Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.

Eruption - Guitar Sound Setup?

Hey, wondering if there are any experts out there on Eruption...I'm a guitar teacher that specializes in VH songs and one of my next lessons will be for Eruption... I'm getting there with playing the piece fully, however, I'm having trouble nailing the right delay settings. Does anyone know the kind of delay/echo that was used? What the settings are (roughly)? I managed to get a decent VH 1 tone using my 5150 III 50W (you can hear that in the link below)... but can't seem to get my Eruption effects right! Thanks in advance for anyone who has some insight...

demo of VH 1 tone... cover of "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yH3niILHmw

Bill

Git some!
    Didn't he use one of those old tape Echoplexes? I'm not sure if they're easy to find, but I'm sure any sort of analog delay will do. I think it was a slight bump of echo, but I'm sure some of the other Ed-heads can help you out better than I. Hell, google it?
    Ready, Eddie!

Quote Originally Posted by EVH_Erupted View Post
    Didn't he use one of those old tape Echoplexes? I'm not sure if they're easy to find, but I'm sure any sort of analog delay will do. I think it was a slight bump of echo, but I'm sure some of the other Ed-heads can help you out better than I. Hell, google it?
    Thanks! yes will Google it as well... figured there'd be more 'experts' in this forum too...

Groupie
    This might help you as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eruption_(song)

Band Manager
    The only real "effects" on the recording are the vintage MXR Phase 90 and the modified Univox EC-80 A for the very last note (the dive at the end). IMO, everything else is studio time based effects, delay and reverb. He may have the Echoplex on for delay, or he may have the Echoplex in the chain, but with the echo disengaged for the EP-3 pre-amp compressor/signal boost built into the Echoplex 3.

And of course he used a standard vintage Fender tremolo, so depending on how how accurate you really want to be, you might consider learning it on a non-locking standard Fender tremolo equipped guitar.

https://www.facebook.com/briandether...type=2&theater

Here's a clip I did of it a few weeks ago.

EVH diehard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotis View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/briandether...type=2&theater

Here's a clip I did of it a few weeks ago.
    Welcome to the forum !!!
    Great job with the "Eruption" video btw . You've got some nice looking guitars too .

I checked out a few of your other clips as well . I liked the bluesy jam you had , playing a Les Paul and supporting that female singer .
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Thanks, man! Yeah... I've done a lot of sidework/roadwork as a blues player. Getting a new classic VH tribute band up and running in Nashville right now. Hope to make it a fulltime gig!