Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Brand new Rolling Stone interview with Dave - Page 5
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    How so? "Eddie doesn't want to work, but me and Alex do, and we'd like Mike along for the ride." Okay, so what's your idea of what happens next? They form a no-guitar drum n' bass band and play Coachella?
    I think Roth just continues doing other projects until EVH wants to work again. Alex is probably shit outta luck, but maybe he will drum with Roth on some project (I don't see Mike doing it with them though).

During the upcoming tour, things will likely get sorted (for good or bad). I think nothing happens, and they continue to be dysfunctional, and maybe release a new record (possibly with Mike).
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Git some!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    I believe Roth has perused VH forums, and unless your band is at the very top of the charts and cruising along like the Rolling Stones or Justin Beiber, the band is gonna want to get a feel for what their fans are interested in.

Roth referred to MA as "the bass player" in his book, he isn't suddenly a huge MA fan. I think he understands that MA had an important role, and maybe even appreciates his more now that he has had to deal with the brother's all alone.

I think Mike loathes DLR.

Roth is definitely dropping Al's name conspicuously.
    I think you're on to something. He probably went back and listened to the classic albums. Mike's vocals aren't hard to miss.

I think loathing would be too strong of a word. Maybe detests. Annoyed seems to fit as well. Every interview I've read from Mike that mentioned Dave, he always seemed to have said he never got along with him at all and that he didn't take him very serious. Granted, many of those interviews were in the Hagar years too, so there is a bit of bias.

But Dave seems be on track with Mike. He knows. It seems he's hinting at a classic reunion. Maybe he has read the forums?

Wouldn't go as far to say a Van Hagar reunion though. That ship sailed and was scuttled as soon as Hagar released that "tell-all" book.
    Ready, Eddie!

Quote Originally Posted by cowboydan View Post
    I don't know, but I'm trying to caution you against wild speculation 2 hours after reading a Rolling Stone article with DLR.

All of a sudden you have Dave, Alex, John 5 and Michael Anthony playing Coachella under the name Van Halen! Settle down turbo.
    Oh, I see, because before my post we've heard that we wouldn't see a new album until 2016, a Van Hagar reunion is underway, the band never makes another album, Mike is back, and some guy named Cowboydan said, "I have a bad feeling Dave's about to get hung out to dry again." But I see your point, I should "settle down, turbo," just not everybody else. Gotcha.

And 1234, I was more responding to a combo of you saying you didn't believe they were in contact every day combined with Cowboydan saying he didn't believe Alex was really on Dave's side in all this.

* EDIT: I didn't say they would play Coachella as Van Halen with Joe Satriani or John 5 on guitar. I said a lineup like that would be lucky to make gold and would play a House of Blues at best, and I never said they would do it as Van Halen. I said The Other Three Quarters (because there was once a band called The Other Half).

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by EVH_Erupted View Post
    I think you're on to something. He probably went back and listened to the classic albums. Mike's vocals aren't hard to miss.

I think loathing would be too strong of a word. Maybe detests. Annoyed seems to fit as well. Every interview I've read from Mike that mentioned Dave, he always seemed to have said he never got along with him at all and that he didn't take him very serious. Granted, many of those interviews were in the Hagar years too, so there is a bit of bias.

But Dave seems be on track with Mike. He knows. It seems he's hinting at a classic reunion. Maybe he has read the forums?

Wouldn't go as far to say a Van Hagar reunion though. That ship sailed and was scuttled as soon as Hagar released that "tell-all" book.
    I was kinda joking about the Van Hagar reunion.

You are right, "loathes" might be too strong. Your description is better, like you said "annoyed", and " didn't take him him very serious". He seemed confused by Roth, and kinda put off by Roth's "intensity" and egomania. Roth has gotta be a lot to handle, but if you wanna be in a great, classic band, you are gonna have to tolerate some extreme behavior.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

I think Mike originally bashed Dave because he was trying to be a good employee of the brothers. Later after he got with Hagar but Dave's book came out only calling him "the bass player," Mike figured he'd just go ahead and nuke him. Maybe also figuring it was a Japanese magazine Dave would never see.

* EDIT: Meaning, Mike probably doesn't really loathe or detest Dave, those were just the comments that fit the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Great post, Mallon.

Wow.

I'm speechless.

Those Michael Anthony comments i did not expect.
    At one point, i realized, Sum was kinda right all along, on this one.
    Christ, even Dave realizes that you do kinda need Mike.
    So, admitedly, i begin to question what i've thought i thought, all along.
    Dave get's it, Sum got it, why didn't i?

Not trying to kiss ass here, but starting to wonder if i was completely wrong, all along.
    Dave want's to do this thing WITH Mike, which makes some of his "off-hand" comments, regarding Wolf, kind
    of telling.

Also, Dave sounds like the old Dave, here.
    He's very funny, sharp, basically the complete opposite of those youtube vids.
    I see his side on this thing, i feel his frustration with Eddie.
    Now, i kinda get it.

Fuck, i'd be frustrated too.
    I don't understand why Eddie keeps sabotaging such a good thing, why he's so non-communicative?
    I know someone like that, and it can frustrate the hell out of you.
    Dave wants to capitalize on this, create...
    Ed seems indifferent, undecided.

Wow.

What an interview, not what i expected.
    I have kinda been feeling this since they got back with Dave. I felt he was going along with it just to get back in the mix but that he wasnt 100% happy with it or Ed. And yea i like the new album but have always felt the whole thing from rehashing songs to the limited tour and lack of anything else around the album that Ed was just doing it to do it. And the whole thing was rather lazy. And i have said since day one that Mike was out for no other reason then to get wolf in the band.

I know the law, friend.
    Oh, I see, because before my post we've heard that we wouldn't see a new album until 2016, a Van Hagar reunion is underway, the band never makes another album, Mike is back, and some guy named Cowboydan said, "I have a bad feeling Dave's about to get hung out to dry again." But I see your point, I should "settle down, turbo," just not everybody else. Gotcha.

And 1234, I was more responding to a combo of you saying you didn't believe they were in contact every day combined with Cowboydan saying he didn't believe Alex was really on Dave's side in all this.

* EDIT: I didn't say they would play Coachella as Van Halen with Joe Satriani or John 5 on guitar. I said a lineup like that would be lucky to make gold and would play a House of Blues at best, and I never said they would do it as Van Halen. I said The Other Three Quarters (because there was once a band called The Other Half).
    Point taken, sorry, I'm pretty worked up over this article. I'm bummed, and I'm pissed at both Eddie and Dave right now.

But where did you get that one quote from earlier? I didn't see anything like that in the article. This quote: "Eddie doesn't want to work, but me and Alex do, and we'd like Mike along for the ride."

Did Dave say that or were you paraphrasing?
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-

Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    I think Roth just continues doing other projects until EVH wants to work again. Alex is probably shit outta luck, but maybe he will drum with Roth on some project (I don't see Mike doing it with them though).

During the upcoming tour, things will likely get sorted (for good or bad). I think nothing happens, and they continue to be dysfunctional, and maybe release a new record (possibly with Mike).
    I think the tour happens and the they all go back to there caves and pull the rock over the door.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboydan View Post
    But where did you get that one quote from earlier? I didn't see anything like that in the article. This quote: "Eddie doesn't want to work, but me and Alex do, and we'd like Mike along for the ride."

Did Dave say that or were you paraphrasing?
    That's fine. And yes, I'm paraphrasing. Dave says he and Al thought the dance remix was a good idea, they want to be active, and then has the line about "some of our friends" throwing away "Maserati-style" talent, so that's what I get out of that.

For some reason I'm not bummed by this article, I find it hysterical and exciting.

I think 1234 is closest to right. Maybe Van Halen is about to go silent again, and Dave will record an eccentric rock musical based on his own life with lots of tap dancing, aided by the metal chicken pickin' of John 5, that will go plywood and get some laughs on Blabbermouth.net. Wolf makes an impression on a younger generation of rock fans with Tremonti and Eddie tries to figure out how to sell us striped capos and kazoos.

That's fine. And yes, I'm paraphrasing. Dave says he and Al thought the dance remix was a good idea, they want to be active, and then has the line about "some of our friends" throwing away "Maserati-style" talent, so that's what I get out of that.

For some reason I'm not bummed by this article, I find it hysterical and exciting.

I think 1234 is closest to right. Maybe Van Halen is about to go silent again, and Dave will record an eccentric rock musical based on his own life with lots of tap dancing, aided by the metal chicken pickin' of John 5, that will go plywood and get some laughs on Blabbermouth.net. Wolf makes an impression on a younger generation of rock fans with Tremonti and Eddie tries to figure out how to sell us striped capos and kazoos.
    Yea i hear ya i came to the reality of VH future a few years ago and have all ready come to grips that ADKOT will be there last.