Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Are VH recording a new cd for 2014 ? - Page 19
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Git some!
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elder berries.
    Ready, Eddie!

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpyliberalbuster32 View Post
    UG, you have tits in your signature, and they are not Katy Perry's!
    Those fab tits belong to Brit, Brooke Little (Brookie G.)

I had a liitle "blonde ambition."

Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    I wanna hear Wolf ADD something to the sound. I'm not saying it to fan any "Wolf vs. Mike" wars, I just think it's reasonable at this point to expect him to add his own flavor to the mix. The band had a sound with MA, and it's time for Wolf to add at least as much as MA did. For the amount of criticism MA receives concerning his musicianship, Wolf (the son of the great Edward Van Halen!), should be able to match Mike's contributions, if not vocally, then instrumentally.

I think he will, and I wouldn't be surprised if they come up with something to showcase him a little on the next album.
    What can Wolfgang add to the sound that will make up for losing such a distinct voice as that of Michael Anthony's?

A few more bass notes? Whoopie!

Wolfgang seems like a nice kid, would be great to know, but stepping into Mike's shoes after 30 years is almost a impossible task. At this moment, you could replace Wolfgang with a session musician and get the same result.

I noticed that the Dave sites have a new saying. It used to be 'Dave or the grave', and it's now, 'If it ain't Mike, on ya bike'.

Quote Originally Posted by Incomudro View Post
    Well, they aren't going to reinvent their own wheel either.

I would expect more of the same from them on the next outing frankly.
    Stuff from the vault re-worked.
    A commercial stab.
    Something bluesy.
    And probably something more cutting edge like HBSD.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, I just think that's what we'll get.
    I would expect more boundery pushing if Roth was at the helm, but we know that he's not.
    Perhaps Wolfie can push the brothers to try new things.

Band Manager
    Actually Wolfie did add something new to VH on ADKoT.

The interplay between bass and guitar say in: Chinatown.
    It's similar to the type of thing that Vai and Sheehan did on Eat 'em and Smile.
    Whenever a band memeber changes in a band, that's what you get something taken away and something added.

In this case, Mikes vocals are taken away and Wolfs virtuosity is added opening up the potential for Ed and his Son to further explore this interplay on the next outing.

You do realize that MA is no longer in this band, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Incomudro View Post
    Actually Wolfie did add something new to VH on ADKoT.

The interplay between bass and guitar say in: Chinatown.
    It's similar to the type of thing that Vai and Sheehan did on Eat 'em and Smile.
    Whenever a band member changes in a band, that's what you get something taken away and something added.

In this case, Mikes vocals are taken away and Wolfs virtuosity is added opening up the potential for Ed and his Son to further explore this interplay on the next outing.

You do realize that MA is no longer in this band, correct?
    You're correct on Chinatown, but they are really going to have to give Wolfgang some more exposure if they intend to seriously develop their music in a sheehan/Vai mode.

Yes Mike is not in the band at the moment, but do I really want Wolfgang to use Van Halen to showcase his talent and change Van Halen? No I don't.

As I write this, Planet Rock radio in the UK is playing something off Sammy's new record with Mike on backing vocals. Sh*t, I can't believe that Van Halen just handed Mike on a plate to Sammy Hagar.

Quote Originally Posted by DLR 1973 View Post
    What can Wolfgang add to the sound that will make up for losing such a distinct voice as that of Michael Anthony's?

Um, 2013 Michael Anthony does not have the voice 1984 Michael Anthony had. That was his only strength over Wolfgang and it's gone. I'd accept Mike back with open arms but let's not pretend Wolfgang's musical ability is hindering the band, because that's just not true.

No cheer******s allowed!
    The floodgates have been opened.

On topic, i'd say Mike had a unique voice, but was a pretty dull bassist.
    Wolf has a decent voice, not as unique as Mike's, but he's also a very good Bass player.
    I'm not sure if i trust Wolf's musical tastes (Tremonti, Sevendust), but he's still young.
    Ideally, Mike would be in the lineup, but in exchange, we get new music from Ed and touring.
    I'll take that trade-off.

Git some!
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    The floodgates have been opened.

On topic, i'd say Mike had a unique voice, but was a pretty dull bassist.
    Wolf has a decent voice, not as unique as Mike's, but he's also a very good Bass player.
    I'm not sure if i trust Wolf's musical tastes (Tremonti, Sevendust), but he's still young.
    Ideally, Mike would be in the lineup, but in exchange, we get new music from Ed and touring.
    I'll take that trade-off.
    I know I'm going to be that guy but while Mike wasn't another Sheehan, I don't think he was absolute crap. In the early days he had some pretty cool bass lines. I think as soon as he hit the big stages hes stopped caring about his playing and had a fuck-all attitude to it.

I do agree with the last part. I've said this a million times, but as much as I'd love the classic line up to regroup, it ain't gonna happen. I'll take what I can get. Dave is back.
    Ready, Eddie!

Look, would it be cool to see a Roth-Eddie-Alex-Mike reunion? Absolutely, and I don't think anyone on here would be opposed to that. But the reality is Eddie loves making music with his son, and that very well could be the glue that is holding this current iteration of Van Halen together.