Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
New to the setlist for 2013 - Page 8
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Attachment 42920

Alex with his compadres.
    Sadly at this photo session Alex and Ginger looked at each other and said, "Do you have any idea who this guy is next to us with the biker mustache?" "No, but he keeps telling me he swears he's a big deal."

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    Now THIS would actually be cool and something that would work well for them. But, in the end, I'm there to see the VHs blaze away and Dave to entertain me and make me laugh. They dont need to go overboard on a stage setup.
    Sure, they could come out with a few lights, Alex could play a 4-piece kit, EVH could just mike up a couple combo amps, and we're good to go. But of course Van Fucking Halen would never do that for an arena show. Instead AVH has been filling the stage with bass drums that are completely irrelevant, and their best tours were mammoth productions that they bragged about every chance they got.

I think they DO need to go overboard, now more than ever,because they are old fucks that can't physically/visually match the music. Remember Roth's maxim "The band should look like the music sounds"?

What ICM said is right on, it's the "economy package" stage. I don't think it would take that much more money to do something a bit more interesting though. They have the screen, just use it better. In the video I posted, the stage looks like a fucking spaceship flying through space. Some might not be able to get beyond the color scheme, but with a little imagination (and a less antagonistic attitude), one can see that whoever designed that stage/light show was using some sophisticated techniques.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Band Manager

Cool

Yeah, I agree 100%. The 2012 stage looks unimaginative and boring, downright cheap. At least in 2007 they had green lasers during " Romeo Delight ", and Roth had the upper deck and audience catwalk. But this past tour, a big screen and confetti, big whoop.

But if you watch the 1981 Memphis bootleg, which is filmed from quite a distance, you'll realise that even those old stages, as cool as they are, were also not really as big or elaborate as they seem from looking at the pictures.

There simply is no need for a huge wall of amps anymore. But they could certainly do more with the visuals on the big screen and spice things up with some gimmicks. Even Daves old boxing ring would be an improvement.

But please, no fuckin' train bullshit. AC/DC already did that and I dont need to see Dave dressing up like a conducter getting romantic on a subway line.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yeah, I agree 100%. The 2012 stage looks unimaginative and boring, downright cheap. At least in 2007 they had green lasers during " Romeo Delight ", and Roth had the upper deck and audience catwalk. But this past tour, a big screen and confetti, big whoop.

But if you watch the 1981 Memphis bootleg, which is filmed from quite a distance, you'll realise that even those old stages, as cool as they are, were also not really as big or elaborate as they seem from looking at the pictures.

There simply is no need for a huge wall of amps anymore. But they could certainly do more with the visuals on the big screen and spice things up with some gimmicks. Even Daves old boxing ring would be an improvement.

But please, no fuckin' train bullshit. AC/DC already did that and I dont need to see Dave dressing up like a conducter getting romantic on a subway line.
    Hahaha

The 2004 stage was kinda cool, much as I hate hags.
    I'm not really looking for a spectacle, but it really seems odd that they used to put so much into their presentation, and now, when they could really use some help visually, they neglect it. Obviously the financial aspect is playing a huge role, but it wouldn't take much more dough to get more creative with the screen.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

No cheer******s allowed!
    I think VH, at age 60, presenting the big Funkadelic/Earth, wind & Fire, neon outerspace stage show, would look atrocious.
    VH is essentially a hard rock band, not a Disco act (no offense to Funkadelic & EWF, i do love both those bands).

In a way, the bare bones stage fits where they are in 2012:
    A veteran band, hitting the twilight of their career, just playing the music.

There's no need for them to compete with their 24 year old selves, and haul out the Iron Maiden lighting rig.
    I think they want the focus to be on the material, the music.

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    That would be okay if it wasn't $120 to get a decent seat. Charging $120 and giving a $35 show doesn't cut it.

I had been trying to find a decent seat for $85 for Van Halen when I saw that Jane's Addiction was coming. $50 and their show had the kitchen sink for production.

Iron Maiden is the same age, if not older, than Van Halen, and they're still going all out. Rush having a line of driers tumbling T-shirts for the fans was hysterical! Even The Who does elaborate things with the lights and projection, and I think what they do is probably what 1234 is picturing.

Band Manager

Cool

NOPE. What their stage is focused on, is saving every penny and earning the highest possible profit during their latter years.

I recall interviews after Roth quit, where Alex and Eddie spoke about how little money they actually got from the tours, as the production costs were so high.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I think VH, at age 60, presenting the big Funkadelic/Earth, wind & Fire, neon outerspace stage show, would look atrocious.
    VH is essentially a hard rock band, not a Disco act (no offense to Funkadelic & EWF, i do love both those bands).

In a way, the bare bones stage fits where they are in 2012:

There's no need for them to compete with their 24 year old selves, and haul out the Iron Maiden lighting rig.
    I think they want the focus to be on the material, the music.
    The Stones aren't above it (though they have gone too far). Led Zeppelin used the big screen more imaginatively than VH. Pink Floyd? Alex is still bringing out a ridiculous drum kit.

It doesn't have to be gaudy, or goofy, just well designed, and versatile enough to change the setting.

They are being cheap.

I just thought of another example (that nobody here likes): U2. Their first album came out in 1978, also, so they must be around Van Halen's age, and nobody's saying, "Time for them to settle down, give us one last dry reading of the hits, and fade into memory..." They're still the biggest band in the world (even if they should've quit in 1986), every release is big news and gets full promotion, and they haul out elaborate stage sets every time.

The Anthrax/Megadeth/Slayer tour had the same bare bones setup Van Halen has, but their ticket was only about $45.

Truth is, I think Eddie and Alex were tired of being rock stars after about 1997, so they're just preparing for the retirement years with these tours.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    I

Truth is, I think Eddie and Alex were tired of being rock stars after about 1997, so they're just preparing for the retirement years with these tours.
    Sounds about right. I think they are doing it for the money mostly, and Roth is doing for the glory (and the money). To suddenly be "all about the music" seems a bit disingenuous. The Brothers have always placed importance on presentation. Al's kits, Ed's painted guitars. They know full well that a show is expected. If it's all about the music, why not do shows in nice acoustical settings? 3000 seat theaters! I would be all in on something like that. I thought the best show was the Cafe Wha? In that setting, a barebones approach is totally cool. In hockey arenas, no way.