Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
1981 Vs 2012, what are your thoughts?
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

1981 Vs 2012, what are your thoughts?

Here are 2 versions of Romeo Delight. Before this last tour when this 1981 version was posted it was one of my favorite boots that had been discovered. Once the Pittsburgh show was posted to You Tube in it's entirety it has become my top boot. In my opinion these 2 versions back to back shows that the Mighty Van Halen has not lost any of its former glory, what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E9k7nCWFc0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGBgzBCgoc0

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by rvp4806 View Post
    Here are 2 versions of Romeo Delight. Before this last tour when this 1981 version was posted it was one of my favorite boots that had been discovered. Once the Pittsburgh show was posted to You Tube in it's entirety it has become my top boot. In my opinion these 2 versions back to back shows that the Mighty Van Halen has not lost any of its former glory, what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E9k7nCWFc0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGBgzBCgoc0
    They are STILL a finely tuned engine. The one thing really missing is those rabid screams Dave could do. But, the chemistry and power is all there, even today, and should be marveled at with their ages. I am grateful and ecstatic to even still have Van Halen around. They may be old and less mobile, but they dont play like dinosaurs.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

No cheer******s allowed!
    I don't think anything can touch 1981, personally.
    You can't recapture that elusive hunger & youthfulness.

Today, VH has been there/done that, so many times.
    They are professionals in 2012, but in 1981, they were still atomic punks.

Band Manager

Cool

Yup, 1981 VH was absolutley phenomenal, untouchable even by themselves nowdays. But it was just such a different time back then at rock shows, the audiences were younger and full of piss and vinegear which created an ambiance of sheer cataclysmic raucous abandon and the sex, drugs, and rock and roll motto was alive in full force.

When VH hit the stage back then with ON FIRE, they really were actually on fire. Nowdays, I still get that same feeling when they start out with UNCHAINED, but miss the craziness of the audience going nuts, and the volume was so much louder back then, it was just perfect.

This Pittsburgh video is absolutley awesome, I just love it, they are great now too, but somehow not quite as electricifying as in their younger days, which is too be expected. They just had so much fire and fury in 81, they were hungry and I don't think any rock performer really can duplicate that type of exuberance after they've already made it.

I agree, and am also ecstatic to have VH back this year, and hope all goes well to get more soon.

1980-1981 Van Halen were a force of nature. They were more powerful than an F5 tornado. It's wonderful they they are still able to go out and kick ass, but nowadays they are more like a big thunderstorm. Still awesome, but you just can't replicate the type of stage presence they had in their prime.

Like Mike
    Sorry, not even close.

No cheer******s allowed!
    We still love & appreciate them in 2012, though!

"Blood & Fire" and "Stay Frosty."
    Killer VH tunes, imo, past or present.

Yours truly, As Is
    You cant recreate the youthful energy you had when you were young, so visually it's nowhere what it was, but their playing was still stellar on this tour. As Nick has said in the past, Al is no longer Animal behind the kit, but he's more like a sensei master, and just as deadly. Here's to a healthy recovery for Ed, and continued health for Al and Dave, and another great year in 2013!
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

EVH diehard ...
    i thought both versions were great .
    VH were untouchable in '81 though . full of energy and fire .

to hear those songs played now still gives me chills . the guys play them with a seasoned veteran type perspective , and still rock out .
    even Wolf sounds like a true pro these days .

it's just amazing that we even got the 2012 year out of VH , so just enjoy !
    not everyone can be 21 forever
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    not everyone can be 21 forever
    Except the store!