Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Cool Rare Pics - Page 66
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 LastLast

Thread: Cool Rare Pics

Love ya moms......
    Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    Thanks! I think so too...really rare unseen pics that are this clear and in color from this era of the band don't cone along very often and I'm really indebted to the fan that shared them with me. I haven't posted here in forever and I almost never post anything outside the 'The Guitar Shop', but I'm glad somebody saw them and dug 'em too!

As it turns out, another eagle-eyed fan confirmed that the last three pics are NOT from Cain's Ballroom, but they are likely from another small venue in the Midwest during the same time frame. I was hoping somebody might be able to help pinpoint the date and the venue?!
    I don't know the answer to where the last 3 pics are from but your probably right. A small venue that most likely only held only 2-3 thousand max. I never knew that VH opened for Montrose for the Cain's show so I guess you learn something new everyday. Poor Montrose{as well as a host of other headliners from the late 70s}got blown off the stage im sure by the mighty VH.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    I don't know the answer to where the last 3 pics are from but your probably right. A small venue that most likely only held only 2-3 thousand max. I never knew that VH opened for Montrose for the Cain's show so I guess you learn something new everyday. Poor Montrose{as well as a host of other headliners from the late 70s}got blown off the stage im sure by the mighty VH.
    Van Halen played in the Buffalo area twice in 1978. Once opening for Black Sabbath, but also a show with Journey/Montrose at a now defunct venue called "The Century Theater". I have never seen any photos from either of those shows (at least that were labelled), so if anyone knows of some it would be cool to see them. I csn't believe they were in my town twice that year!
    Last edited by 1234over; December 28th, 2014 at 01:55 AM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Band Manager

Soundcheck Detroit Cobo Hall July 3 or 4th 1981

Photography by Michael Marks
    Last edited by Heisenberg; January 2nd, 2015 at 04:21 PM.

Only a little tardy
    Wow, cool pics of an era we barely have any of.

I'm particularly tickled to see a closer shot of Al's set up from the back. It's rather interesting to see that he is using the Tama snare for live work instead of the usual super sensitive. And the gaff tape...it still makes me curious on when he started doing that and how much muffling he wanted. The weird thing is that old snares came with an internal muffling, my '76 super sensitive has one, so I don't understand why he would do that. Apparently he likes to tension the batter head to the tightness of a wooden table, that might have brought a necessity for muffling.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

No cheer******s allowed!
    Man, that's the Eddie i love!

Those two fans look like they just won the lottery.
    Can you imagine the sounds coming out of that guitar, during sound check?
    That's VH hitting their raw, creative peak.

Man, it must have been badass to be soaking up all of that, as it happened.

Band Manager

From Mira Chai Hyde's Instagram ( older pic 2007 ?? )

Last edited by Heisenberg; January 19th, 2015 at 10:15 PM.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    Van Halen played in the Buffalo area twice in 1978. Once opening for Black Sabbath, but also a show with Journey/Montrose at a now defunct venue called "The Century Theater". I have never seen any photos from either of those shows (at least that were labelled), so if anyone knows of some it would be cool to see them. I csn't believe they were in my town twice that year!
    Funny thing I noticed about Buffalo shows the concert promoters " Harvey & Corky " is actually THE Harvey Weinstien movie bigwig of Miramax pictures.

Just recently found out about this book sounds to be a good read about the sleazy behind the scenes gossipy sex and drugs stuff surrounding promoters and so forth. Harvey Weinstein is mentioned in it although there's no VH in it as the subject matter predates them.

Here's one from Niagra Falls NY @ Niagra Falls Convention Center September 8, 1978.

From Gavs5150's collection @ VHT
    Last edited by Heisenberg; January 20th, 2015 at 12:17 AM.

Band Manager
    Hberg, you are AWESOME! Thanks man.

Yeah, Harvey and Corky were the big show promoters in the area, and his rise to mogul status is a Buffalo legend.

EVH still has the pink jumper!!!!
    It's a little odd to see him wearing it in his fifties...he looks like an aging gay man. I didn't realize he still had that kind of flamboyance (open zipper!).
    Last edited by 1234over; January 20th, 2015 at 02:09 AM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    Hberg, you are AWESOME! Thanks man.

Yeah, Harvey and Corky were the big show promoters in the area, and his rise to mogul status is a Buffalo legend.

EVH still has the pink jumper!!!!
    It's a little odd to see him wearing it in his fifties...he looks like an aging gay man. I didn't realize he still had that kind of flamboyance (open zipper!).

Yeah I was surprised to see him wearing it too. It's an older pic from around 2008 or so. I believe the lady Mara Chai Hyde was his hairstylist at the time of his Guitar World cover shoot. She has a few other pics on her Instantgram page.

Band Manager

From Mira Chai Hyde's Instagram
    Last edited by Heisenberg; January 20th, 2015 at 01:53 PM.