Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Are VH recording a new cd for 2014 ? - Page 13
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 215
  1. #121
    Yours truly, As Is
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Starwood, WA or is it Gazzariville?
    Posts
    5,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    I think he just needs to learn vocal control, he can do it. Just needs some control over it. He sounded pretty solid on the Rock Fest show, I was actually impressed overall.


    Ed and Al are playing at their best, I'm still surprised how well Al is playing. Most drummers at his age have a hard time playing that stuff and for so long.
    This a reasonable, logical statement based in truth. To read some of you other guys on here, Dave may as well be dead and buried.

    Actually, I thought Dave's best performance of the tour may have been the Tokyo Dome show. He was definitely more consistent in the 2013 shows compared to last year, and he takes nothing away from my enjoyment of a VH concert.

    I guess because he is so "shitty", guys like UG, 1234, Incomudro etc, will be spared from shelling out big bucks to see VH, since Dave bothers them so much...j/k

    Al is the Buddy Rich of rock drumming, showing no signs yet of slowing down.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

    Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

    Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

  2. #122
    Only a little tardy
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,479
    However, we can't ignore that he is the weaker link of the band. I relistened to the Oshkosh show and while he is straining to hit some of the notes, he does maintain in key in some. I think his control is lacking, honestly. He can hit some of those notes, it's just they are slightly off and in a harmony a slightly off note will be very conspicuous.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

  3. #123
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    This a reasonable, logical statement based in truth. To read some of you other guys on here, Dave may as well be dead and buried.

    Actually, I thought Dave's best performance of the tour may have been the Tokyo Dome show. He was definitely more consistent in the 2013 shows compared to last year, and he takes nothing away from my enjoyment of a VH concert.

    I guess because he is so "shitty", guys like UG, 1234, Incomudro etc, will be spared from shelling out big bucks to see VH, since Dave bothers them so much...j/k

    Al is the Buddy Rich of rock drumming, showing no signs yet of slowing down.
    Dude, why be a freakin' drama queen, just because a few people disagree with you?

    Anyone with ears can reasonable reflect on the fact that, Yes, Dave is having troubles
    singing a lot of the material.
    It's out there, we acknowledge it.

    Why, because we are huge fans of the band, do we have to pretend it is not so?
    Why, because we are fans, do we immediately have to project that onto a guy like
    Tyler, WHO CAN SING HIS OLD MATERIAL?

    You just paint yourself as another buffon, like Robbie, by your statements.

    And, though Ed & Al are playing extremely well at this point, they are NOT
    surpassing their ability in 78-84, as Nick implied.
    I disagree with that as well, for the record.

  4. #124
    Only a little tardy
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,479
    Well, I didn't imply they were surpassing '78-84 years. Unless I misunderstood your statement.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

  5. #125
    Only a little tardy
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,479
    Yes, they are playing at their best...but the best in their 50s. They have aged and I am taking account for that. Although I do think Al's technique has been refined over the years. It's still bombastic like it used to be, but it's like having a laser precise ICBM versus cannon fire.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

  6. #126
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    Yes, they are playing at their best...but the best in their 50s. They have aged and I am taking account for that. Although I do think Al's technique has been refined over the years. It's still bombastic like it used to be, but it's like having a laser precise ICBM versus cannon fire.
    Well, you left the "in their 50's" part out, initially.

    There's a certain "cheerleader" mentality on here, perpetuated by two guys, that think Dave sounds stellar in
    2013 & ADKOT is the best VH album ever, which is why i was taking your statement at face value.
    But i'm glad you hadn't meant it as i read it.

    VH WILL have to work around Dave's increasingly limited vocal range, FACT.
    Dave is a gem, we all love him, but we're also not delusional, crabby fourteen year olds, in 40
    year old bodies.

    Let's put down the pom-poms, and look at the situation with some layer of objectivity.
    Ed & Al are playing great, we love Dave, we hope for a new record, but there are some
    very real problems that COULD (i didn't say would) factor into the mix.

    Can we respond to that without resorting to, "Oh yeah, will Steven Tyler sucks, so there!"

  7. #127
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    305
    To put Dave's current vocal abilities into context, it's never been about how good a singer he was, or is.

    It's about the character and tone of his voice, and the personality, bravado and inflection that you hear when you listen to him.

    When I saw the original Classic Van Halen line up in 1984, I don't think anyone thought Dave was a great singer, but he was irreplaceable; Sammy and Gary went on to prove that point in later years.

    As I watch and listen to Dave being drunk and singing on the '83 US Festival video, I realize that Dave couldn't give a damn about whether he is hitting the right notes, or singing the correct words. To focus on these issues is to miss the whole point about what Van Halen was about.

    In this day and age of the internet and Youtube, it's easy to get distracted and place Dave's vocal performance under the microscope, but I have to say, I think anyone who is doing so, is forgetting the real reason they were attracted to Van Halen in the first place.

    If anyone had criticized Dave's singing or performance in 1984 and wanted perfection, I would have advised them to go and listen to Pink Floyd instead.
    Last edited by MEZRO; December 1st, 2013 at 05:23 AM.

  8. #128
    Dance Baby!
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Peoples Republic of Seattle
    Posts
    6,073

    "We Still Enjoy What We Do" - David Lee Roth

    David Lee Roth estimates that the newly reunited Van Halen could be finished writing a new studio album in 18 months, with another tour to follow.

    “I’m writing; I write lyrics routinely,” Roth tells Jim Florentine. “And the band plays together routinely — at least three times as week. They’re up at Ed’s place, routinely.”

    This flurry of activity follows a stretch of some 27 years between studio efforts for Roth, Eddie and Alex Van Halen. Roth split after the blockbuster 1984, establishing a solo career that began with red-hot propulsion only to cool down. By 2007, he was back in the Van Halen fold — though Michael Anthony had been replaced on bass by Eddie’s son Wolfgang.

    Still, it took another four-plus years for the revamped Van Halen to start work on a new album. A Different Kind of Truth arrived on February 2012, bolstered with updates of leftover demos from Roth’s initial tenure in the group.

    Roth says the group never stopped working regularly, both together and apart, since the tour in support of A Different Kind of Truth drew to a close. That’s why a new Van Halen album looks to arrive much, much more quickly than the last.

    “I think we’re one of the few acts, at our age and in our position in the music industry, who still enjoy doing what we do,” Roth adds. “Everybody will tell you that they live and breathe and die to play their drum sets, and they are lying. (Laughs.) Mostly, you get in a point in your life where you have been playing for how many years, how many decades, and you probably don’t play it on the weekend. This is where Van Halen in the anamoly, or the abberation. We still enjoy what we do for a living.”

    http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013...n-halen-album/
    Daniel (1994-2013)

  9. #129
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    Quote Originally Posted by MEZRO View Post
    To put Dave's current vocal abilities into context, it's never been about how good a singer he was, or is.

    It's about the character and tone of his voice, and the personality, bravado and inflection that you hear when you listen to him.

    When I saw the original Classic Van Halen line up in 1984, I don't think anyone thought Dave was a great singer, but he was irreplaceable; Sammy and Gary went on to prove that point in later years.

    As I watch and listen to Dave being drunk and singing on the '83 US Festival video, I realize that Dave couldn't give a damn about whether he is hitting the right notes, or singing the correct words. To focus on these issues is to miss the whole point about what Van Halen was about.

    In this day and age of the internet and Youtube, it's easy to get distracted and place Dave's vocal performance under the microscope, but I have to say, I think anyone who is doing so, is forgetting the real reason they were attracted to Van Halen in the first place.

    If anyone had criticized Dave's singing or performance in 1984 and wanted perfection, I would have advised them to go and listen to Pink Floyd instead.
    Utter bullshit.

    Dave is the singer of the band, so vocal ability IS still the root of his role in the band.
    Charisma, sense of humor, attitude...all of these things are attributes & a huge part of the Dave experience, but
    he is still the SINGER of a melodic, big rock band.
    Going out there & singing like a strangled cat is not acceptable, in fact, it serves as a distraction.

    Another thing that i find irritating is how all of you resort to the, "Dave was never a great singer," schtick.
    I thought he was an awesome vocalist, and i would NEVER downplay the sound of his original voice in the
    context of classic Van Halen.
    So many of you view Dave's vocals as secondary, and just focus on his tricks (his jokes & public persona).
    It's the equivelent of focusing on Eddie as a "whammy bar/tapping, trick" guitarist.
    You guys are missing the meat of the thing, the chemistry and musical end.

    I have plenty of VH bootlegs, and Dave fucking kicks ass!
    Sure he's loose, but his vocals sound great.

    Unfortunately, his range has been shot for several years now.
    To portray his vocals from 1984 as being not so different as his vocals in 2012/13, is utter stupidity.

  10. #130
    Yours truly, As Is
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Starwood, WA or is it Gazzariville?
    Posts
    5,800
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Dude, why be a freakin' drama queen, just because a few people disagree with you?

    Anyone with ears can reasonable reflect on the fact that, Yes, Dave is having troubles
    singing a lot of the material.
    It's out there, we acknowledge it.

    Why, because we are huge fans of the band, do we have to pretend it is not so?
    Why, because we are fans, do we immediately have to project that onto a guy like
    Tyler, WHO CAN SING HIS OLD MATERIAL?

    You just paint yourself as another buffon, like Robbie, by your statements.

    And, though Ed & Al are playing extremely well at this point, they are NOT
    surpassing their ability in 78-84, as Nick implied.
    I disagree with that as well, for the record.
    Show me where, exactly, that I denied Dave's struggles? That was my whole point, but he's not the ONLY aging rock singer who is struggling. That's just a fact of life for almost every old rock singer on the planet. Hell, does Steve Perry even sing anymore? The truth is, when Dave stays in his natural baritone range, he can still be an effective singer. Unfortunately, he too often strays out of that range, and that's when he gets into trouble. But you and 1234 wont even, in the least tiny bit, acknowledge that he was more consistent in the 2013 shows compared to 2012, which he was.

    As for ADKOT, if you think his vocals sucked, fine. I happen to disagree. However, he would struggle a LOT to do them live, which is why I believe we didnt get to hear more of those songs rotated into the tour setlist.

    If you like Tyler's raspy, hoarse voice compared to what he used to sound like in the 70s, that's fine too. Personally, I find him annoying regardless of whether he hits the notes, but he was never one of my favorite vocalists to begin with anyways. Sue me.

    I've stated my peace and opinion on the subject and nothing more needs to be said, but you and 1234, by all means please carry on with your condescending personal insults and name calling. What was that you were saying about 14 yr old mentalities stuck in 40 yr old bodies?
    Last edited by Jungle Drummer; December 1st, 2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

    Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

    Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Van Halen @ Superbowl 2014 !!!!
    By Heisenberg in forum Main Classic Van Halen Discussion Forum
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: September 15th, 2013, 06:44 PM
  2. 2014 S.Bowl outdoors New Jersey
    By JONEZY in forum Non-VH Related Stuff
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: May 27th, 2010, 12:07 PM
  3. Recording help
    By Sinner Swing 32 in forum Non-VH Related Stuff
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 11th, 2009, 12:03 PM
  4. *** Home Recording ***
    By BadassMOFO in forum The Guitar Shop
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 26th, 2007, 12:37 AM
  5. You Really Got Me, a new recording
    By Ralle 500 in forum The Guitar Shop
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: August 9th, 2005, 10:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •