Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Music themed movies !
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    EVH diehard ...

Music themed movies !

What are some of your favorites ? This may have been discussed before , but i'd like a Aug. 2013 perspective on it .
    I'm not talking about movies that had a cool score or soundtrack , but rather , movies that were scripted around a musical idea or artist .

My top picks are ;

Purple Rain
    Crossroads
    Rock Star
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Giving Dave A Break
    Almost Famous would be the standout for me
    Rock Star for the cool songs but the story was a bit meh.
    Purple Rain was great.
    Crossroads I watched a few times, the video tape ended up pretty choppy during the head cutter scene.

Band Manager
    Hard Days Night
    Idol Maker
    Phantom of the Paradise

Like Mike
    Does the The Song Remains the Same count?

Love ya moms......
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    Does the The Song Remains the Same count?
    Yep...
    Favorite part was when Peter Grant was about to tear the promoter a new one .

Yours truly, As Is
    The Buddy Holly Story, or whatever it's called, with an amazing performance by Gary Busey always comes to mind.

My Mum was a Sophomore in high school, loved Buddy, and cried the day that plane went down. He was a great talent...
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Band Manager
    Sweet and Lowdown.

About Django Reinhard, directed by Woody Allen and starring Sean Penn. Great story, fantastic movie, very well done.

I'm really not a big fan of music based movies for the most part. Shit like Rock Star I couldnt even be bothered to watch, so fucking gay it's not even funny. So many other bad ones too, like Josie & the Pussycats or that one about the Runaways.

I guess Oliver Stone's movie The Doors was pretty good though. Saturday Night Fever is worth a mention. I actually found Mike Meyers to be quite impressive in 54, although I wouldnt say it was a very good movie at all. There was a great story to be told there, but the wrong writers and directors fucked it up, just imagine what Oliver Stone could have done with a film about that late '70's disco era based around Studio 54 , it could of been magnificent.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    Hard Days Night
    Idol Maker
    Phantom of the Paradise
    I had to Google those last two, never seen or heard of either.

I'm going to find that Phantom of the Paradise , as Brian De Palma has such a twisted creative style, it sounds intriguing to me. Funny they had to change the record label because of Zeppelin. I guess it is now one of those cult classics. Evidently, it tanked at the box office, with the exception of Winnipeg, where it was hugely successful and ran in the theatres a long time. Canada. Who still celebrate the movie to this day. Very odd that I didnt know about this one. Could be The Rocky Horror Picture Show overshadowed this movie at that time.

Amazing how popular music movies were in the 70's, and 80's. I guess still to this day. So many, A Star Is Born, The Rose, etc, etc. I think the oversaturation of these films may have turned me off of the idea of even watching any of them. So many stinkers. Sgt. Peppers, Urban Cowboy, Josie & the Pussycats, and that Runaways movie.

I remember seeing Roadie in the theatres when it first came out, starring Meatloaf. It wasnt really that bad, just not too good if I remember correctly. I wanted to see it because Cheap Trick had a new song in it at the time , " Everything Works If You Let It ", and it sounded deadly in the theatre, nice and loud with such heavy booming bass. Oddly enough, Meatloaf has actually done some pretty good acting in other recent movies, he goes by his real name, Micheal Aday or something, I forget exactly.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I had to Google those last two, never seen or heard of either.

I'm going to find that Phantom of the Paradise , as Brian De Palma has such a twisted creative style, it sounds intriguing to me. Funny they had to change the record label because of Zeppelin. I guess it is now one of those cult classics. Evidently, it tanked at the box office, with the exception of Winnipeg, where it was hugely successful and ran in the theatres a long time. Canada. Who still celebrate the movie to this day. Very odd that I didnt know about this one. Could be The Rocky Horror Picture Show overshadowed this movie at that time.

Amazing how popular music movies were in the 70's, and 80's. I guess still to this day. So many, A Star Is Born, The Rose, etc, etc. I think the oversaturation of these films may have turned me off of the idea of even watching any of them. So many stinkers. Sgt. Peppers, Urban Cowboy, Josie & the Pussycats, and that Runaways movie.

I remember seeing Roadie in the theatres when it first came out, starring Meatloaf. It wasnt really that bad, just not too good if I remember correctly. I wanted to see it because Cheap Trick had a new song in it at the time , " Everything Works If You Let It ", and it sounded deadly in the theatre, nice and loud with such heavy booming bass. Oddly enough, Meatloaf has actually done some pretty good acting in other recent movies, he goes by his real name, Micheal Aday or something, I forget exactly.
    The Idolmaker is a GREAT movie. There was a lighter, English film called "Expresso Bongo", that came out in 1959, that is interesting in the same way (a svengali figure developing a star).
    You are right about the terrible rock films. Sgt. Peppers is just complete shit, and one of the worst of all-time.

Never saw Roadie.

Phantom of the Paradise is weird. A downer 70's vibe permeates it, but it still entertains me. It has elements of Rocky Horror, and it is laced with the 50's nostalgia that was everywhere in the mid-70's (American Graffiti, Happy Days, etc,), but it is fun. Paul Williams stars, and his music dominates the soundtrack. Wow, the 70's were strange.
    Last edited by 1234over; August 20th, 2013 at 04:16 AM.

TPS Reports
    "That thing you do".
    Go RAMS!