Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Brand new Rolling Stone interview with Dave - Page 6
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallonmusic View Post
    I have kinda been feeling this since they got back with Dave. I felt he was going along with it just to get back in the mix but that he wasnt 100% happy with it or Ed. And yea i like the new album but have always felt the whole thing from rehashing songs to the limited tour and lack of anything else around the album that Ed was just doing it to do it. And the whole thing was rather lazy. And i have said since day one that Mike was out for no other reason then to get wolf in the band.
    Dave actually SAYING, "We haven't written a new song in twenty years, all this recent material was from before we were signed..."

That's a pretty bold statement.
    He's sending out a flare, with that.

Again, great post with this RS interview, Mallon.
    This is a tough one to digest.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    I think Mike originally bashed Dave because he was trying to be a good employee of the brothers. Later after he got with Hagar but Dave's book came out only calling him "the bass player," Mike figured he'd just go ahead and nuke him. Maybe also figuring it was a Japanese magazine Dave would never see.

* EDIT: Meaning, Mike probably doesn't really loathe or detest Dave, those were just the comments that fit the circumstances.
    I think Mike genuinely doesn't like Roth, though he might not "hate" him. I think Mike is just a "bro", and really can't relate to Roth's rockstar bravado, and diva behavior. I think Mike doesn't like that, and never really seemed to understand what it was that people liked about Roth. That's why I don't think they would bother playing together outside of Van Halen.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Dave actually SAYING, "We haven't written a new song in twenty years, all this recent material was from before we were signed..."

Does that mean lyrics to? But yea,,,,,as i said when it came out though i like it a lot i'm kind turned off that they had to dig up old stuff! No album in 13 years and?

I know the law, friend.
    Yeah, I don't find it funny. I enjoyed ADKOT and I was hoping it was the catalyst for a few more cds and tours out of this lineup.

You have to remember, I'm also a Springsteen fan. So I've seen a band come back together after a long breakup, (13 years) and now even as 60 year olds, pump out new music every couple of years and then tour the world behind said music, putting on 3+ hour shows night after night for 2+ years at a time each tour. So I was hoping that VH was a little older, a little wiser and would follow a similar path.

I don't know, maybe this is exactly what is needed to get things going again, but it doesn't feel good to me. Not at all.
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post

Yeah, that is pulling the curtain back, and saying "this reunion isn't what we were trying to make it seem". That goes against the grain of what Roth has always tried to create, so for him to say that is BIG.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallonmusic View Post
    Does that mean lyrics to? But yea,,,,,as i said when it came out though i like it a lot i'm kind turned off that they had to dig up old stuff! No album in 13 years and?
    NO! It's pretty obvious that the lyrics are more recent, but the riffs are probably all old.
    What were they doing all that time in the studio? I picture Roth and an engineer working with recordings the others made, and send them back and forth, with EVH nitpicking and rejecting for months on end. I could be wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    I think Mike is just a "bro", and really can't relate to Roth's rockstar bravado, and diva behavior. I think Mike doesn't like that, and never really seemed to understand what it was that people liked about Roth. That's why I don't think they would bother playing together outside of Van Halen.
    Yeah, when you were talking about "guys who stand around in the garage wearing Jamz shorts drinking beer and being buddies," I think that's what Mike and also ED wanted to be. By the time I saw Van Halen on the OU812 tour Eddie just wore a T-shirt and jeans, and I thought that was pretty lame. I think they don't get a guy like Dave who wants everything to be sparkly and larger than life, but that's what made it all interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboydan View Post
    Yeah, I don't find it funny. I enjoyed ADKOT and I was hoping it was the catalyst for a few more cds and tours out of this lineup.

You have to remember, I'm also a Springsteen fan. So I've seen a band come back together after a long breakup, (13 years) and now even as 60 year olds, pump out new music every couple of years and then tour the world behind said music, putting on 3+ hour shows night after night for 2+ years at a time each tour. So I was hoping that VH was a little older, a little wiser and would follow a similar path.

I don't know, maybe this is exactly what is needed to get things going again, but it doesn't feel good to me. Not at all.
    Hate to break it to you but i'm pretty sure it over.

Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    What were they doing all that time in the studio? I picture Roth and an engineer working with recordings the others made, and send them back and forth, with EVH nitpicking and rejecting for months on end. I could be wrong...
    If that was the case, I heard a few more nits in Roth's vocals that could've used picking...

I know the law, friend.
    Eddie was working on getting healthy again, and he did a great job. He was in shape, sober, and ready to go for the tour! Can't fault him or call him lazy there. He worked his ass off to get ready and played his ass off on the road.

I'm gonna focus on the positives in the article..................so...............let's see what we got..........

Al and Dave talk.............a lot!

And this is good: "I would certainly look forward to working with Ed on some new material......... I would certainly look forward to writing a whole list of songs with Ed....."

Ok.......that's all I got.
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-