Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Did Huge Asteroid Take Out the Dinosaurs?? - Page 2
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    They're not giant lizards. They're giant chickens.

Modern, updated renderings of Velociraptor, Brachiosaurus, and T-Rex.

800px-Deinonychus_im_NHM_Wien.JPG
    800px-Brachiosaurus_DB.jpg
    Attachment 42994

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    It seems so bizarre that the earth was once inhabited by these giant reptiles.
    I'm not sure how God even fits into the equation.

Why did they exist, in the first place?

After they were destroyed, why did other species develop, instead?

How come we never had another devestating Asteroid wipe us out?

In the early years of space travel, did scientists consider more dinosaurs might be dwelling
    on Venus or Mars?

Are there still dinosaurs roaming, somewhere, in another solar system?

Seems like it was just a perfect storm,so to speak.The atmospheric conditions back then allowed them,and their food sources to grow out of control.And were not just talking about dinosaurs,the plants,trees,insects...everything was gigundo.I can't imagine a giant bee landing on me.I think that would freak me out more than a T-Rex chasing me.

After they were wiped out the carbon dioxide levels were low,and the lush vegatation was gone,thus the new creatures could not get that big anymore.It's the theory that makes the most sense too me.

No worries about dinos on Mars/Venus,the conditions are too harsh and there's no food sources to support them.Ya have to have the greenery so the plant eaters can get huge,then the monsters have something to eat.

No doubt there are dinosaurs roaming the galaxy.Some crazy pissed off Kracken's out their.Animals,Dinosaurs...alot of interesting stuff to be discovered. I wish I would be around too see some of it.

Luckily,are position in the solar system helps protects us.The magnetic pull of Jupiter and Saturn absorb most of the asteroids that woulda wiped us out.And the moon has dun it's part as well.That said,one day we're gonna be on a collison course,no way around it.Hopefully by then we'll have the tech to do something about it.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    Sharks have been around for 400 million years. They've been around for longer than the Dinosaurs. Somehow, they have managed, with their general structure barely changing. It's just that perfect.
    Life expectancy and not being anyone's food source helped them a great deal.Same goes for the Crocs too.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Seems like it was just a perfect storm,so to speak.The atmospheric conditions back then allowed them,and their food sources to grow out of control.And were not just talking about dinosaurs,the plants,trees,insects...everything was gigundo.I can't imagine a giant bee landing on me.I think that would freak me out more than a T-Rex chasing me.

After they were wiped out the carbon dioxide levels were low,and the lush vegatation was gone,thus the new creatures could not get that big anymore.It's the theory that makes the most sense too me.

No worries about dinos on Mars/Venus,the conditions are too harsh and there's no food sources to support them.Ya have to have the greenery so the plant eaters can get huge,then the monsters have something to eat.

No doubt there are dinosaurs roaming the galaxy.Some crazy pissed off Kracken's out their.Animals,Dinosaurs...alot of interesting stuff to be discovered. I wish I would be around too see some of it.

Luckily,are position in the solar system helps protects us.The magnetic pull of Jupiter and Saturn absorb most of the asteroids that woulda wiped us out.And the moon has dun it's part as well.That said,one day we're gonna be on a collison course,no way around it.Hopefully by then we'll have the tech to do something about it.
    Yeah, one Science show said that Jupiter is like the Earth's protective big brother, taking all the blows.
    You've also got the big Asteroid belt between Jupiter and Mars.
    They said the Asteroid was only 6 miles wide (that hit Earth and killed the Dino's).
    Doesn't seem that large to cause such devestation.

Saturn is the most fascinating planet, though.
    It's very visible all this month, if you are awake late, like i am.

I just meant that, before we had reached Mars or Venus, before we knew Venus was 500 degrees & Mars was desolate
    and cold, did they think the atmosphere was similar to Earth?
    Just not knowing, i wondered if they expected to see Dinosaur like creatures, instead of a barren planet.
    Venus, afterall, was our sister planet.

The whole existence of dinosaurs has always been a fascination to me: that they were so huge and varied and then suddenly *POOF* they disappeared. If the huge asteroid theory is correct, and it seems so, then it doesn't seem such a stretch that cold blooded animals would have trouble living in what surely must have been a suddenly very different and much colder environment.

Here's something even stranger: you know all those legends about dragons? Everyone knows they're not real, right? Or are they......
    http://scienceblogs.com/sciencepunk/...on-discovered/

remember....after the fire, after all the rain
    i will be the flame.....

Like Mike
    The fact that they actually existed at some point is crazy when you think about it. A couple of hundred years ago, there were dinosaurs walking where we sit (maybe, depending on if where we're sitting was submerged underwater or not). The air we're breathing now was breathed by dinosaurs once...

I know the law, friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by ravennaloveseddie View Post
    The whole existence of dinosaurs has always been a fascination to me: that they were so huge and varied and then suddenly *POOF* they disappeared. If the huge asteroid theory is correct, and it seems so, then it doesn't seem such a stretch that cold blooded animals would have trouble living in what surely must have been a suddenly very different and much colder environment.

Here's something even stranger: you know all those legends about dragons? Everyone knows they're not real, right? Or are they......
    http://scienceblogs.com/sciencepunk/...on-discovered/

Wow, that's really cool!
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboydan View Post
    Wow, that's really cool!
    Her name is, "Cleo."

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I just meant that, before we had reached Mars or Venus, before we knew Venus was 500 degrees & Mars was desolate
    and cold, did they think the atmosphere was similar to Earth?
    Just not knowing, i wondered if they expected to see Dinosaur like creatures, instead of a barren planet.
    Venus, afterall, was our sister planet.
    Ah,I see what you're saying.Yeah,I imagine they probably did think dino's were a possibilty on those planets.Actually,it's not beyond the realm right now I suppose.They're saying there's oceans under the ice on some the planets and moons in our galaxy,could be some monsters under that ice.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    The fact that they actually existed at some point is crazy when you think about it.
    It is crazy.What's even crazier is how their remains fueled the world.