Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Yngwie Malmsteen at 15........
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Love ya moms......

Yngwie Malmsteen at 15........

This was released circa 1978 but this is the first ive ever heard them.

Say what you will about the man being a dbag or unable to write a memorable riff or wanking the same lines over and over but this just just fucking amazing brilliant for 78. You can also hear the blackmore and UJ Roth influences on these demos.

No cheer******s allowed!
    He's pretty much just wanking away here, with the same scale.

The clean part (though the strat put him out of tune, sadly), was promising, but then he
    flailed away over that, too.

What i found interesting, was how much BETTER he got, by the time of '83 (or whenever the
    first Alcatrazz album came out).
    At fifteen, he didn't have the jaw-dropping alternate picking skills, nor the sweep arpeggio's.
    He did have that distinctive vibrato, though.

Band Manager

Cool

I never understood why Yngwie never really benefitted from the help of a big time manager or producer. It seems to me, if someone were to assist him in his carreer, he could of developed his tecnique by focusing on creating stronger material in a band enviornment, and possibly hooking up with a big well known star like Dio or someone else, instead of doing his own thing, which leaves him with a limited audience.

I like him but in small doses. Saw him live in 85 opening up for Dio on the Sacred Heart tour, and he was very impressive. At the time of his Rising Force album.

I could tell it was Yngwie because I was spacing out by the 2 minute mark.

He definitely got better. This sounds like a 15 year old with some ability who wants to impress by playing fast, but just trilling on the same few notes over and over. If I compare a 15 year old Yngwie with a 19 year old Eddie, Eddie was much more melodic and musical (but of course four years is a huge difference at that age).

Yngwie would be a good example of where ego can blind you. An astute manager might have told him he needed to collaborate with a memorable band and write some real songs, but Yngwie's ego wouldn't allow it, it had to be all about him, and so he's left to appeal to guys who read guitar magazines in 1987.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I never understood why Yngwie never really benefitted from the help of a big time manager or producer. It seems to me, if someone were to assist him in his carreer, he could of developed his tecnique by focusing on creating stronger material in a band enviornment, and possibly hooking up with a big well known star like Dio or someone else, instead of doing his own thing, which leaves him with a limited audience.

I like him but in small doses. Saw him live in 85 opening up for Dio on the Sacred Heart tour, and he was very impressive. At the time of his Rising Force album.
    As ICM said, Yngrid was his own worst enemy. He is a talented guy, with a distinctive style, but apparently very had to work with, and not interested in sharing the spotlight with anyone else.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Band Manager
    To add to what everyone said, Ynwies best work was when he worked with Joe Lynn Turner.
    Turner showed Yngwie how to make a song out of all that playing.
    JLT was also a big enough presence in vocals and on stage that it took some focus away from Yngwie.

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Incomudro View Post
    To add to what everyone said, Ynwies best work was when he worked with Joe Lynn Turner.
    Turner showed Yngwie how to make a song out of all that playing.
    JLT was also a big enough presence in vocals and on stage that it took some focus away from Yngwie.
    That's true - Odissey is a nice and pop record. I own it and once in a while I like listening to.
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Ribeiro View Post
    That's true - Odissey is a nice and pop record. I own it and once in a while I like listening to.
    Rising Force is his best for me.

The title song, Crystal Ball, De ja' Vu, Riot in the Dungeon...
    Turner was Yngwies best foil, focused on the songs - reigned Yngwie in.

No cheer******s allowed!
    His best playing was on the Alcatrazz record.
    Graham Bonnet brought out the best in him (and also Vai, later on), with that band.
    The songs were all great (except 'Island in the sun').

I really love Joe Lynn Turner, as well, and rank 'Odyssey' much higher than the other solo
    Malmsteen records.
    "Crystal ball' has such a cool intro, with some tasteful playing by Yngwie.
    The song "Marching out" (from his second album), also contains some gorgeous soloing.
    On that one, he sounds more Van Halen/Holdsworth, just a different style of play.

Like Mike
    I think that his debut is amazing.
    The rest... eh, not so much.
    He's now just a parody of what a European rock star is like.