Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 18 of 68 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool Rare Pics

EVH diehard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    5150 has moments that i connect to "The Wild Life."
    It's like that netherworld between 1984 and 5150, that strange spot.
    I like that aspect of it.
    It does have a sound that relates to the time frame .
    "Dated" is an often used word , but hey , 1986 was a LONG time ago !

I watched VH "Unleashed" , yet again . The guys were having such a good time .
    I truly think that if they did change the name of the band , that the overall group of fans would've been more accepting of the musical output .

Dave did put out the most CVH sounding album , with EEAS . He wanted to stay in that mold for his first full length solo outing .
    Eddie and Co. wanted to break the mold !
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    It does have a sound that relates to the time frame .
    "Dated" is an often used word , but hey , 1986 was a LONG time ago !

I watched VH "Unleashed" , yet again . The guys were having such a good time .
    I truly think that if they did change the name of the band , that the overall group of fans would've been more accepting of the musical output .

Dave did put out the most CVH sounding album , with EEAS . He wanted to stay in that mold for his first full length solo outing .
    Eddie and Co. wanted to break the mold !
    True, but after listening to both WACF and FW this weekend, I would argue that those records are timeless, and I wouldnt specifically associate them with "sounding" like either 1980 or '81 recordings.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

EVH diehard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    True, but after listening to both WACF and FW this weekend, I would argue that those records are timeless, and I wouldnt specifically associate them with "sounding" like either 1980 or '81 recordings.
    I'm hoping that my remark didn't get taken the wrong way ? Haha

To me , ALL VH albums are timeless . That's pretty much a given , eh ?
    I can listen to the songs off of any album , and mentally visualize the clothing , the videos , the era , etc.

I don't believe the WACF would have been recorded with an OU812 guitar tone , y'know ?
    I can tell that ADKOT was recorded last year , and not in '81 .
    The tone of 5150 is specific to that era .

That's what i meant .
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    That's the thing, they just sound like BIG rock records from no particular time frame.
    Everything is so organic and in the moment on those albums, they fit in without screaming
    nostalgia.

5150 was probably modern at the time, with the production, the keys, the electronic drums...
    But it's funny how those "cutting edge" sounds end up dating themselves a decade or two later.

EVH diehard ...
    That's the thing, they just sound like BIG rock records from no particular time frame.
    Everything is so organic and in the moment on those albums, they fit in without screaming
    nostalgia.

5150 was probably modern at the time, with the production, the keys, the electronic drums...
    But it's funny how those "cutting edge" sounds end up dating themselves a decade or two later.
    No one's arguing that way of thinking , UG .
    But are you saying that you don't picture the Oakland vids , when hearing FW ?

Can you imagine Eddie using his "On Fire" tone , on "Summer Nights" ? That's what i'm saying ... I can relate each album to it's respective time frame .
    There's subtle (and some not-so-subtle) changes from each record to the next . I kind of like that , as each slab has it's own personality .
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    No one's arguing that way of thinking , UG .
    But are you saying that you don't picture the Oakland vids , when hearing FW ?

Can you imagine Eddie using his "On Fire" tone , on "Summer Nights" ? That's what i'm saying ... I can relate each album to it's respective time frame .
    There's subtle (and some not-so-subtle) changes from each record to the next . I kind of like that , as each slab has it's own personality .
    No, i was saying earlier that i realized he needed a different sound to fit the type of songs he
    was writing on 5150.

The feel, the chords, the arrangements are so different.
    It was an odd tone (5150), but it does relate to the song's they were writing.

EVH diehard ...
    No, i was saying earlier that i realized he needed a different sound to fit the type of songs he
    was writing on 5150.

The feel, the chords, the arrangements are so different.
    It was an odd tone (5150), but it does relate to the song's they were writing.
    I hear ya .
    There's still a lot of good stuff to be had , though . That's probably why i really like F.U.C.K. and ADKOT so much ; the guitar sound is more rockin' and profound IMO .

As much as i like the playing on 5150 , OU812 and Balance , the sonic quality of the guitars (for the most part) aren't my favorites . There are exceptions on each album , of course .
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

No cheer******s allowed!
    OU812 had sort of a weaker version of the old brown sound.

I do love that final cadenza on "AFU."
    That has hints of the old Ed, as does "Sucker" and "Source."
    Just the tone, not the actual tunes.

I hate that opening tune (Mine all mine), but it does contain a fantastic solo.

FUCK, for me, sounds like a completely new (kinda sterile) tone.
    It's a big, radio friendly guitar sound, but it doesn't have that raw, raggedy, tubes melting "brown"
    of the six pack.
    It's a rock tone, but a more polite & cleaned up rock tone.

It's not bad, just not as unique.

The guy has magic hands.
    He could play a Squier through a Gorilla amp, and still have a decent tone.

Yours truly, As Is
    OU812 had sort of a weaker version of the old brown sound.

I do love that final cadenza on "AFU."
    That has hints of the old Ed, as does "Sucker" and "Source."
    Just the tone, not the actual tunes.

I hate that opening tune (Mine all mine), but it does contain a fantastic solo.

FUCK, for me, sounds like a completely new (kinda sterile) tone.
    It's a big, radio friendly guitar sound, but it doesn't have that raw, raggedy, tubes melting "brown"
    of the six pack.
    It's a rock tone, but a more polite & cleaned up rock tone.

It's not bad, just not as unique.

The guy has magic hands.
    He could play a Squier through a Gorilla amp, and still have a decent tone.
    I actually liked his tone on OU812 better than 5150. More raw and darker, a poor man's version of WACF, dare I say.

I agree with this description of the FUCK tone except I would say that pretty much all of Ed's tones are pretty uniquely his. It's just that some are obviously better(to us) or more powerful. Ed does have a lot of great moments on FUCK, though. Some really great solos on that record.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Giving Dave A Break
    Pretty sure FUCK is in standard tuning too, at least Poundhercake is, coz I remember learning it on bass back in the day.