Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Van Halen brings you back! - Page 2
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    EVH diehard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    You are dreaming this. There is no CVH. Only Legion.
    LOL , well put !

I might be dreaming , but for some on here this could seem like a nightmare
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAZI View Post
    Im 30 so I missed VH with Dave... My Aunt gave me ou812 knew nothing about VH thought to myself ... 'wow the guitar player is awesome, singer was annoying'
    went to the store picked up Fair Warning and was like 'who the fuck is this dude singing? sounded so much better with more attitude. So ou812 still to this day used as a coaster.
    At that point I was hooked to the original VH.
    Ah nice! >> Fair Warning is a great (1st) album to get introduced to VH.

Great stories. Glad most of us here can relate to this topic. I enjoy hearing about everyone's initial love for VH and how different songs bring back certain memories. It's a trip how music can pull you back.
    Last edited by thismusicsux; April 18th, 2013 at 11:48 AM.

Groupie
    I remember it was 1982 or around that time and I saw the "Holy Grail" videos from the Oakland '81 show of UC, STIL and HAIL. It was the best experience a 9 yr kid like me could ever wish for. I started taking guitar lessons (classical) at that time too, and not only did EVH guitar LOOK like nothing I had seen before the sounds and tone he got was mind boggling to me just as well. And to see DLR jumping off the drums and doing the high kicks to music was the best thing ever. They looked like, and sound like no other band. I was a fan ever since! Plus seeing the VH lit up made it clear to me why all the older, cooler kids in the neighborhood where wearing the shirts, patches, pins and the random VH spray painted on the walls around the city and that they were the Mighty Van Halen!!!

By the way how great is The Roth Show!

Like Mike
    I was hardly around in the classic days, but great thread.

The intro to "Women in Love" instantly takes me back to a road trip I had with my extended family up to the Sunshine Coast, in Queensland, Australia. It reminds me of the swimming pool and hotel we stayed at on the way there. I was 12 or 13 back then.

F.U.C.K reminds me of when I was about 4, and Dad put on the Right Here, Right Now concert VHS on the tv. Also kind of reminds me of that road trip.

I usually associate WACF with this busy road near my house, for some reason. Not that great of a memory.

"Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" takes me back to when I was first getting into the band. My Dad turned it up in the car and said "hear this, this is real Van Halen!". "Unchained" also had me captivated around that time.

DD mostly reminds me of various summers. Nothing too specific.

III takes me back to when I was younger, I think about six or so. But it just reminds me of areas near my house.

"Little Guitars" and "Romeo Delight" take me back to that road trip, too.

? ? ? ?
    Eruption/YRGM...It was 1980 when I 1st heard it.I was 13. There was a carnival that came thru the town in July every year.
    There was this ferris wheel type ride that had these egg shaped cages that would spin around in a complete circle. There were two popular BURN OUTS that were famous for making this cage spin as fast as anyone could spin it. Everytime they would get on the ride they would pass a couple of doobies to the carny running the ride and tell him to play Eruption/YRGM.The crowd that gathered including me would cheer them on to make it spin as fast as it could.

D.O.AThe local bowling ally had a mini jukebox at the snack counter and for a Dollar we could play 6 songs...6 songs for a buck man thoses were the days. We order up our burgers and fries and play D.O.A 6 times in a row singing as loud as we could. people would stare but we didn't care we were havin a blast. Even the short order cook would chime in on the chorus line ((("Dead or Aliiiiiive.... dead or alive".)))

MeanstreetNow this song brings me back to the days were I would double my friend Tommy on his bike while he sat on the handle bars and we would go to the next city over from us so we could smoke doobies with his girlfriend and her lady friend.... DOOBIES theres that word again. Anyhow Tommy would always bring his Boom Box and when we started out on our little road trip thats the song we started to.....(Man I had some good lookin legs back then)from peddling my ass off
    Last edited by MrSmooth67; April 18th, 2013 at 06:45 PM.
    Why behave in public if your living on a playground?

EVH diehard ...
    If i was to post what every VH song meant to me or reminded me of , this message would be 300 pages long !
    Suffice it to say that VH music has been the soundtrack to my life , and i've seen a LOT !!!
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

My oldest brother is 9 years older than me. I grew up getting pumped with everything that he loved. Black sabbath, pink Floyd, AC/DC, Kiss etc and finally VH in 1978. I was 6 and remember exactly how I felt hearing Running With the Devil for the first time. That bass intro then the hihat count off into that short piano run, then it's on. I listened in silence and amazement. Then, Eruption... I couldn't believe my ears!!! I was sold. THAT solo made me want to play music. I wanted to play guitar of course but took up the drums instead. Been playing for 25 years, I've put out 5 CDs, toured for 9 years all over the world and finally met my wife after I moved to California. All because of music and it all began on that day.

I have a ton of other great memories with the other VH albums, but none of them top this.

EVH diehard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff7877 View Post
    My oldest brother is 9 years older than me. I grew up getting pumped with everything that he loved. Black sabbath, pink Floyd, AC/DC, Kiss etc and finally VH in 1978. I was 6 and remember exactly how I felt hearing Running With the Devil for the first time. That bass intro then the hihat count off into that short piano run, then it's on. I listened in silence and amazement. Then, Eruption... I couldn't believe my ears!!! I was sold. THAT solo made me want to play music. I wanted to play guitar of course but took up the drums instead. Been playing for 25 years, I've put out 5 CDs, toured for 9 years all over the world and finally met my wife after I moved to California. All because of music and it all began on that day.

I have a ton of other great memories with the other VH albums, but none of them top this.
    That's a great story !
    Music really does have a magic power . It can change people's lives . Clearly , it did in your case too .
    Thanks for sharing ...
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

EVH diehard ...
    I still think that the intro to ATBL is one of the best ever . It's deceptively simple , but speaks volumes in terms of "cool" and "swagger" .
    No band has matched that to this day IMO .
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."