Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Van Halen brings you back!
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Roadie

Van Halen brings you back!

so if you're late 30's or older and grew up on Van Halen in their prime....certain music will bring you back to younger days growing up (especially VH music). Certain VH albums and songs can bring you back to specific times in your life.

Unfortunately I was just about 8 or 9 when I first discovered VH - like 80/81...so bummed I missed some of the earlier years first hand. Some songs immediately bring me back to a certain time when I hear them now. I can get a nostalgic feeling (for lack of a better term), like I'm transported back to a teenager in my room with VH posters all over the wall ;-)

So what are the biggest songs from each album that bring back memories for you? Almost any VH song can bring certain memories back.. but for me some of the biggest are....

1. Running w The Devil:
    At the time I remember 'satanic' music being the big thing. We'd take Led Zepplin 'Black Dog' and spin the record backwards and hear the crazy shit like ... 'Here's to my sweet Satan..." remember that??? So anyway RWTD brings me back to that timeframe and thinking this song was in the same line as those with the title and all. Definitely KLOS radio station if you're from LA.

2. D.O.A.
    This one is huge for me. Just the opening guitar line. I can almost feel a specific day sitting in my room in awe listening to VHII. Women In Love is right there with it. VHII in general is probably the biggest album that brings me back in time this way for some reason.

3. And The Cradle Will Rock
    Mostly remember hearing this one on radio a lot (KLOS) so I always think of that.

4. Unchained/So This Is Love/HAIL
    The biggest thing here was waiting and waiting to see these 3 videos on MTV or Friday Night Videos. At a time before the internet and twitter you had to wait and wait to see anything from your favorite band. Circus, Cream, Hit Parader magazines were also huge to see and read about VH.

5. Where Have All The Good Times Gone / US Fest
    This was the 1st brand new VH record I bought when it came out...I think the opening cymbal splash and guitar riff are the biggest memory. And the US Fest. I can remember waiting to record this.

6. 1984
    By this time I was in Junior High and a total VH fanatic. Almost any song can bring me back on this one...but the biggest thing I remember was being a Tuesday release I was in school and so worried that the new VH album would be sold out by the time I got out of school.... I had my mom go buy the album for me and then pick me up at school. I can remember running out to the car when school let out super excited to get a glimpse of the new album and rushing home to listen. The album intro and going into Jump is a pretty big flashback too whenever I listen to this one front-to-back. Plus all the videos on MTV.

Ah yes.... VH has given us some great memories.
    Last edited by thismusicsux; April 18th, 2013 at 11:47 AM.

I know the law, friend.
    I think this has the potential to be a great thread

• Jamie's Cryin' - When I was 14 or so, I was at Hershey Park with my brother Tom, his wife and his daughters, Nessie & Jamie. We were heading to the car after a long, fun day of riding rides, playing arcade games and eating junk food. My neice Jamie was like 5 at the time and was upset that we were leaving so she started balling her eyes out. His wife comes back from the restroom and asks what's the matter and he goes, "Jamie's cryin'", and then we both burst out into song "oooh ooohh oooohhhh Jamie's Cryin' wow! wow!"
    • Spanish Fly - I can still smell the wood that made up the stereo rack in my bedroom as a kid. That familiar "hmmmm" from Eddie as I imagine him chomping on a cig before he taps the opening harmonics of this instrumental. The first time I heard this song I was sitting on the edge of my bed with these big, clunky, white headphones on and I was floored that he had done an acoustic Eruption-like solo. The speed and accuracy of it still floor me.
    • Romeo Delight - It's the reason I always took Jack Daniels to the party in college. It always did the trick too.
    • Meanstreet - My friend Jim told me Van Halen wasn't heavy. I played Meanstreet for him. He didn't get past the intro before his mind was blown. I followed it up with a tour de force through VH I and II.
    • Little Guitars - When I was growing up we used to go camping every weekend at the same campground that a lot of kids from Philadelphia would camp at. It was really cool because they'd get a lot of new music before I would. For instance, they had GnR Appetite for Destruction before anybody. Pearl Jam Ten also. But I was always able to turn them on to older music that they never heard before. When I hear Little Guitars I think of the time I was sitting on the dock at the lake with my radio (I always had my radio and/or a basketball with me) Marsha said, "play that 'senorita' song, I really like that one." And then she went on to do a David Lee Roth imitation ala the Jump video, where he puts his hands together, arms straight to form a triangle in front of his crotch, and hops towards the camera.......know what I mean?
    • I'll Wait - Any song off 1984 reminds me of the day my brother Anthony gave it to me for my birthday! But this song is my favorite song off the album. And to hear VH in album quality, after listening to the first two on 8 tracks, just blew me away. I can still remember what it was like after all these years.
    Last edited by cowboydan; April 18th, 2013 at 04:45 AM.
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation

So what are the biggest songs from each album that bring back memories for you?
    1 - Atomic Punk - the debut record is amazing and definitely a must have item. I love all the tunes there - AP is pretty different since the lyrics are different, there are no backing vocals and those things EVH does (rubbing his hand back and forth across the strings) are pretty cool.

2 - Dance the Night Away - 1st Van Halen song I heard in my life. Love at 1st listen.

3 - In a Simple Rhyme - What a perfect VH song. It has everything. It was like VH being Led Zep for a while.

4 - Unchained/So This Is Love/HAIL - I'm with TMS here - it is impossible to me to think of FW and NOT think of those 03 videos - great memories come to mind. It's a shame we still can't put our hands in such musical gem like this unreleased video stuff to this day.

5 - Secrets/Full Bug - Damn - I remember the 1st time I heard DD back to late 1982. Loved all the tunes and got a hook for these 02 I mentioned. The musical diversity in that album is still immense IMHO.

6 - Drop Dead Legs - Probably the least favourite =VH= song of many posters around here, DDL is a hell of a great tune. Love the solo, love the drums sound, love the lyrics and the melodies. I used to listen to DDL several times every day back then.
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

TROUBLE BUSTIN' THROUGH
    Mean Street: FIRST VH tune I listened to and was hooked since. Love driving around and night in the city blasting this tune fits perfect.

D.O.A: Brings me back to my youth cutting class and getting chased by cops at the local handball courts trying to drag us back to school.

Drop Dead Legs: Official Summertime song! Stuck in my head from July- August

EVH diehard ...
    My first VH album was 1984 . That whole record brings back fond memories .
    I agree with GRAZI and Simon , that DDL is a great tune !!!

Soon after that , i got the debut album . I've been a lifelong fanatic ever since ...
    NOTHING tops this band or it's music IMO .
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

TROUBLE BUSTIN' THROUGH
    Im 30 so I missed VH with Dave... My Aunt gave me ou812 knew nothing about VH thought to myself ... 'wow the guitar player is awesome, singer was annoying'
    went to the store picked up Fair Warning and was like 'who the fuck is this dude singing? sounded so much better with more attitude. So ou812 still to this day used as a coaster.
    At that point I was hooked to the original VH.

EVH diehard ...
    That's a cool story !
    My mom bought me the OU812 cassette when it came out . By that time i had all the Roth albums , as well as 5150 .
    I knew about the split and had already gotten into the Sammy stuff .

Even though i preferred the six pack , that version of the band had broken up . I was (and still am) such an Eddie fanatic , that i had to keep hearing his music .
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

I know the law, friend.
    5150 reminds me of CYO basketball and my best friend. Summer Nights and Dreams were standouts. Especially because of the Blue Angels video and the popularity of the movie Top Gun. My best friend was obsessed with jets so it all kinda fit.

OU812 reminds me of the pool. I used to pop that in my walkman while sitting by the pool in the summer. I still love a lot of those songs.

FUCK reminds me of the campground again. I started driving around that time I think, so I listened to that one a lot during that summer while practicing my parallel parking, and driving around the campground.

Balance reminds me of my freshman year in college. Mostly because it was the first time in my life that I met other tried and true Van Halen fans! It was also the first time that I heard Crossing Over, which is my favorite song they ever did with Hagar. I'll never forget the 4 of us getting a sweet hookup to see Van Hagar at the Merriweather Post Pavilion during the Balance Tour for $10 each for lawn seats. My first VH concert and they rocked. It was outstanding and Eddie was on fire! Best $10 I've ever spent.

III reminds me of living in Harrisburg, PA. I can still put myself right back in my car pulling out of the McDonald's on 441 listening to Without You for the first time on the radio. I still really like that song. I ate a patty melt that day..........damn they were good. Why don't they make those anymore?
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-

EVH diehard ...
    Okay , did i log onto TheTwilightZone.com ?
    What's with all this Hagar era appreciation ? I've been getting hazed for two years on here every time i mention his name ...

I'm not complaining . I LOVE IT !!!!!

Great post , Dan .
    I'm glad those albums have some good memories for you
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

Only a little tardy
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    Okay , did i log onto TheTwilightZone.com ?
    What's with all this Hagar era appreciation ? I've been getting hazed for two years on here every time i mention his name ...

I'm not complaining . I LOVE IT !!!!!

Great post , Dan .
    I'm glad those albums have some good memories for you
    You are dreaming this. There is no CVH. Only Legion.