Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Vote for Eddie! Greatest Guitarist of all time - Page 8
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    Oh, I didnt know a mod liked it too. That's cool.

With regards to Hendrix, he may have started all the pyrotechnics, but Ed elevated it into the stratosphere, and hasnt been surpassed yet.
    EVH certainly refined it, and streamlined it. That is almost a given with time (cars get faster, athletes get stronger, etc), people building on the past. Nowadays kids are all over Youtube playing "Eruption"...kinda cheapens "technical wizardry" (to me, anyway). Paul Gilbert is certainly better technically than EVH. None of that shit matters.

Imagination. That's where it's at, everything else is secondary. Hendrix is as imaginative a player as I've ever heard, and EVH is right up there with him, I just think Hendrix is a thin notch above him. I think EVH is a better guitarist, but Hendrix is a better musician, and that is what I'm more interested in.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    EVH certainly refined it, and streamlined it. That is almost a given with time (cars get faster, athletes get stronger, etc), people building on the past. Nowadays kids are all over Youtube playing "Eruption"...kinda cheapens "technical wizardry" (to me, anyway). Paul Gilbert is certainly better technically than EVH. None of that shit matters.

Imagination. That's where it's at, everything else is secondary. Hendrix is as imaginative a player as I've ever heard, and EVH is right up there with him, I just think Hendrix is a thin notch above him. I think EVH is a better guitarist, but Hendrix is a better musician, and that is what I'm more interested in.
    For me, Ed is better at both, but that's cool. We all have favorites...

1983 A Merman I Should Turn To Be is one of his very best, though, off of his very best album!
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    For me, Ed is better at both, but that's cool. We all have favorites...

1983 A Merman I Should Turn To Be is one of his very best, though, off of his very best album!
    I understand. I don't mind people preferring EVH, but some on this board dismiss Hendrix, which I find ridiculous. When someone thinks Nuno Bettancourt, or some shredder is a better musician than Hendrix, I kinda get ashamed to post on this board.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

EVH diehard ...
    I understand. I don't mind people preferring EVH, but some on this board dismiss Hendrix, which I find ridiculous. When someone thinks Nuno Bettancourt, or some shredder is a better musician than Hendrix, I kinda get ashamed to post on this board.
    it's all good in my book .

i don't think anyone with a sound mind would dismiss Hendrix outright .
    he WAS creative and a brilliant musician in his day . there's no denying that .

for me , his music just doesn't resonate to the point where i would call him a hero or an inspiration .
    no harm no foul .

i think that Eddie's contributions to music were equally impressive , if not more so .
    that's just me and my opinion .
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Like Mike
    How much more history do you need? Hendrix is still considered the most influential rock player. He has a wider palette of sounds and feels than EVH. I could care less if he isn't as technically proficient, he plays fast enough to me.

It's funny, that "higher plane" quote is the exact quote Steve Rosen (I think it was him), used to dismiss Steve Vai. I have yet to hear any musician on a higher plane than Jimi Hendrix, he may be matched, but not surpassed. Visionary stuff, so imaginative that is beyond technical assessments ("he didn't pick that passage cleanly" sounds petty when critiquing a wash of sound that seems to have come from another planet).

Even if EVH wasn't directly influenced by listening to Hendrix (which I seriously doubt), his influence was so pervasive, that EVH was just getting it 2nd hand (which would be pretty lame on his part. Like someone claiming they didn't like EVH, but loved Vito Bratta).

I know this has all already been discussed, and I think you guys know what I think may dim EVH's appreciation of Hendrix. It's really not a competition anyway.

Of course I love EVH, and place him at 1A.
    Yes. Sure, he died young and that might get him "bonus points", but at the end of they day there's a reason why he's so highly regarded. People on this site saying that Eddie blows Jimi out of the water and such is ridiculous. If he did, he would be recognised for it a lot more. I'm not saying that Jimi is better than Eddie, I've stated my views, but there's a reason why he's so highly regarded. If Eddie really was so incredibly superior to Jimi... I'm repeating myself.

Jimi definitely has greater soundscapes than Eddie. I think only Pete Townshend comes close to Jimmy Page and Hendrix in creating incredible soundscapes like that. Jimi was an incredible songwriter. As insane as Eddie's playing is/was, and all the stuff he came up with (man, if they released the stuff from the vaults of Eddie, there'd probably be more releases than Jimi's posthumous ones), I always feel that there's something missing from his sound that Jimi and Jimmy had. Not to be mistaken with tone.. I think that Eddie has hands down has the greatest tone ever. Also, like you stated later in this thread from this point, Jimi is the better song writer. No doubt about that.

People tend to forget that Jimi isn't about fast runs and perfectly picked passages... He was creating music from another planet.

Like Mike
    I'm glad we had this discussion, cuz now I'm listening to "1983...A Merman I Should Turn To Be" and having my mind blown. I recommend you do the same!
    I didn't even know this tune existed until about two years ago. My Dad never had Ladyland because of the nude cover (couldn't get it when he was younger because his Mom was in the house, then later on he had me and he didn't feel that was appropriate). I ended up getting it myself, and this tune blew me away. It took me places. Absolutely amazing.
    It's also crazy how many bands and guitar players have ripped off that intro guitar melody... Metallica and Iron Maiden just to name a couple.

Like Mike
    As for Jimi not having more feeling than Eddie... Come on, Eddie never recorded anything as beautiful as "Castles Made of Sand". Jimi seems like he was a more sensitive guy who was more in tune with his feelings, where as Eddie was just a monster on the fretboard who's sound just obliterated everyone.

Like Mike
    That brown sound... God damn! So jet powered compared to anything before it, and so much warmer and unique than anything to come after it.

Hendrix has the more recognisable tone though. I don't know if it's just me, but I hear one note of Jimi and I know it's him straight away. Eddie definitely has his own sound, but for some reason Jimi's the only player where I only have to hear one note and think "yep, that's Jimi alright". Then again, Robbie, JD and UG probably have the same thing with Eddie.
    I don't choose this stuff, for some reason it's just how it is with me.

I know it's going to seem like I'm beating down Ed, but I view him, Jimi and Jimmy as equals, and I don't like people downplaying any of them. If this was a Hendrix board with people saying the same stuff about Eddie, I'd be doing the same thing.

EVH diehard ...
    it's a good thing that you tell it like it is , vhjack .

you have your views and the sense to back them up . our thoughts may differ from time to time , but you clearly have a firm grasp of music knowledge .
    i'm actually a bit shocked and relieved that this didn't turn into one of those "you're a moron" or "f**k you" type threads !

like the old cliche - it's music , not the Olympics

to be honest , i was checking out your Youtube page today and digging some of the old VH nuggets you have on there . neat stuff that i've heard before but still a treat to revisit after a while .
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Yours truly, As Is
    Sorry. But saying Jimi is a "superior songwriter...hands down" is an overstatement if ever there was one. I too, will repeat myself...if Ed dies after FW is released, are you really going to sit there and say that he wouldnt be as revered as Hendrix? Over the years it has become quite fashionable to kick down Edward. That wouldnt be the case if all we had was 4 masterpiece albums, the club days boots, and WB Demos.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!