Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
US Festival! - Page 2
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: US Festival!

Quote Originally Posted by Incomudro View Post
    When I look at many of todays bands, and I just don't think that they are very good at all - sometimes I wonder if maybe I view some of my old bands through the rose colored glasses of time.
    I wondered that when I was picking up the Willie Nelson and Charlie Daniels albums on CD that I used to love in 5th grade. Were they really that good, or was I just an impressionable little kid overinfluenced by what my Dad and uncle were listening to?

Nope, it turns out I just had astonishingly good taste for a 10 year old.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    I wondered that when I was picking up the Willie Nelson and Charlie Daniels albums on CD that I used to love in 5th grade. Were they really that good, or was I just an impressionable little kid overinfluenced by what my Dad and uncle were listening to?

Nope, it turns out I just had astonishingly good taste for a 10 year old.
    Charlie Daniels and the Charlie Daniels band kicked ass!
    Not my type of music per say - but I was checking them out on youtube recently - wow!

I know I'm getting older and grouchier - but I think I'd still recognize good.

THEE bassist for VH
    Sadly though, Rick Emmetts' voice is shot for the high notes.
    He's a good singer for his solo acoustic stuff, but it's rough to see that he just doesn't have it for the Triumph material anymore.
    I wish it wasn't so.
    No? Shoot, he doesn't sound that far off the mark from when he was a young guy. Perhaps you have a more discerning ear though. Seems to be hanging in here imo.

I saw Triumph about 1980 or 1981 and it was a fantastic show.

Charlie Daniels and the Charlie Daniels band kicked ass!
    Not my type of music per say - but I was checking them out on youtube recently - wow!

I know I'm getting older and grouchier - but I think I'd still recognize good.
    Definitely look into the earlier stuff like Saddle Tramp and Nightrider, where they did more Allman Brothers-like guitar jams and epic-length psychedelic songs. Not the typical country stuff at all, more jazzy chords and swing/Latin/fusiony rythms. The later stuff after "Devil Went Down to Georgia" was more typical radio country. ("In America" is another epic, all-time classic of course. What a kick ass riff under the chorus!)

I don't remember how long Triumphs' set is on the copy that I have, but it's short - maybe three songs or so.
    You'll find them if you do a youtube search.

When I look at many of todays bands, and I just don't think that they are very good at all - sometimes I wonder if maybe I view some of my old bands through the rose colored glasses of time.
    Then - I see Rick Emmett singing Fight the Good Fight, or Magic Power - and I see that they (& he) really were that good.
    The copy you have sounds like the Showtime Network abridged copy. They edited out huge chunks of every band's setlist, cut out Motley Crue completely, and overdubbed David Lee Roth's vocals. (Yes, he actually sounded worse in real life)>

The abridged version with edited vocals:

The real version w/ drunk Dave.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by i1sum2! View Post
    No? Shoot, he doesn't sound that far off the mark from when he was a young guy. Perhaps you have a more discerning ear though. Seems to be hanging in here imo.

I saw Triumph about 1980 or 1981 and it was a fantastic show.
    That performance was better than the few I was looking at some time ago.
    He's not hitting the high notes like I wish he could - but he sounds great!

This man has more talent single handedly - than entire bands do.

Thanks Sum!

Git some!
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpyliberalbuster32 View Post
    The copy you have sounds like the Showtime Network abridged copy. They edited out huge chunks of every band's setlist, cut out Motley Crue completely, and overdubbed David Lee Roth's vocals. (Yes, he actually sounded worse in real life)>

The abridged version with edited vocals:

The real version w/ drunk Dave.

Yeesh, both sound terrible, IMO. This is why I've never been excited about the Us Fest vids. Eddie's tone sounds like crap (though it sounds better than Largo somewhat) and Dave is as drunk as the unpopular girl at a frat party. The overrdub sounds so out of place.
    Ready, Eddie!

No cheer******s allowed!
    VH sounded like shit on the US Festival, especially for the money they were being paid.
    Eddie's tone is all buzzy & single-coily sounding, Dave is completely unprofessional.
    Compare that performance to the '81 Oakland clips...

Cannot wait to pick up the new Judas Priest anniversary edition.
    I'm dying to see the full US Festival show, plus it has a bonus CD of the live Texas show, from the
    Vengeance tour.

When I watch the Us Fest, I always wonder if Dave ever got the message that they could, in fact, hear him out there.

Band Manager
    Not Halen's best moment but the new stuff from DD sounds good,and a few old ones that weren't that bad.Compared to what Halen has on DVD now the US festival would be like the greatest show ever!