Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Lost a Good Friend yesterday morning.....
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lost a Good Friend yesterday morning.....

I debated whether to put this here or in House of Music. An old friend of mine, an amazing musician named Owain Phyfe, passed beyond the veil early yesterday morning. He had fought pancreatic cancer and complications from it for over a month and his body just couldn't take it anymore.

Owain was part of my Renaissance faire community. He sang traditional music and played a guitarra (a smaller, earlier version of the guitar), one that he had made himself. It was beaten and battered from travelling back and forth across the country, but it's sound was as clear and ringing as his expressive, exquisite tenor voice. He sang in many different languages, but my favorite was always when he sang in Welsh. He had a special connection to the language: his grandmother was Welsh and taught him to speak her native tongue at a young age.

He was a giving performer, always willing to welcome anyone to sing along with him, whether they could actually sing or not. He understood that music heals and lifts people up, and he was all about encouraging people to find that joy, to experience that lift. He had an impish sense of humor, a twinkle in his eye, and a huge loving heart. I know this type of music really isn't the preference of most folks here, but Owain was so gifted, and so personable, he could make anyone smile with his song....

This is one of my favorites of his: A Maid in Bedlam (the drummer in this piece is pretty cool too...I don't believe I've ever seen him perform...)

If you would, have a kind thought for his Lady, Paula tonight, and all his other friends who are grieving the loss of his company.
    Rest in peace, Owain, my friend. Thanks for all the laughter, smiles and beautiful music....
    remember....after the fire, after all the rain
    i will be the flame.....

Yours truly, As Is
    My condolences for your loss, Rav...
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Like Mike
    Sorry for your loss, Ravenna.

I feel your pain. I had a close family friend who was like an Uncle to me pass away a few weeks ago. Pancreatic Cancer is also something that I've noticed to be quite common lately. Jon Lord, my teammate's grandfather (he passed on last week) and now this.

If you want to talk to anyone about this, then you can inbox me.

You're strong and shouldn't need that though.

Love ya moms......
    I will keep his family friends and loved ones in my prayers.

Git some!
    I'm sorry to hear that, Rav. But focus on the memories and that voice of his. My condolences.

(That's a really lovely song you posted, he sounds like one of my favorite Scottish singers, Andy M Stewart.)
    Ready, Eddie!

EVH diehard ...
    very sorry to hear this news , Ravenna .

best wishes to friends and family at this time .
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

So sorry Rav. Blessings to you and his loved ones.

Only a little tardy
    His voice will always be there. My condolences to you and his family.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

I know the law, friend.
    Sorry to hear this Rav. Remember the good times together.
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-

Peace...
    My condolences for the loss of your friend Ravenna.

There is a memorial rose garden that the girls and I always "stop and sniff" at on our morning walks. We lingered longer this morning, in honor of your friend and took the time to enjoy the beauty and aroma of all the roses there. The yellow ones were particularly breathtaking. The rose of friendship I believe.

We left rather abruptly when Ginger attempted to eat the petals... I hope the image of a cocker spaniel dining on rose petals in a memorial garden might bring a smile to your face.... pic of said dog, below.

Peace to Owain, Paula, their family and of course you.

pictures from disc 2010 001.jpg
    Last edited by Nelah; September 8th, 2012 at 04:29 PM.