Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Eddie Van Halen on Guitar Aficionado front cover
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Eddie Van Halen on Guitar Aficionado front cover

This magazine is a must have. It specializes on guitars, cars, watches, wine and the deluxe lifestyle.

In this edition, on sale from 2nd December 2013, Eddie takes Guitar Aficionado on a tour of his favorite guitars.

Not sure what he's done with his hair, the guitar (mandobass) he's holding, the top he's wearing, or whether he just did the interview for the money, but at least that small dog of his didn't make it into the picture.

It's a bit different to the magazine covers he did in the 80's, but it's nice to see that he is aging gracefully, even though I find some of it a little tame.

Band Manager
    He looks like he is taking fashion/image cues from the elderly Jimmy Page, OBE.

I hate this magazine. (you find some of it a little tame?!)
    It has features on billionaires and actors, that stroke their egos by putting them on the cover of "musician magazines". It's guitar lifestyle... "lawyer guitars" etc. All the guys that grew up reading Guitar World don't buy it anymore, but as they age they still want to feel a part of the scene, so now it's wine cellars and guitars.
    It's a "mature" replacement for those Yngee Malmstoon poster ads on yer bedroom wall.

Everything has turned to shit.

Paul Allen and his guitars...bleeech.
    Last edited by 1234over; November 22nd, 2013 at 07:03 AM.

Wonder what make that mandobass is?

I know that Gibson made a range of mandolins around 1929.

If it's Eddie's, it's either just a collector item, or he may be experimenting with different instruments on the new Van Halen record.

The Gibson Mandolin family.

A mandolin is a musical instrument in the lute family (plucked, or strummed) usually with four courses of strings, tuned in perfect fifths and plucked with a plectrum. It is the soprano member of a family that includes the mandola, octave mandolin, mandocello and mandobass. It descends from the mandore.

There are many styles of mandolin, but three are common, the Neapolitan (bowl-backed) mandolin, the carved-top mandolin and the flat-top mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    He looks like he is taking fashion/image cues from the elderly Jimmy Page, OBE.

I hate this magazine. It has features on billionaires that strokes their egos by putting them on the cover of "musician magazines". It's guitar lifestyle, "lawyer guitars" etc. All the guys that grew up reading Guitar World don't buy it anymore, but as they age they still want to feel a part of the scene, so now it's wine cellars and guitars.

Everything has turned to shit.

Paul Allen and his guitars...bleeech.
    Maybe it's that type of person and market that Eddie is trying to appeal to, in the hope that the next time they tour they will sell more of their over priced VIP tickets, which will sell out faster and for an even higher price.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR 1973 View Post
    Maybe it's that type of person and market that Eddie is trying to appeal to, in the hope that the next time they tour they will sell more of their over priced VIP tickets, which will sell out faster and for an even higher price.
    Oh yes, the VIP concert experience...
    I'm sure it is the plan to capture those dollars. I don't necessarily think it's some contrivance of EVH, more likely his handlers. No point in having EVH in a guitar magazine devoted to 20 year olds (and those don't sell much anymore, anyway). Nope, they gotta dress up the magazine, and present guitaring (ha) and it's products, as the cultured pursuit of a bon vivant. Collecting fine guitars, motoring in a Jaguar, and shopping for expensive watches.

I think this magazine is done by the people from Guitar World, and they are all older, and their readers are older. All these guys are the people EVH has relationships with. That whole group of people (the artists, the fans, the writers, and all the business relationships) are now older (and have more money, presumably), and it's shifted to old guy stuff. I find status-driven old guy stuff, boring as fuck, and precisely what rock music was rebelling against.

I'm thinking that Mando bass was chosen for the pic because of the way it looks, and has nothing to do with the next VH record.
    Last edited by 1234over; November 22nd, 2013 at 07:45 AM.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Oh Christ, Ernie Boch JR. is in this rag!

This guy was some dirtbag Bostonian that thought he could play blues, but that didn't work out.
    Fortunately, daddy left him his billionaire/over-priced car sales corporation, and now Boch is the local
    spokesman for both cars & rock 'n roll.
    This translates to endless dorky radio ads & print ads, with a "rock & roll" theme.

Eddie, really does look like Jimmy Page, on the cover!

I will buy this issue, but the magazine (part of Guitar World's division), is a glossy "hand-job" for the rich
    kids that grew up.

Giving Dave A Break
    That's the bass Ed played on Fair Warning. Mike couldn't reach all the way around to play the thing coz his fat guts got in the way, therefore Ed had to fill in - true story

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Oh Christ, Ernie Boch JR. is in this rag!

This guy was some dirtbag Bostonian that thought he could play blues, but that didn't work out.
    Fortunately, daddy left him his billionaire/over-priced car sales corporation, and now Boch is the local
    spokesman for both cars & rock 'n roll.
    This translates to endless dorky radio ads & print ads, with a "rock & roll" theme.

Eddie, really does look like Jimmy Page, on the cover!

I will buy this issue, but the magazine (part of Guitar World's division), is a glossy "hand-job" for the rich
    kids that grew up.
    It's quite crafty of the GW guys, and I have to admit that it might save some of their jobs. Kids aren't playing guitar in the same numbers anymore, there isn't nearly as much money being spent on, and passed around the interwoven industries of records/instruments/parts/advertising/print media, etc. They are searching for ways to reach the people that supported these industries back in the heyday.

My brother makes triple figures, owns a $1500 Les Paul, an American Tele, Marshall and Fender amps (I know he has bought more, but it's been a few years since I saw his "music room"), and the guy can barely play. I mean BARELY. He is the target audience for this crap, and there are lots of guys like him out there.

With the whole industry looking for new ways to squeeze out some bucks, they are doing things like "VIP Packages", and the Rolling Stones promoters used the strategy of offering advanced tickets for the worst seats at wildly inflated rates, and then offering any unsold seats at a much lower rate the day of the show. Gee, thanks!
    Last edited by 1234over; November 22nd, 2013 at 08:25 PM.

Giving Dave A Break
    Stones are coming to Melbourne next year. Tickets are $350, $650 & $1200. I payed alot of cash to Rush, but the Stones aren't worth any of those numbers.....to me anyway.

Band Manager
    If you like the Stones (I'm allergic to Rush), I must say they were way better than I expected. I never went to see them (even though they are my all-time fav band)for many reasons, (cost, huge venues, bad records), but I got very good seats cheap, and was very impressed.

I wouldn't pay $350 for that experience though. I wouldn't pay that for any old guys who are way past their prime.

I checked out a few covers of "Guitar Aficionado" and they all have features on wrist watches...what the fuck? It's really just a glorified shopping catalog.

I hate watches, I consider them symbols of servitude (I know that sounds extreme, but they are literally "the shackles of time"), and have never worn one. I do everything in my power to live on my OWN time (that's why I post at such odd hours).
    Last edited by 1234over; November 24th, 2013 at 03:10 AM.