Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Wolfie's favorite CVH album = FAIR WARNING or 1984 - Page 3
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by thismusicsux View Post
    Maybe this has been posted before?? But just for the shit of it... tweeted @Wolf today to ask his favorite CVH album. I had a feeling FW might be since he seems to understand the brilliance and importance of the deeper tracks. Nice!

Attachment 43379

------
    Wolfgang Van Halen ‏@WolfVanHalen 2h
    Fair Warning or 1984 RT @ThisMusicSux: ok you've prob been asked 1000 times. Which is your fav VH album 78-84?
    That's cool, but I'm more interested to know what his favorite is period.He could say OU812 or something and put the earth off it's axis.

Band Manager
    I don't have a strong feeling either way...but the time period is interesting.

1. Ed and Donn were recording alone late at night to re-do parts. Ed could've re-tracked bass
    2. This 82 GP Interview reflecting on FW was pretty shocking to read...
    • Q: Do you have any feelings about DLR's vocals on the album?
    • Ed: The truth is, I don't think he sang as good as I played. He took off for 2 weeks and again it was, "What do you got Eddie?" I worked my ass off on that record. At least Dave pulls his weight. Mike doesn't. He doesn't do anything; he has no input whatsoever. Period. But he has remodeled his whole house and bought himself a Turbo Carrera off the money he's made off of us. Whatever.

Man those were some strong f'ing words. Laying into MA back in 81/82
    Reading comments like that back then and all the other comments over the years,I've just never understood Ed's treatment of Mike.If I was Mike I woulda marched over to Ed's house, beat his ass, and quit on the spot!!If he's talking like this in the media back then and later,what was he saying to him in person?
    I have too believe it's more personal and goes beyond music.It's always been like Mike was some guy off the street Ed was forced to let in the band and tour with them.All the while totally hates him.

"the money he made off of us" What the hell is that? That money decreases without MA singing.Those records are completely different without him.What other bass player are you getting in 1982 that can sing like that.

As far as the contribution comment,again,where the hell is Ed at? Mike plays bass and sings,he's not Steve Harris! What were the major contributions Mike made on the first three records?What,he did a solo at the beginning of You're No Good....Mike's not coming into any recording session with a bunch of ideas.Or did he? Ed wrote the tunes, Mike came in and put some bass too them.Not much room for contributions when the guy writing the tunes doesn't isn't very interested in change,or accomodating anyone.When your as creative as Ed that's just how it is.

Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    That's cool, but I'm more interested to know what his favorite is period.He could say OU812 or something and put the earth off it's axis.
    I like that he puts 'Dirty Movies' up as a favorite (from another tweet), which I often say is mine too.
    even though he has some clunkers in there...

Wolfgang Van Halen ✔ @WolfVanHalen
    @B_Good_AHB off the top of my head... Dirty movies, hear about it later, Amsterdam, light up the sky, humans being. But I love all of em

EVH diehard ...
    LOL , that would certainly cause a sh*t storm of negative backlash !
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Band Manager
    I like that he puts 'Dirty Movies' up as a favorite (from another tweet), which I often say is mine too.
    even though he has some clunkers in there...

Wolfgang Van Halen ✔ @WolfVanHalen
    @B_Good_AHB off the top of my head... Dirty movies, hear about it later, Amsterdam, light up the sky, humans being. But I love all of em

Dirty Movies!! Way to go Wolf! Obviously he loves FW,I wonder if he got addicted to the brown sound like we did?
    Need to get him on That Metal Show or something.I'd like to hear him go more in depth on this kind of stuff.

I know most here will think Amsterdam and Humans Being are clunkers.Don't kill me but I actually dig those tunes.I don't love em' but I do like em'.The riff in Amsterdam is sweet! The beginning of Humans Being is a fav of mine...it's so ominous.Similar to Aftershock,that's an evil begining a well.
    I coulda loved these tunes with Dave at the wheel.

Reading comments like that back then and all the other comments over the years,I've just never understood Ed's treatment of Mike.If I was Mike I woulda marched over to Ed's house, beat his ass, and quit on the spot!!If he's talking like this in the media back then and later,what was he saying to him in person?
    I have too believe it's more personal and goes beyond music.It's always been like Mike was some guy off the street Ed was forced to let in the band and tour with them.All the while totally hates him.

"the money he made off of us" What the hell is that? That money decreases without MA singing.Those records are completely different without him.What other bass player are you getting in 1982 that can sing like that.

As far as the contribution comment,again,where the hell is Ed at? Mike plays bass and sings,he's not Steve Harris! What were the major contributions Mike made on the first three records?What,he did a solo at the beginning of You're No Good....Mike's not coming into any recording session with a bunch of ideas.Or did he? Ed wrote the tunes, Mike came in and put some bass too them.Not much room for contributions when the guy writing the tunes doesn't isn't very interested in change,or accommodating anyone.When your as creative as Ed that's just how it is.
    I agree with some of the points above.

I have thought for a long time that Eddie bashing Mike has more to do with personal issues rather than Mike's value as a band member to Van Halen.

In the Eighties, Eddie disrespected both Dave and Mike's contributions to Van Halen. During this period, Eddie would also get into may fist fights with his own brother.

Basically, Eddie comes over as confrontational, negative, and not a nice guy to be around.

Eddie Van Halen, a thorn in the side for Mike, Dave and Alex?

When Dave left Van Halen in 1985 and did his interviews in 1986 to support EEAS, I got the impression of an overwhelming sense of relief that he had rid himself of all the negative woes and whining that came from Eddie Van Halen.

As for the fact that Eddie Van Halen kept Michael Anthony at arms length while recording Van Halen III and then ending up with a dire record; maybe this is a more accurate barometer of the true extent of Mike's positive contribution to all the Van Halen records that preceded it? I think so.

EVH diehard ...
    Dirty Movies!! Way to go Wolf! Obviously he loves FW,I wonder if he got addicted to the brown sound like we did?
    Need to get him on That Metal Show or something.I'd like to hear him go more in depth on this kind of stuff.

I know most here will think Amsterdam and Humans Being are clunkers.Don't kill me but I actually dig those tunes.I don't love em' but I do like em'.The riff in Amsterdam is sweet! The beginning of Humans Being is a fav of mine...it's so ominous.Similar to Aftershock,that's an evil begining a well.
    Amen .

I really like both of those songs . There's a really good live version of "Amsterdam" , from the 1995 Toronto PPV show . Eddie does some aggressive soloing on the second lead break . Lots of his high octane blues/rock licks , mixed with some wide bends and his chordal octave ideas .

"Human's Being" is a roller coaster . I love the semi-clean intro that gives way to those huge chords . The big chorus is nice , and i love all the counter melodies that Eddie plays . His solos on this tune are very , very good .

And yes , Dave would kill on some of those tracks !
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Roadie

Well I'm not really qualified to comment on Balance. So I retract my 'clunkers' statement

You see.. I'm not totally against Hagar era (although for 86 tour I did wear my custom made "Fuck Sammy" shirt. ha) ... but I lost track of VH after FUCK a bit. Don't think I every heard Balance til years later and to this day I don't own Balance and have only heard it 4-5 times.

What I do know... is "wham bam thank you ma'am, Amsterdam" or something like that --- so it has Sammy's god-awful lyrics. And this is my biggest problem w that era. Just can't get passed the bad lyrics on every song. But I am due to give Balance a listen w open ears and focus on the music mostly.

Git some!
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    Amen .

I really like both of those songs . There's a really good live version of "Amsterdam" , from the 1995 Toronto PPV show . Eddie does some aggressive soloing on the second lead break . Lots of his high octane blues/rock licks , mixed with some wide bends and his chordal octave ideas .

"Human's Being" is a roller coaster . I love the semi-clean intro that gives way to those huge chords . The big chorus is nice , and i love all the counter melodies that Eddie plays . His solos on this tune are very , very good .

I actually think "Humans Being" is one of the better Hagar tunes, mostly because Sam didn't write the lyrics. Eddie is out of Balance mode and leaning towards his old, heavy riffage
    Ready, Eddie!

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    Amen .

Hmm...never heard the '95 version.I'll check it out.

Totally agree about Human's Being...I love everything Ed did with that one.I love those counter melodies too.