Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
A Guitar Player's Nightmare!
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Band Manager

A Guitar Player's Nightmare!

A week ago I shut the tip of my index finger in the car door (dumbass)! Painful for about fifteen minutes and uncomfortable throbbing for a day... major suckage!
    I've never had anything restrict my playing before...talk about a severe bummer!
    I couldn't do anything for 4 days, and the next two were like row,row your boat stuff.Today a little better, I can do some stuff but no bar chords or planting on the fret board.Actually,the solo I was working on before it happened (Aces High) is at least friendly too me now cuz I don't have to put a lot of pressure on it or make any awkward movements...the first solo anyway.
    Of course in the back of your mind you're thinking "am I gonna be shittier than I was before because of this"?

This blows! I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Needless to say, if I was on tour it would be cancelled.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    A week ago I shut the tip of my index finger in the car door (dumbass)! Painful for about fifteen minutes and uncomfortable throbbing for a day... major suckage!
    I've never had anything restrict my playing before...talk about a severe bummer!
    I couldn't do anything for 4 days, and the next two were like row,row your boat stuff.Today a little better, I can do some stuff but no bar chords or planting on the fret board.Actually,the solo I was working on before it happened (Aces High) is at least friendly too me now cuz I don't have to put a lot of pressure on it or make any awkward movements...the first solo anyway.
    Of course in the back of your mind you're thinking "am I gonna be shittier than I was before because of this"?

This blows! I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Needless to say, if I was on tour it would be cancelled.
    Not if you were Mr. Jimmy Page!

Or, even more extreme, Mr. Tony Iommi.

Roadie
    I hear you bro. 2 months ago on the way home from work on my motorcycle a woman cut me off in a van (pulled right in front of me) and I was going 30 mph and my bike slammed to the pavement and I went flying through the air. Cracked 2 ribs and sprained both wrists with tons of road rash on my arm. I got right up (god was looking out for me for sure) and was ok believe it or not.

needless to say I could not play guitar for 2 weeks with both wrists sprained. Even when I could my technique was off for a while. I feel your pain bro. Youll be ok and your gonna be just fine. Hang in there

Rob

take it as motivation to practice like hell on those other three fingers.
    and then you become Chris Poland. Though his index was far more damaged, and for different reasons.
    A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.
    Frank Zappa

EVH diehard ...
    Sorry to hear about the incident , PoP . Also , i'm happy that vhrob was able to bounce back from his accident !

Great advice from spanishfly , as well . I used to do a similar thing , when i broke a high E or B string while jamming ... ; i'd concentrate on using the lower strings more , or improving on chordal stuff , etc.

Turn the negative as a way to focus on other aspects of the instrument
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Giving Dave A Break
    Bad luck on the car door PoP, cars are dangerous things.

I've had the odd bit of time out due to injury. As a fellow motorcyclist, vhrob, I feel your pain, although my last bike related injury was few years ago now. I managed to crack my scaphoid during an off road event, on the warm up lap no less! It needed to be screwed together, so I was off the bike and guitar for about 2 months.

My most recent incident to curtail my guitar playing, apart from my lack of natural ability, was after an afternoon of beer ingestion. I was hungry, so I decided it was a good idea to make saganaki prawns. I ended up burning my right hand really bad, so there was no axe for about a week or so.

Chief Fluffer Inspector
    Sorry to hear about your injury, PoP. 1985, I lost the 1st joint of my left middle finger when I was in the USAF. There went my guitar career. then I started reading about Tony, Django, and Jerry & how they got past it... So did I. I just compensated, started using a slide more, and It changed. I compensate a bit more w/ other fingers, but the fuzzy nub makes some cool sounds! A few years back when Mafia Wars was new on FB, I made my name "Fuzzy Nub Cambellini".
    The wifey calls me Nubby!
    THE WORLD AWAITS... RELEASE THE KRACKEN!!!

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Not if you were Mr. Jimmy Page!

Or, even more extreme, Mr. Tony Iommi.
    Tony is a bit of a different story, but Page,I don't know how he did it UG? Guess that's why he's a legend.
    Eight days later and I still can't do a bar chord.I think it might've been better if I shut the whole finger in their.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by vhrob View Post
    I hear you bro. 2 months ago on the way home from work on my motorcycle a woman cut me off in a van (pulled right in front of me) and I was going 30 mph and my bike slammed to the pavement and I went flying through the air. Cracked 2 ribs and sprained both wrists with tons of road rash on my arm. I got right up (god was looking out for me for sure) and was ok believe it or not.

needless to say I could not play guitar for 2 weeks with both wrists sprained. Even when I could my technique was off for a while. I feel your pain bro. Youll be ok and your gonna be just fine. Hang in there

Rob
    Damn Dude! Forget playing you're lucky to be alive.Glad you were able to make a full recovery.

I see what you mean about your technique being off.Never experienced it before.My first and second fingers are completely out of synch.When I try like a simple 5,6,8 for example,my second finger wants to come in way too early...it's weird.Because I can't completely plant the first finger,the second digit is like "something's off here".
    Thanks for the encouragement vhrob.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by spanishfly View Post
    take it as motivation to practice like hell on those other three fingers.
    and then you become Chris Poland. Though his index was far more damaged, and for different reasons.
    Good call spanishfly! The first four days I did just that.It was frustrating but no way I was going to completely stop playing.
    Doing a fanning technique with the pinky and the second finger was quite a challenge,too.