Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Where have you been? - Page 3
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    I always hear that term "Southern hospitality," but I really don't feel it here within the metro area. People here strike me as very aloof. It's like in my mid-20's I started going to music bars a lot, partly because I figured that was a place to expand my social circle. But the vibe I got was, if people don't already know you from school or work, they don't want to know you. Mingling does not exist. And count on any female having a cock-blocking, football-loving, frat boy buddy nearby. Friends have verified my perception.

But up in Tennessee, I recall going to an IHOP. The waitress says, "How are you?"

"I'll have a ham and cheese omelet and the pancake platter."

"How are YOU?," she says.

I thought, "Oh...was I being rude? We really need to assess my psychological state before I order? Um...I'm fine!" I thought, "Wow, that must be the real Southern hospitality I hear about."

What part of Atlanta do your cousins live in? Remembering what you said about their Iron Maiden comments I'm thinking they must be from a little ways out.

--------------------

And now over to Guitarfreak! So I guess Europe is substantially different than the U.S.? I used to work with a guy who would work six months, then go to Spain and live for six months, then come back and work six months, go back. I asked him what the big deal there was, and he said, "Over there they're focused on art and people, whereas here they're focused on fast food and cars." I guess you find that to be so, also?
    They are in Georgia (Alpha-something, they moved a few times).

I always loved visiting them, or them visiting us, but then i'd hear them talk shit about me, from other sources.
    They'd be sweet as pie, then trash me as some satanic drug addict, after they went back home.
    It always hurt my feelings, because i had thought we would be on good terms.

My uncle got his finger chopped off at a Home Depot out there, in store.
    I guess a board fell down, something he was reaching for.
    They ended up paying him a nice chunk of change, not to sue.
    They were rich anyway, due to my aunt's inheritance, after her folks passed.

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    They are in Georgia (Alpha-something, they moved a few times).
    Alpharetta! Yeah, that's one of the pricier areas. I went over there to my cousin's for Christmas dinner, and got to feel nice and self-conscious, because my cousins are all light years more successful than me. Fortunately they were pretty down to earth and easier to be around than I expected.

People in Alpharetta probably aren't into Iron Maiden. Dave Matthews, Jason Mraz, Hootie, some kind of white collar rock.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Alpharetta! Yeah, that's one of the pricier areas. I went over there to my cousin's for Christmas dinner, and got to feel nice and self-conscious, because my cousins are all light years more successful than me. Fortunately they were pretty down to earth and easier to be around than I expected.

People in Alpharetta probably aren't into Iron Maiden. Dave Matthews, Jason Mraz, Hootie, some kind of white collar rock.

Alpharetta, you got it!

I remember visiting, and having great times in Georgia.
    They were always great, fun hosts, but then they'd trash me, after i left.
    I never trusted southerners, after that! Haha.

They also got me hooked on Coke (not the drug, the beverage).
    I wasn't allowed much soda as a kid, but they had fridges stocked full of it.
    When we ran out, there were cases downstairs in the pantry.

As an adult, i've realized i can't quit Coke.
    I sometimes drink it at 7 am, before leaving for work.
    It's like a smoker that can't stop.
    I've tried, but i simply cannot.

It all started in Atlanta, when i was 7 or 8.

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    They also got me hooked on Coke (not the drug, the beverage).
    Coca-Cola is huge here. It was invented by a downtown pharmacist about 100 years ago, and then a guy named Woodruff bought the formula from him for $50, and promptly became a multimillionaire. Coke is one of the biggest employers, and the Woodruff Arts Foundation underwrites all sorts of things. Usually everything is called Coke here, even if you mean Pepsi. If you say "soda" or "pop," people instantly know you're not from around here, or must've just moved in. "Soda" would be like Arm & Hammer.

Even though I live alone, I keep a 24-can case on hand at all times! (Diet caffeine-free, though.)

No cheer******s allowed!
    Coca-Cola is huge here. It was invented by a downtown pharmacist about 100 years ago, and then a guy named Woodruff bought the formula from him for $50, and promptly became a multimillionaire. Coke is one of the biggest employers, and the Woodruff Arts Foundation underwrites all sorts of things. Usually everything is called Coke here, even if you mean Pepsi. If you say "soda" or "pop," people instantly know you're not from around here, or must've just moved in. "Soda" would be like Arm & Hammer.

Even though I live alone, I keep a 24-can case on hand at all times! (Diet caffeine-free, though.)
    I've never had teeth trouble, as an adult, but suddenly at 40, "i gots sum problems."
    Two issues flared up, one after the other...
    I blame the Coke, it's catching up with me, despite brushing & flossing.

I'm trying to limit my intake, though.
    I don't drink a 2 liter everyday, like some folks.
    But i do drink at least one, a day, maybe two on my days off.

Recently, they had the Coke in vintage glass bottles, on sale.
    I bought several for my 'fridge, and couldn't resist, so i tried one.
    My God, Coke in a glass bottle, original formula, was like an orgasm!
    I felt like a junkie scoring the "good shit."

"This is high quality..."

Only a little tardy
    ICM, we call it soda in NC. Well, a lot do and people know what you're talking about. Then they'll ask "which type?" Coke, pepsi, fanta, etc. Being a NC, I can't stand pepsi...Never liked the taste. Pop and even saying soda pop will get funny looks.

I used to drink coke a lot, now I've really cut down. Maybe one a day. It is addicting though, I love the taste.

In Chile I drank more of it since I couldn't drink the tap water there. Foreigners will get sick from drinking water...
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    ICM, we call it soda in NC. Well, a lot do and people know what you're talking about.
    Really? I've mainly been between Georgia and Tennessee, so maybe it's different there. I don't think I've ever heard anyone call it soda, even my friends from Chicago and New York's families. Lewis Grizzard, the once-famous newspaper columnist, said in Georgia "pop" meant, "I'll pop you up side the head with this Co-Cola bottle."

Only a little tardy
    Pop has the same meaning here. Up north, soda means...club soda water??
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

Yours truly, As Is
    Coke and Pepsi are both nasty. Not a big soda drinker, but when I do, give me root beer or sprite. Coffee over soda anytime, though, particularly a good Americano!

Oh...thread topic: Been to Southern California, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Colorado ho hum .

Lived in Washington my whole life, but never bothered to go up to Canada.

I'm Italian, so I do have hopes of someday going to Italy, particularly Sicily where are ancestry is from. My cousin got to go there on his honeymoon 11 years ago and loved it.
    Last edited by Jungle Drummer; January 7th, 2013 at 01:24 AM.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Permanent vacation
    And now over to Guitarfreak! So I guess Europe is substantially different than the U.S.? I used to work with a guy who would work six months, then go to Spain and live for six months, then come back and work six months, go back. I asked him what the big deal there was, and he said, "Over there they're focused on art and people, whereas here they're focused on fast food and cars." I guess you find that to be so, also?
    Well, I've only been to Florida and rural New York as far as the US goes. But that said, I did find Europe and Russia pretty different. IMO any greater focus on art, heritage, and peoples' welfare would come from having had so many goddamn wars on the continent in the past few centuries. I figure it gets you to value the small things in life as opposed to commercial ones...

I remember seeing a small plaque on a big apartment building in Moscow, and it had the dates 1941 - 1945 on it, reading "All who lived in this building left, and never returned." What with 26 million dead in WWII... Meanwhile, Austria's got a 90-feet-deep well, labeled in a heritage site. It was used for throwing Turks down, a few hundred years back! Which was hilarious.

As liberal as Europe often seems, it's striking how un-multicultural they are these days. It's like they carved up the map enough to stop people from bickering, and let them focus on their own history and values. Seems like a win-win plot to me: they get along politically despite differences, and they no longer kill each other over frivolous shit like whether or not to cross yourself with two fingers or three.

... Plus, we don't have to intervene in their wars anymore! I am kind of envious of their take on arts and people though.
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs