Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Wimpy's Ghost Encounter
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wimpy's Ghost Encounter

Summer, 2012.

I work in the IT department at my college as a student worker. This past summer, I was given the job of replacing and re-positioning some of the wireless access points in the freshman dorms.
    The access points look like this:

There is a small LED light on top of them, that can be lit up one of three colors. Green means the device is powered on and idle, red means it is malfunctioning, and blue means it is powered on and someone nearby is connected to it and using it to access the network.

The access points are located in drop-ceiling hatches, and require a step-ladder to reach. The dorm I was working in did not have an elevator, and I was pissed because I had to carry the cart with the new access points as well as my step ladder up the stairs to reach each floor.

It is a three story building, and it is completely surrounded by trees and is the furthest away from the student center and academic buildings out of all the freshman dorms. Being summer, the building was completely empty; by empty I mean no students, no janitors, and to my surprise, no security guard at the front desk. Completely empty. Except for me.

Naturally, being in an empty building of this size can be slightly creepy. This particular building is three stories tall. I had done work in another building the day before that was 9 stories tall, and was OK. But for whatever reason, when I went in to this building, it felt creepier than usual. I replaced the access points on the first and second floors, and lugged my equipment up to the third.

When I entered the third floor hallway, I remember thinking to myself, "Wow, this looks like the hallway from 'The Shining!" to my surprise, the third dorm room down the hallway had it's door wide open. All of the other ones were closed, but this one was wide open. I distinctly remember taking a picture of it, because it was so weird, and it really was reminding me of The Shining.

P07-25-12_10.21.jpg

You can see the open door on the right, as well as my cart with the equipment in the foreground.

Anyway, the door being open made me feel a little uneasy, because I'm thinking there is some sort of maintenance worker doing work in the building, but I haven't seen him yet.

I start making my way down the hall, checking and swapping out the access points that need to be replaced. I get to the last hatch and remove the last access point, and to my surprise, it is lit up blue, meaning someone nearby was connected to it! Now I'm really feeling creeped out. As an IT worker, I am not allowed to do anything that will kick someone off the network. So, before unplugging the access point, I decided to knock on the nearby dorm rooms and make sure no one was inside. No one answered any of the doors, so I decided to take down the access point. As I was on the ladder fiddling around with the ceiling hatch, I remember feeling like I was being watched. I chalked it up to be just being paranoid, finished what I had to do, and left the building, not seeing or hearing anyone else in the building.

I had forgotten about this incident until this past week, when I read online that the dorm building I was working in, specifically the third floor, is supposed to be haunted by the ghost of a girl who was shot and killed in 1975, and now haunts the dorm where she used to live, which is coincidentally the building I was working in.

On February 18, 1975, quiet Marist College became a chaotic crime scene when student Louis Acevedo shot and killed ex-girlfriend Shelley Sperling in the cafeteria (now the Presidential Dining room). Angered by her new collegiate lifestyle, Acevedo was taken into police custody after he was found in

a rocking chair looking at pictures of the couple. Sperling was lying just feet away. Her spirit is said to roam the halls of Sheahan and the wooded Grotto memorial, dedicated to students who have died while attending the college.
    Unexplained happenings in the dorm are attributed to the ghost of Shelley Sperling, who roams the campus and visits her former dorm at Sheahan Hall. Students who live in her former dorm have had various unbelievable experiences. One student was disturbed by the slamming of doors in the empty Hall during break
    I had no idea this building was supposed to be haunted when I was working in it, and had never heard about this girl getting shot before. All I know is, I felt like someone was watching me while I was in there, and now I read this online!! Needless to say, I hope the next time I have to go in this building is during the semester, when the kids are still there.

No cheer******s allowed!
    That's a really cool story, wimpy (the pictures were an added bonus).
    For some reason, the open door is what freaked me out the most, because that is usually a sign
    the spirit is beckoning you or inviting you in.
    I wonder if that was her dorm room?

Also, spirits are known to manipulate electronic devices, so the "blue" was probably her.

I also had an experience in an old third floor apartment, back around 2000.
    It was the third floor of a victorian home, owned by an elderly couple (two, mean lesbians occupied
    the second floor).

It was a woman, and i actually saw her (torso, legs, arms, but the feet & head were faded).
    She drifted past my bedroom, through the hall, and into the adjacent room.
    I laid there, frozen, for about two hours, attempting to digest what i knew i saw.

Whenever i was in the living room, watching TV, i felt her watching me from the big Kitchen area.
    I always felt her there, in that kitchen.

I lived there one year, then both of the elderly couple died, one after the other.
    No ghost sightings since then.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Wow, lots of related stories online, when i googled it.

It would make sense, seeing as her life was ended so abruptly.
    A lot of spirits linger in situations like that, they are left with a sense of "unfinished business."
    It's too bad you didn't have a recorder on you, you could have asked questions & done some
    EVP sessions.

http://www.hudsonvalleyhalloweenmaga...lege-haunting/

Only a little tardy
    Hmm, I've heard many stories similar to this.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

Dance Baby!
    Great story Wimpy.

That would trip me out.
    Daniel (1994-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Wow, lots of related stories online, when i googled it.

It would make sense, seeing as her life was ended so abruptly.
    A lot of spirits linger in situations like that, they are left with a sense of "unfinished business."
    It's too bad you didn't have a recorder on you, you could have asked questions & done some
    EVP sessions.

http://www.hudsonvalleyhalloweenmaga...lege-haunting/
    That's a good idea.
    I'll be working over winter break in January, and the campus will be empty again.
    During a lunch break I may go over there and mess around and see if I can capture anything.

We have this laptop with a big antenna on top that analyzes the wireless spectrum with a heat graph, it will show if there is any interference or white noise. I wonder if I can get that to pick up any sign of "Shelley..."

If she looked like Belinda Carlisle I'd have hot-footed it into that dorm room!

No cheer******s allowed!
    I'm obsessed with that show, Ghost Adventures.

On a recent episode, Zack, Nick & Aaron, sort of attempt to revisit, Bobby Mackey's Music World, but
    then refuse to go in.
    These are big, tough guys, yet you can see the fear in their eyes.

There was an older episode where they did a lockdown in there, and the spirits were demonic.
    They were extremely evil, and you could see it kind of scarred them, emotionally.

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I'm obsessed with that show, Ghost Adventures.

On a recent episode, Zack, Nick & Aaron, sort of attempt to revisit, Bobby Mackey's Music World, but
    then refuse to go in.
    These are big, tough guys, yet you can see the fear in their eyes.

There was an older episode where they did a lockdown in there, and the spirits were demonic.
    They were extremely evil, and you could see it kind of scarred them, emotionally.
    That's something you have to watch out for, if you fool around with the alleged "supernatural."

Sometimes, the spirit you think you are encountering is not what you think, it could be a demon impersonating a human spirit to try and trick you.
    I don't think that's the case at my school though. I'm not really sure what I think.

All I know is I felt something weird in the building before I had heard anything about it being haunted.

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpyliberalbuster32 View Post
    That's a good idea.
    I'll be working over winter break in January, and the campus will be empty again.
    During a lunch break I may go over there and mess around and see if I can capture anything.

We have this laptop with a big antenna on top that analyzes the wireless spectrum with a heat graph, it will show if there is any interference or white noise. I wonder if I can get that to pick up any sign of "Shelley..."

If she looked like Belinda Carlisle I'd have hot-footed it into that dorm room!
    I just watched two episodes of them going in there.

While some of the audio recordings don't match the subtitles at all, the second episode really creeped me out.

That's a cool story. But I have to wonder, what about hospitals? People are dying unexpected deaths in hospitals all day every day. Shouldn't hospitals be full of flickering lights and slamming doors? How about abortion clinics? Wouldn't there be little spirit children running around everywhere? This Sperling story makes me think of Columbine High School. Could there be ghosts all over the hallways in that high school?

I'm wondering if that's the ghost hunter show I watched. I saw one where they went to an old metal furnace in Birmingham, Alabama, and there had been supposedly been a foreman called Slag who would work his men literally to death. Supposedly someone pushed him into the furnace as revenge and he still haunts it. They were sitting there calling out, "Slag! Slag! I'm not afraid of you, Slag!" Then I looked it up online, and that furnace was turned into a concert venue years ago and the Slag story was some made up marketing bullshit. So they just made a movie with an infra red camera and ran around yelling, "Slag!" for half an hour as a commercial for the concert venue, I guess.