Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
New to the setlist for 2013 - Page 9
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Both Maiden and U2's first records came out in 1980.
    They are not older than Van Halen.
    Just had to clarify...

Hey, i saw VH in March, it was a good show.
    I liked the sleeker stage, the show felt more personal and intimate, in a way.
    The sound was pretty good, too.

They played with a lot of fire.
    It didn't feel like a cash-grab to me, it felt like they really got off on playing.
    I go for the music, for the musicians.
    I don't require 20 tons of lights, and a laser show to keep me satisfied.

If you love the band, the music should be all the entertainment you need.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Just had to clarify...

It didn't feel like a cash-grab to me, it felt like they really got off on playing.

Nice to have a purist's perspective. Maybe I don't love the band.

The ages of the bands isn't the point. They are all old. The Stones and Zep, and Pink Floyd (you left those bands out), and virtually ANY band that is popular enough to play arenas (and charge top dollar), put more into the staging than VH did.

Like I said, if it's "all about the music", then play places that offer nice acoustics, not hockey rinks.
    Last edited by 1234over; January 17th, 2013 at 07:00 PM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Whoops. 1978 is when U2 won a contest which led to the recording of their first demo, which was released as an EP called "Three" (but I had as a cassette called "Boy/Girl") in 1979.

Nicko McBrain is 60, Steve Harris and Dave Murray are 56. Alex is 59 and Eddie is 57, so they're right in the same ballpark.

Velvet Underground.

I'm sure the show is great, I like the stuff I've seen on YouTube, but the other factor is, a bare bones show for $120.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Just had to clarify...

DING! DING! We have a winner! As long as Alex brings out his "ridiculous" monster kits for the arenas, Ed is happy and healthy, Dave and Wolf are there with the brothers and they are "on", then it's going to be a damn good show.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    I'm sure the show is great, I like the stuff I've seen on YouTube, but the other factor is, a bare bones show for $120.
    I guess I just dont see calling it a "bare bones" show when you have two of the ALL TIME greats on their instruments up there playing music from their peak years. Dont get that at all...someday Van Halen really will be gone for good, and I'm gonna enjoy seeing them live for as long as it lasts.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Band Manager
    As I said, if they are playing in a place with good acoustics, that's great. But to act like you are enjoying the nuances of their playing in a hockey arena is fooling yourself. Sure, it's a position above reproach "I am there for the music, man", but I don't believe you. I have the records at home, and they sound great, I want a full on experience. They specialized in that in the past.

I would much prefer that they just played a few concerts, and instead concentrated on recording new records anyway.
    Last edited by 1234over; January 17th, 2013 at 11:22 PM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Hey, i loved both the '81 and '84 stages, they framed the band well.
    But in 2012, i just don't think it would work as well.
    It feels like the band made a conscious decision to, "Just focus on playing, just enjoy it."
    That was the vibe i got, and Eddie looked very happy.

ICM does make a valid point, regarding pricing, though.
    They are charging as much as the big U2 type bands, that haul around a massive show & stage.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    As I said, if they are playing in a place with good acoustics, that's great. But to act like you are enjoying the nuances of their playing in a hockey arena is fooling yourself. Sure, it's a position above reproach "I am there for the music, man", but I don't believe you. I have the records at home, and they sound great, I want a full on experience. They specialized in that in the past.

I would much prefer that they just played a few concerts, and instead concentrated on recording new records anyway.
    I can maybe see that point of view if somebody has nose bleed seats, but since there's no telling how many more times I will be able to see VH, I make it a point of getting seats on the floor or even off the floor but in the first sections right off to the side of the stage so I'm close enought to still see and hear what's going on.

In an age when people routinely buy $5 lattes or spend $10 plus another $10 on popcorn and pop to go see a movie that they could rent for a buck in 3 months, it is comical to see the complaining of $120 tickets to see a legendary band that we all love for what could at any moment be the last time. Give up the lattes for a month and there's your ticket to the Mighty Van Halen.

And, no, I'm not saying that anybody here is out spending that kind of scratch on coffee, but it is a pretty common thing in our society and I'm just using that as an illustration.

Band Manager
    I have to go back to what UG said,SOUND!.I didn't get a chance to see the last tour (which apparently sounded better) but the '07 tour had major sound issues.
    Being that they can't use the the stage like they used too when they were young,it's really a non-factor too me.Ya,it's cool to have a great stage but at this point 'sound' should be top priority.Doesn't matter how much is spent on a stage if the sound is awful.