Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Which guitars EVH played on what - Page 3
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    EVH diehard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Attachment 43340Attachment 43341Attachment 43342Attachment 43343

http://m.musicradar.com/news/guitars...es-paul-216723

It is thought he used his old Les Paul Jr on the solo for ATBL. May have probably used his '59 Sunburst on WACF, in addition to the stock Ibanez he borrowed from Chris Holmes, and of course the Destroyer and Frankies. Some speculate he cut the bottom horn off his old Les Paul Jr later on to hit the high sliding solo notes in Dirty Movies.

Don't hear much about the one he painted with frankiestripes.

Attachment 43344
    Those are some great photos !
    I love seeing those kinds of shots . Eddie mentioned the "horn sawing" incident in a GW interview , after the 1984 tour .

It's a great read - "The Life and Times of Edward Van Halen" .
    Last edited by rawkinrobbievh1; May 18th, 2013 at 08:14 PM.
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    It's a club days shot .
    My guess would be '76-'77 .

Our member with the username garbeaj , would be able to answer that with authority .
    I'm late to this, but the shot of the sunburst strat is indeed from '76...

Band Manager
    Attachment 43340Attachment 43341Attachment 43342Attachment 43343

http://m.musicradar.com/news/guitars...es-paul-216723

It is thought he used his old Les Paul Jr on the solo for ATBL. May have probably used his '59 Sunburst on WACF, in addition to the stock Ibanez he borrowed from Chris Holmes, and of course the Destroyer and Frankies. Some speculate he cut the bottom horn off his old Les Paul Jr later on to hit the high sliding solo notes in Dirty Movies.

Attachment 43344
    I've never heard anyone making a claim that Ed used the Les Paul Jr. pictured in the Dave Bhang album photo session outtakes on "ATBL"...there is Coral Electric Sitar overdubbed on the solos from "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" and the main guitar is almost certainly the Frankenstein since there is tremolo use on the solo.

There really isn't any speculation about the guitar that Ed used for the slide overdubs on "Dirty Movies"...Eddie directly stated on more than one occasion that he used a white SG-style Gibson Les Paul Jr. (with the lower horn sawed off for easier access to the higher "off-the-fretboard" notes) for these slide parts. It is a completely different guitar from the sunburst Les Paul Jr. that Ed is holding in the first album
    cover outtakes. If you look at the Vintage Kramer website you can see the pictures of the guitar storage area at 5150 and you can see what appears to be the sunburst Les Paul Jr. and the white SG-style Les Paul Jr. hanging among many other guitars...

I would strongly recommend looking up jimi1152's posts. He has far and away the most knowledge about Ed's guitars. If you look up his posts, you'll probably have every question answered when it comes to what guitar Ed used or likely used live or on record. I learned most of what I know about Ed's guitars from him.
    Last edited by garbeaj; June 25th, 2013 at 06:40 PM.

Roadie
    some speculate he cut the bottom horn off his old Les Paul Jr later on to hit the high sliding solo notes in Dirty Movies.

Attachment 43344
    Yeah thought I read that a lot of Fair Warning was w a Les Paul.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by thismusicsux View Post
    Yeah thought I read that a lot of Fair Warning was w a Les Paul.
    I've never seen an interview where Ed mentions using a regular Les Paul on any recording. The only time he mentioned using a "Les Paul" that I have seen was when he mentioned using the SG Les Paul Jr. on "Dirty Movies"...

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    I've never heard anyone making a claim that Ed used the Les Paul Jr. pictured in the Dave Bhang album photo session outtakes on "ATBL"...there is Coral Electric Sitar overdubbed on the solos from "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" and the main guitar is almost certainly the Frankenstein since there is tremolo use on the solo.
    I've never seen an interview where Ed mentions using a regular Les Paul on any recording. The only time he mentioned using a "Les Paul" that I have seen was when he mentioned using the SG Les Paul Jr. on "Dirty Movies"...
    Yeah, it is well known that he doubled the " A.T.B.L. " solo with the Coral Electric Sitar on VH1, ( from as far back as Jas Obrecht's GP article in April 1980 ). I think I was also mistaken about the tune, could of been " Y.R.G.M. or Devil, not sure. But I do know I read comments and speculation as to whether he recorded with a LP on albums or demo's. I wish I'd posted the link to where I read that, cos now I can't remember. Seem to recall it was from a Metroamp website thread, not sure. I use words such as " speculate , and " maybe " to point out it didn't come directly from an EVH quote, but am certain I read talk and curiosity of him using a LP on VH1, WACF, and Fair Warning. " You Really Got Me, Loss Of Control, Devil" come to mind as " possiblities, although unconfirmed. Pure speculation. I really don't know, my comments weren't posted as fact .But at the time of the post I was mainly searching for information on the early demo recordings, so it may of been in referance to that, IDK. Either way, my post came out wrong and full of holes. I know the Sunburst and the white Les Paul Jr are different guitars he had gotten at different times , as can clearly be seen by the photographs. My interest is strictly from a fan's perspective. I will take your word on these matters and follow your advice by reading up your guys posts sometime. It would be cool to have an in depth chronological account of everything EVH used in the studio and on which tracks from the early demo's up to 1984.

Most here know of all this, but I'll post these links anyways in case someone else wants to read it.

http://wwwc.dcns.ne.jp/~epi/english.html

http://www.valleywebs.com/van-halen/guitars.html

http://woodytone.com/2009/08/24/the-...alen-i-guitar/

http://www.legendarytones.com/brownsound.html

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?+=23216
    Last edited by Heisenberg; June 26th, 2013 at 05:55 PM. Reason: fix spelling and add link

EVH diehard ...
    I'm late to this, but the shot of the sunburst strat is indeed from '76...
    I thought so , but i figured you'd know for sure .
    Thanks , garbeaj .

It's nice too see you posting on here a bit more lately .
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

No cheer******s allowed!
    No Les Paul.

If you read all those early interviews (Life & Times Of Edward Van Halen, plus the GP Jas Obrecht interview from 1980),
    he explains he used the Ibanez Destroyer on things like "Runnin with the devil", "Jamie's Cryin," and "On Fire," basically song's with
    no tremolo bar activity.
    He even used the Destroyer on the rhythm work on, Bottom's up, and all of "Outta love again."

The Frankie was used on the other tunes, stuff where the bar was used.

"Loss of control" was an Ibanez Destroyer.
    "Romeo Delight" was also an Ibanez Destroyer.

EVH diehard ...
    Eddie has been known to flub some details in the past !

There's plenty of photos of him with a Les Paul , both posed and live . I wouldn't be surprised if one appeared on some tracks along the way .
    Why would he have Les Paul guitars from the early days up until the 90's ? Some were even striped and one had a Floyd Rose installed !!!

It's not far fetched to think they may have made an appearance on an album .
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."