But there are telling parts, like the second part of "She's the woman," where his voice detracts
    from the song.
    He does need to be kept in check, or advised by the producer or his bandmates.
    He was able to get through ADKOT, it's admirable, but it is an issue.
    And to work around Dave's voice, Ed will have to tune differently & write differently.
    One thing leads to the other, it's not just a simple, "Sing lower, do that."
    The band will have some limitations as a result.

Mezro seems to think Dave's comedy act & one liners will carry him through the actual
    album experience, because that is mainly what Dave is all about (i disagree, btw).
    My point is that Dave was such an effective vocal presence on VHII, WACF, FW...
    He sounded good and he mixed well with the sound.

The concern is today, where will he fit in, as a singer.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Overall, he sounded okay on ADKOT.
    But there are telling parts, like the second part of "She's the woman," where his voice detracts
    from the song.
    He does need to be kept in check, or advised by the producer or his bandmates.
    He was able to get through ADKOT, it's admirable, but it is an issue.
    And to work around Dave's voice, Ed will have to tune differently & write differently.
    One thing leads to the other, it's not just a simple, "Sing lower, do that."
    The band will have some limitations as a result.

Mezro seems to think Dave's comedy act & one liners will carry him through the actual
    album experience, because that is mainly what Dave is all about (i disagree, btw).

I agree with most of this(pretty much all of it except the STW part haha). It will be interesting to see what they will do. Perhaps a more bluesy approach, similar to some of the WACF material. I think anything similar to WACF would be awesome!
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    I agree with most of this(pretty much all of it except the STW part haha). It will be interesting to see what they will do. Perhaps a more bluesy approach, similar to some of the WACF material. I think anything similar to WACF would be awesome!
    I do love "She's the woman," and he sing's it great in that first verse.
    It's just the second part, where his voice sounds like it's straining to get high up.

I'm probably being too critical (of you and Roth).
    They are doing their best, new music is on the way, and i do need to
    be more grateful for that.
    I'm over analyzing, at this point...

If they come back around, i will see them regardless of how Dave sounds!

Giving Dave A Break
    Really dig She's the Woman, the boys and I are gonna smash it out next time we play.

Band Manager
    I think one of the biggest differences between the old records, and ADKoT is that the old ones were basically done live. I'm hoping they get back to this, because it has a way more immediate, urgent sound. They can always work on the vocals afterwards.

They really need to gather in the same room to get it right. On ADKoT, the sounds feel a bit disconnected.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    I think one of the biggest differences between the old records, and ADKoT is that the old ones were basically done live. I'm hoping they get back to this, because it has a way more immediate, urgent sound. They can always work on the vocals afterwards.

They really need to gather in the same room to get it right. On ADKoT, the sounds feel a bit disconnected.
    I hear that, as well.

On VHII, one of the things i loved, was that "gangs all here" vibe.
    Song's like "Bottom's up!" just reeked of this "live off the floor" feel.
    WACF had that same thing happening (Romeo Delight, Fools, Magic, EWS!).

I love how the sounds all collide in that atmosphere.
    It's exciting.

Band Manager
    I hear that, as well.

On VHII, one of the things i loved, was that "gangs all here" vibe.
    Song's like "Bottom's up!" just reeked of this "live off the floor" feel.
    WACF had that same thing happening (Romeo Delight, Fools, Magic, EWS!).

I love how the sounds all collide in that atmosphere.
    It's exciting.
    It's a huge part of why the old records had such a great feel. WACF sounds like it was rushed, but that gave it an urgency that's pretty much unmatched in rock history. You can hear the room on that album, but not really at all on ADKoT.

"Gangs all here" vibe....so true.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    Utter bullshit.
    Ok, but I disagree.

I was not referring to the one liners, more the tone of his voice and the personality you can hear in it, which I feel is more important to Van Halen than vocal perfection.

What Dave is missing more than anything is Mikes backing vocals. This would have made a big difference on record , but massive difference live.

Dave must be so frustrated with the Van Halen's over this point. Regarding backing vocals, Van Halen are just not pulling their weight.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    It's a huge part of why the old records had such a great feel. WACF sounds like it was rushed, but that gave it an urgency that's pretty much unmatched in rock history. You can hear the room on that album, but not really at all on ADKoT.

"Gangs all here" vibe....so true.
    That vibe has been missing for decades and unfortunately it shows.

But the tension within the band might motivate them to push a little harder individually.