Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Spam vs New Members ?
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 190
  1. #1
    EVH diehard ...
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,146

    Spam vs New Members ?

    So ... , there's been an awful lot of fake posters , multiple aliases and user accounts on here lately .
    These kinds of losers will always find a loophole to sign in if we allow them .

    Why not close down registration for new members ? Really , would it be that bad ?
    This site has the elders who've been VH fans from the beginning . There's also those who've come along midway , as well as a few recent newcomers .

    We've got all the bases covered and can obviously have some detailed chats about everything VH related .

    The spam issue is annoying , but so is the twisted angle of people using this site as a form of personal amusement to cause havoc .
    To kill a snake you have to cut off the head ...
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

  2. #2
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Posts
    3,078
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    So ... , there's been an awful lot of fake posters , multiple aliases and user accounts on here lately .
    These kinds of losers will always find a loophole to sign in if we allow them .

    Why not close down registration for new members ? Really , would it be that bad ?
    This site has the elders who've been VH fans from the beginning . There's also those who've come along midway , as well as a few recent newcomers .

    We've got all the bases covered and can obviously have some detailed chats about everything VH related .

    The spam issue is annoying , but so is the twisted angle of people using this site as a form of personal amusement to cause havoc .
    To kill a snake you have to cut off the head ...
    Classic!
    Rolling on the fucking floor, laughing my ass off!!
    You are a hoot.

    How about this...all us "real members" just exchange email addresses, and have group discussions via email?
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.


  3. #3
    EVH diehard ...
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,146
    When you have a cockroach problem , it can seem daunting ...

    If you seal off the entryway (to help rid the possibility of more annoying pests getting in) . you can concentrate on the little f**kers that are already invading .
    They you kill them off . One by one .

    The Mods on here should consider this ... Haha
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

  4. #4
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Posts
    3,078
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    When you have a cockroach problem , it can seem daunting ...

    If you seal off the entryway (to help rid the possibility of more annoying pests getting in) . you can concentrate on the little f**kers that are already invading .
    They you kill them off . One by one .

    The Mods on here should consider this ... Haha
    The spam is a big problem, I completely agree. But closing off a message board like this one would kill the board.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.


  5. #5
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    There's only like eight of us to begin with.

    If we include the trolls, maybe there's four of us!

  6. #6
    EVH diehard ...
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,146
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    There's only like eight of us to begin with.

    If we include the trolls, maybe there's four of us!
    Exactly !

    Weed out the riff raff , and then look at having new members join . The remaining people on here would still be able to chat/argue/do our thing .
    It wouldn't close down the site in any way at all .
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

  7. #7
    Like Mike
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,338
    The trolls make it fun.

    Leave the site how it is, but find a way to counter the spam.

  8. #8
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    Exactly !

    Weed out the riff raff , and then look at having new members join . The remaining people on here would still be able to chat/argue/do our thing .
    It wouldn't close down the site in any way at all .
    Maybe Brett can create a tiny forum just for us, on his site.

    It could be the: Derelicts from that other site, forum.

    We'd be banned from the main portion of the Links, but could co-exist in the little forum on the bottom.

  9. #9
    EVH diehard ...
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,146
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    The trolls make it fun.

    Leave the site how it is, but find a way to counter the spam.
    I don't agree , other than the spam part .
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

  10. #10
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Posts
    3,078
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    The trolls make it fun.

    Leave the site how it is, but find a way to counter the spam.
    I wanna be a troll!

    I'm kind of honored that people think I have been acting out multiple characters here. In fact, just to make this place seem more active and essential, I think we are all OBLIGATED to create various troll persona's.
    Rawkin, you can pretend to be a Hagar hatin' curmudgeon, who thinks EVH ruined both bands. I will try my hand as a Hagar lovin', barbecuing biker, who just digs happy hour blues bands, and Cabo Wabo Tequila!
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. The spam threads...
    By NE169 in forum Non-VH Related Stuff
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: April 15th, 2013, 03:06 PM
  2. Spam in the News forum
    By A.J. MASSEY in forum Feed Back to Webmaster
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 2nd, 2008, 09:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •