Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Will Science Someday Rule Out the Possibility of God? - Page 4
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    In a way, science verified the Alien life. Science isn't just chemistry and test labs, the root word of "science" is sciencia from Latin meaning "knowledge" which is exactly the point of science. It's testable, provable facts that do not always makes sense until more knowledge is found.

In the future, I can only say their might be two outcomes: either a decline in theocracy or a rise. No one can know the future though.
    Humans tend to worship something...if it isn't the supernatural then it's the worship of the self...even in commie nations they have the cult of personality.

Most people that are atheists place some leader on a pedestal...or turn some "cause" into a religion.

Not sure how anyone "disproved" Zues but it was a lot cooler than L Ron Hubbard.

The most sacred text in history is the US constitution.

Only a little tardy
    Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    Humans tend to worship something...if it isn't the supernatural then it's the worship of the self...even in commie nations they have the cult of personality.

Most people that are atheists place some leader on a pedestal...or turn some "cause" into a religion.

Not sure how anyone "disproved" Zues but it was a lot cooler than L Ron Hubbard.

The most sacred text in history is the US constitution.
    That's very true, it's in human nature to look up to something, someone for inspiration. But a religion is different than a cult of personality, even those it has similar attributes.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

No cheer******s allowed!
    I've always said: Satan is in the details.

Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    That's very true, it's in human nature to look up to something, someone for inspiration. But a religion is different than a cult of personality, even those it has similar attributes.

True...religion is understandable to me because I think most of us would love to see our loved ones again...and quite frankly I do want immortality.

The idea that there is some final justice is appealing too.

I think if you strip that away there is still this almost innate need for people to worship something...to indoctrinate the kids into some "superior" dogma.

The notion of "god" or some supreme being is safe from science....I can easily use physics to argue in favor of one but not a specific religious idea of one.

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I've always said: Satan is in the details.
    Today I was going back home with a couple of teammates, when the car broke down. We were stranded on the free way and waiting for help when the topic of religion came up.
    I told them that I was an obnoxious atheist, and still tend to side with them in arguments. My Canadian roommate, bless him, said "don't they worship the devil?". Haha hell no...

Git some!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    True...religion is understandable to me because I think most of us would love to see our loved ones again...and quite frankly I do want immortality.

The idea that there is some final justice is appealing too.

I think if you strip that away there is still this almost innate need for people to worship something...to indoctrinate the kids into some "superior" dogma.

The notion of "god" or some supreme being is safe from science....I can easily use physics to argue in favor of one but not a specific religious idea of one.
    Who doesn't? That doesn't give much reasoning other than an escape from reality.

Maybe there's an innate need to worship. Or perhaps it's from a limited understanding. It's also probably just based on geology. You're going to pick up stuff from the region you live in. If you live in Saudi Arabia, you're most likely gonna grow up as a muslim; if you grow up in the Bible Belt of the US, you're likely to grow up as a christian. I'm not going to try to talk about the psychological mumbo jumbo, because I don't know much of it, but if you're environment doesn't involve the worship of a higher being, then there's little chance of having an "innate need to worship" something, it seems it's a development from the environment.

I'm sure there's evidence to prove both sides, but neither are definitive. It's like Russell's Teapot.
    Ready, Eddie!

Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by EVH_Erupted View Post
    Who doesn't? That doesn't give much reasoning other than an escape from reality.

Maybe there's an innate need to worship. Or perhaps it's from a limited understanding. It's also probably just based on geology. You're going to pick up stuff from the region you live in. If you live in Saudi Arabia, you're most likely gonna grow up as a muslim; if you grow up in the Bible Belt of the US, you're likely to grow up as a christian. I'm not going to try to talk about the psychological mumbo jumbo, because I don't know much of it, but if you're environment doesn't involve the worship of a higher being, then there's little chance of having an "innate need to worship" something, it seems it's a development from the environment.

I'm sure there's evidence to prove both sides, but neither are definitive. It's like Russell's Teapot.
    Yeah, where you live will have an impact on how you worship in the same way it will have an impact on what language you speak..but that is innate too. In the absence of any formal language people will invent their own.

Cavemen were worshiping the supernatural...all cultures have done this.

People here have said Eddie is god (he isn't...Ace Frehley is)...even in jest people will go there.

There are those that don't worship anything external...they worship themselves....those that wish to become living gods like Stalin naturally hate when people do this.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by EVH_Erupted View Post

Yes, people don't switch faiths based on evidence - that's for sure.
    It would be amuzing to see people migrate to other faiths because that other faith proves more valid.
    Gets better proven results such as increased longevity, healing powers etc.
    Something that could be directly tested and compared to other faiths.

People simply beleive what they are raised with.
    with a couple of exceptions for Richard Geere etc...

An Eleven Warrior
    I'm going to start out by saying I'm not going to get into an argument over this. I've made many posts on this subject. I also have a bachelors of arts degree with a biology major and chemistry minor to go along with my DDS. I've sat threw more science classes than most of you combined. With that out of the way let me try to answer some questions from my view point.

First and for most. God does exist, He created the universe and everything in it. Jesus is His Son and He came to Earth to die for our sins. He gave us the perfect gift and all you have to do is accept it, or not. Science will never disprove His existance. Yes, we are getting smarter and learning more and more about ourselves and the universe in general. That doesn't mean we know it all. You can't create something out of nothing, it is impossible and the laws of physics prove it.

I understand evolution, it makes perfect sense. It also doesn't disprove the creation story in the Bible. The word for created in Greek can be translated either as created OR recreated. It is very possible that the earth is as old as scientist say. Plants and animals could have evolved from the primordial ooze billions of years ago. Humans could have evolved from monkeys, though I doubt it. We share close to 99% of the same DNA, but that last 1% must be a dandy. I see the evolution from cromagnon threw neanderthal to homo habilus, but where is the jump from them to us? There isn't any. For a minute let's believe the Bible story. If we translate the ancient Greek as re-created it makes more sense. God could have made the earth originally billions of years ago(He exists outside of time). He created the universe and everything else and set it in motion. Who says he didn't create cromagnon, or the other prehistoric "people". I think He did, I think about 6,000 years ago he recreated the world and put us here by creating Adam and Eve. The Bible story would date us back about then, the ancient civilizations are all younger than that. Historians can prove Moses was real, as was Jesus. Scientists have not found the missing link between homo sapiens and whatever came before us. The reason is there isn't a link, don't you think if there was one some paleantologist somewhere would have found it by now?

Like AJ, I believe God exists. I believe He sent His only Son down to us to die for our sins. I believe Jesus rose from the dead and accended into Heaven. I also believe Jesus will come again to judge the living and the dead. God gave us free will to decide on our own to love Him or not. He could of made us little drones that loved him unconditionally no matter what. I think He didn't because He knew that would be a false love, and where is the fun in that. We all have the ability to go to Heaven, but all of us won't go. God wants us to believe in Him with no "concrete proof". In the Old Testament He revealed Himself to the Isrealites often, this was during the Age of Law, getting to Heaven then was a lot more difficult. After Jesus came and died it has become a whole lote easier. Jesus said, "Blessed are the ones that beleive, but haven't seen." He made this response to Thomas, the disciple that wouldn't believe He had risen from the dead until he could put his fingers into the nail holes. This is where the term "Doubting Thomas" came from.

I think it is easier to not believe. It is easier to live your life by being a "good person" without the weight of God on your shoulders. It is easier to not go to church every week. To me faith is hard. Faith in God takes work. There are times when my faith is questioned, but to me that is the Devil trying to worm his way into my life. I'm not perfect, far from it. I try to live my life the best way I know how. I stumble every day, but I get back up and move forward.

If you don't believe in God, do you guys believe the Devil exists? Because with out God there would be no Devil.

My last point in this rambling post is this. The Devil wants you to think that God doesn't exist. Satan wants you to think the way you are, because when you die that is that much more company he will have. You all know the saying about misery liking company. The Devil is the King of this world. This is his domain. Don't you think he would make it as easy as possible for you to not believe in God? It is to late after you die. God won't let you in for being a good person, but not believing in Him. He wants people in Heaven that want to be there. He wants people in Heaven that love Him and listened to His teachings. God wants everyone ever created to be with him in Heaven, just like parents want the best for their children. But just like children, we have the ability to make up our own minds. I've said this before, but it begs repeating. I can be wrong about this. I can go my entire life believing and when I die there is nothing. My only loss is "wasting time" in that beleif. If I'm right I hopefully go to be with Him in Paradise. If you don't believe and there is nothing at the end so what, but if there is? Well, I hope you take your sun block. Just like tattoos, Hell is forever.

Doc
    Last edited by Dr. Roth; September 27th, 2012 at 01:38 PM.

Band Manager
    Pascals' Wager.

To spend one's life believing in something, or convincing oneself to believe in something just in case it really exists.

When I saw the light in Catholic grammer school that my religion was a square peg in the round hole of logical and critical thinking - I was a bit reluctant to say; "I don't believe." or "I'm an atheist."
    I held that "I'm not sure but..." or "I'm not convinced" thought just in case.
    "Hey, no hard feelings there God - you know, I had my feeelings of doubt but er... I always still believed you probably existed, and well - here you are!"No hard feelings, right?"
    "I mean, you're not going to turn me over to Satan for that eternal damnation stuff, are you?"

I'm 100% comfortable with saying "I don't believe." or "God doesn't exist." now.
    I have been for decades.