Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
VH '84 split ... good or bad ??? - Page 10
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    That's cool Jack! Thanks for sharing.Wish I coulda been with ya at school to talk some VH.
    Besides myself there was three other dudes at my school that were addicted to the VH sound.Two of them were guitar players.To this day the best version of Eruption I've ever heard (besides Ed of course) was my friend Bill.His band used to play all the local parties,he'd play Eruption early and then play it again as an encore.It was a bunch of hammered guys yelling Eruption so he had no choice.We were always front and center being amazed! Good times!
    It was always fun talking about VH.Especially when a new record was released.
    "Dude,did you hear HAIL? Holy shit this record is fuckin' awesome"!!
    I wish I was around while that stuff was being released.
    That would have been truly incredible.
    In the end, I converted a couple of friends, but the conversations could never be as in depth as they are on this site.

Last night I borrowed my friend my copies of the Largo, Venezuela and Buenos Aires shows.
    His mind has been blown by them.
    I'm gonna let him read a couple of my books, too.
    Maybe some day he will know enough that I can discuss this stuff more in depth with him haha.
    Right now it's just about how much of a King Dave was/is, or me telling him the more obscure stuff like Eddie playing bass on FW.

Thread derailed.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    I wish I was around while that stuff was being released.
    That would have been truly incredible.
    In the end, I converted a couple of friends, but the conversations could never be as in depth as they are on this site.

Last night I borrowed my friend my copies of the Largo, Venezuela and Buenos Aires shows.
    His mind has been blown by them.
    I'm gonna let him read a couple of my books, too.
    Maybe some day he will know enough that I can discuss this stuff more in depth with him haha.
    Right now it's just about how much of a King Dave was/is, or me telling him the more obscure stuff like Eddie playing bass on FW.

Thread derailed.
    Looks like you're gonna have him schooled in no time.Excellent work professor!

EVH diehard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Take me off ignore for a sec, and check your inbox.

I loved the "back & forth", but i regret one part (i took it too far).

Truth is, i just don't play guitar much at all, anymore.
    It's a shame, but i sort of fell out of it years ago.
    I'm too impatient to regain my chops, i guess.

Instead, i do a lot of writing.
    One creative outlet for another.
    I didn't notice anything from you . Maybe you deleted your own post or PM to me ?
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

EVH diehard ...
    I've never really thought about someone loving both era's equally to tell ya the truth.I'm sure it's possible but usually your gonna lean one way or the other.I know that anyone who was buying the records in 1981,that I've known, doesn't like the Sam version better.Strangely,I'm sure there is someone out their who lived the Dave years but likes the music they made with Sam better...weird!

So true about the 'drug' reference.Honestly,before the internet I didn't think there was that many people that got the same 'addicted' type feeling from the six pack.I tried to explain to people before the internet it wasn't just the guitar playing but the actual sound...nothing like it.It was a tripp to see so many people that felt the same when I started trolling the web.

I really,really,wanted to love the Gary and Sam stuff each time a record was released.While some tunes I did like, it was just never anything I could love.
    Now,ADKOT I do love,but as much as I love it,it still doesn't come close to that 'addicting sound' feeling.
    Make no mistake , i'm a CVH fanatic ! The music has influenced me in ways that even my own parents haven't .
    I've stated countless times that i like all the eras , but the Roth stuff is my favorite . With all the topics about other bands on here , i feel like i should be allowed to mention the post Dave stuff .

At least Eddie and Alex are part of it ! LOL
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    I didn't notice anything from you . Maybe you deleted your own post or PM to me ?
    Nah, i sent it.

Maybe if i'm on ignore it blocks my p.m.'s.

I felt bad about the girlfriend comments, thought i took it too far.
    So i had apologized for that.

Roadie
    As someone who became a VH fan at the tail end of the Roth era, the change from DLR to Sammy (i was 8 in 1984) didnt really seem that drastic at the time, sure Dreams was a departure from Jump but then Good Enough seemed comparable to Panama so i was still "in" on VH, OU812 wasnt big on my radar and FUCK I did enjoy but lost interest in VH after that.

What might've been interesting in seeing is how they wouldve handled the arrival of Grunge while still having DLR as lead singer. Eddie still had/has his reserve of old music (as evident in ADKOT) so they still had "good music" to release and fill out 3 albums (5150, OU812, FUCK). But what grunge did to bury "hair metal" was something to behold. No band that rose up during the 80's glam/hair metal scene survived. Some of the bigger bands either disappeared (Warrant, Poison) or members left (Vince Neil Motley Crue). So the style of music VH was playing at the time seemed appropriate to survive, Poundcake, Runaround, Right Now all were on constant rotation on MTV along with Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains. So i wonder had DLR stayed if Ed would have felt some pressure to change musically anyway in order to survive while DLR would've welcomed the challenge and continue writing songs about hard drinking, fast living and womanizing.

It's fair to say fans that followed VH from the start matured along with the band so the style of music they played seemed right, yet it seems the younger generation would have embraced the style of music played during the Roth era but the guys singing about it (Warrant, Poison, Motley) sucked at delivering the message so maybe that's why they went away and VH would have still been on top after the dust had settled.

It's important to note that heavy metal was also starting to get more traction in the mainstream so VH could have relied on harder, edgier stuff if need be.
    Last edited by ErickC; June 6th, 2013 at 06:21 PM.

Band Manager
    Make no mistake , i'm a CVH fanatic ! The music has influenced me in ways that even my own parents haven't .
    I've stated countless times that i like all the eras , but the Roth stuff is my favorite . With all the topics about other bands on here , i feel like i should be allowed to mention the post Dave stuff .

At least Eddie and Alex are part of it ! LOL
    Oh,I already know that about you Robbie.I was just speaking on the topic in general.Hadn't thought about it til now.
    I'll take it a step further,there's probably someone out their that grew up during the Roth years but likes the Cherone era better.

EVH diehard ...
    Oh,I already know that about you Robbie.I was just speaking on the topic in general.Hadn't thought about it til now.
    I'll take it a step further,there's probably someone out their that grew up during the Roth years but likes the Cherone era better.
    Thanks , man !

The Cherone stuff WAS a lot different . I'll certainly admit that . There was still a fair amount of great guitar moments on there though , IMO .
    I'm sure that there are fans who might prefer one (or both) of the post Roth eras . There's also a few who like them all , and have respect for each in their own way . I'd consider myself in that category .
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

Band Manager
    Thanks , man !

The Cherone stuff WAS a lot different . I'll certainly admit that . There was still a fair amount of great guitar moments on there though , IMO .
    I'm sure that there are fans who might prefer one (or both) of the post Roth eras . There's also a few who like them all , and have respect for each in their own way . I'd consider myself in that category .
    I agree.For as bad as it was there still are some good moments.One I want and Dirty Water Dog I dig.Love the jam fade out on DWD.

EVH diehard ...
    I agree.For as bad as it was there still are some good moments.One I want and Dirty Water Dog I dig.Love the jam fade out on DWD.
    Some of Ed's playing was pretty wild on that album . Too bad the guys didn't tour first , before the release . I think "III" might have gotten a better reception .
    I won't say that i love the whole record , but there's enough cool stuff on there to make me happy .
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."