Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Vote for Eddie! Greatest Guitarist of all time - Page 11
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Only a little tardy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    Dont recall anyone ever saying Hendrix was a one trick pony. It could also be argued that perhaps Clapton or Page had just as big of an influence on the 70s as Jimi. There didnt seem to be some massive wave of guitarists clamoring to cop his style the way that happened with Ed in the early 80s. Or you'd have punk/new wave guitarists in the 80s who often times in interviews would specifically claim they didnt play the "Van Halen style". There seem to be more Zep ripoffs occuring in the 70s than Hendrix clones.

There are always an array of influences on any generation. But it is odd how you state, matter of factly, that Jimi "certainly" influenced the 70s, but say Ed only influenced the mainstream of the 80s, adding in the caveat, "there were certainly other guitarists of that era that others looked up to." Maybe you meant to say "eraS", talking about both the 70s and 80s.

Either way, they are the 2 modern day game changers of the electric guitar, distinctly above everyone else. And we owe it all to Les Paul.
    I was stating that he wasn't the only influence of the 70s, in fact, I said that there were other guitarists in that era that had influence as well. Blackmore, Page, Gallagher, etc were huge influences in the 70s. I was stating about Jimi and Eddie on the different eras they were in. I also did say it mattered what person you asked on what influences they had on they're playing.

Les Paul is, in no question or doubt, the root of all electric guitar playing.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    I was stating that he wasn't the only influence of the 70s, in fact, I said that there were other guitarists in that era that had influence as well. Blackmore, Page, Gallagher, etc were huge influences in the 70s. I was stating about Jimi and Eddie on the different eras they were in. I also did say it mattered what person you asked on what influences they had on they're playing.

Les Paul is, in no question or doubt, the root of all electric guitar playing.
    I agree. There are many influences in every era and really, in the end, it just boils down to who a person enjoys the most. Very rarely is anybody's mind going to be changed, but it's fun to make a case for our favorites. It's the same with any musical instrument.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Band Manager
    Really? I honestly dont see or read very often Ed getting those kind of props at all these days, except on VH fan forums.

I apologize if it seems I was dismissing Hendrix. I would probably put him either at 2 or 3 but just get tired of the pedestal he is put on in the media with no discussion at all of anyone else. Yeah...I'd put him at 2.
    I have heard "Eddie is the best ever" from all kinds of tools that haven't a clue and just wanna have a popular opinion. I don't think you are dismissing him, but I have read other posts that have. EVH gets plenty of props from people that don't really know shit. Especially after "Beat It" ("the greatest guitar solo of all time!").
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    I have heard "Eddie is the best ever" from all kinds of tools that haven't a clue and just wanna have a popular opinion. I don't think you are dismissing him, but I have read other posts that have. EVH gets plenty of props from people that don't really know shit. Especially after "Beat It" ("the greatest guitar solo of all time!").
    It's probably because you are based in LA, Ed's stomping grounds. I know when I fly down there to see VH at the Staples Center with my cousin there is always a different vibe seeing them there. The Tacoma Dome was sold out up here and it was an awesome concert, but still not the same vibe or feeling as being in LA for a VH gig.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Band Manager
    It's probably because you are based in LA, Ed's stomping grounds. I know when I fly down there to see VH at the Staples Center with my cousin there is always a different vibe seeing them there. The Tacoma Dome was sold out up here and it was an awesome concert, but still not the same vibe or feeling as being in LA for a VH gig.
    I'm not really that worked up about this topic, and I hate "top 10 lists" anyway. GW is just trying to generate interest in their magazine, and do some demographic collecting. If Robert Johnson doesn't get any votes, no more mentions in that rag. If Duane Allman doesn't move the meter, no more covers for him, etc.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    I'm not really that worked up about this topic, and I hate "top 10 lists" anyway. GW is just trying to generate interest in their magazine, and do some demographic collecting. If Robert Johnson doesn't get any votes, no more mentions in that rag. If Duane Allman doesn't move the meter, no more covers for him, etc.
    Well, so far, Ed has been getting the most votes of any player in the poll, so we should get more VH interviews and articles in the future!

Like Mike
    Your missing the point. Hendrix didnt have hugely successful "hits" but they've become hugely popular over time. What, do you think, VH's songs would've just disappeared if Ed dies in '82? Most assuredly, the exact opposite would've happened. I can remember a time back in the 80s, when VH were at their zenith in popularity, when there actually were serious debates as to who was the greatest, Ed or Jimi?

Ed actually has been revered in many articles for his songwriting, even if in the last 15 yrs he's been cut down and relegated to only being gimmicky "Mr. Tapping". I cant be too harsh though. This is the era of VH you grew up with, which is vastly different than the one in which guys like Robbie and I did.

EVERY artist with a substantially long career goes through ups and downs. Hendrix would have been no different had he lived long enough. This would have had an impact on the general public's view of him, and that's who we are really talking about. The masses and how they view the artists we diehards love. Sure, the average rock fan knows and loves Purple Haze, because they've been conditioned to, but do you really believe the average radio listener even knows 1983 for example. Doubt it.
    Jimi blew the doors off guitar in the 60s. Nearly every guitarist was thinking "Jesus, this guy is so far ahead of what we're doing". The same deal with Ed coming onto the scene. I wasn't alive then, I can't say "his songs were definitely hits", but at the same time, I highly doubt he was just an indie guitarist who's songs weren't very well known. Legendary musicians were all flocking to see his gigs... Jeff Beck, Pete Townshend, Jimmy Page, your favourite, the Beatles, etc. Musicians with huge egos coming to see what this young kid can do and getting blown away. Sure, guys like Tony Iommi and Ted Nugent saw Eddie when they toured together and got blown away, but they weren't specifically coming to watch him. You can't just blow off Hendrix as someone was was okay back then with that kind of following. On the contrary, Ed's impact was so big that guys like Ritchie and Joe Perry hated him for a while.

The thing that blew me away the most about Eddie when I was first getting into Van Halen was the riffs and rhythm playing, but come on, you are seriously in denial if you think his songwriting skills are superior to the stuff Jimi was pulling off on Ladyland and Band of Gypsys. I know that Jimi would of declined, but like Ed, his original influence and place in history would still be there. Eddie didn't die. Would it have made a difference? Sure. But Jimi had his influence straight out of the gate like Eddie did.

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    Hold on, first off, there's a difference between songwriting and riff-making. Jimi wrote both the lyrics and music for his songs, Edward wrote riffs and had Alex and Mike help composition it together. Not in anyway am I degrading him by stating that, just for me I HAVE to differentiate between the two. It'd be like calling Tony Iommi, the ultimate riff master, a superb songwriter when in fact he made the riffs, Butler had the lyrics, and Ozzy had the melody. There is a difference, so to say that Edward had songwriting skills is sorta half-assing a peppered statement with reason behind it, but still, it's not totally correct.

And I absolutely hate when one says the young grew up in a different era of Van Halen. We're on a fucking Van Halen site for fuck's sake, you'd think we'd have more insight than the usual tweenybopper casually listening to "Jump" and "Why Can't this be Love" while the rest of the iPod is filled with Nickleback, etc. So throw that arguement out, we've read just as much interviews and articles of the Van Halens to get a historical context of what the flying fuck we're talking about. Even so, you may have grown to like a different music of that era than what others liked at the time. Just because you grew up in the 80s doesn't mean you know more about everything on that era, I wouldn't even claim that with this decade. Shit, everyone remembers the Deep Purple debacle? Wierd how the younger generation sees them as one of the 1970s pioneers yet every other 40 year old on here, save a few, called them below second tier. In what historical context that was coming from, I'd have to guess one from one was CONDITIONED in.

Sure, EVH was not a one-trick pony, but neither was Jimi! Even so, it is again what person you ask in the matter of influence these two had on guitarists. Jimi certainly had the 70s, while EVH had the 80s in a mainstream view. There were certainly other guitarists in that era that others looked up to.

Ugh, I'm gonna go get some tea and chill the fuck out...
    Thank you. This needed to be said.

Like Mike
    I think that in guitar circles, Eddie has been vastly under-rated. 70th and then 8th on Rolling Stone's lists? What the fuck? Are you serious? But at the same time, I don't like it when anyone tries to dismiss Hendrix as a guy who got lucky. It seems at times that arguments made on here are "I like him the best, therefore he is the best". No. Is Nirvana my favourite grunge band? No way. Are they the best, considering their influence and impact? Yes. Shaq is my favourite NBA player of all time, but he's not the greatest player or center of all time. The case can be made that Eddie is the greatest of all time (obviously), but he doesn't just blow everyone away. There's different depths to music than lead guitar, riffs and inventing gear.

Ah well, this is a fun debate either way.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    Jimi blew the doors off guitar in the 60s. Nearly every guitarist was thinking "Jesus, this guy is so far ahead of what we're doing". The same deal with Ed coming onto the scene. I wasn't alive then, I can't say "his songs were definitely hits", but at the same time, I highly doubt he was just an indie guitarist who's songs weren't very well known. Legendary musicians were all flocking to see his gigs... Jeff Beck, Pete Townshend, Jimmy Page, your favourite, the Beatles, etc. Musicians with huge egos coming to see what this young kid can do and getting blown away. Sure, guys like Tony Iommi and Ted Nugent saw Eddie when they toured together and got blown away, but they weren't specifically coming to watch him. You can't just blow off Hendrix as someone was was okay back then with that kind of following. On the contrary, Ed's impact was so big that guys like Ritchie and Joe Perry hated him for a while.

The thing that blew me away the most about Eddie when I was first getting into Van Halen was the riffs and rhythm playing, but come on, you are seriously in denial if you think his songwriting skills are superior to the stuff Jimi was pulling off on Ladyland and Band of Gypsys. I know that Jimi would of declined, but like Ed, his original influence and place in history would still be there. Eddie didn't die. Would it have made a difference? Sure. But Jimi had his influence straight out of the gate like Eddie did.
    Yes, of course Jimi was popular, but what I was getting at is he didnt have a bunch of huge chart topping pop singles. And yes, both Jimi and Ed's legacies were cemented immediately out of the gate, but Jimi's has the luxury, if you can call it that, of never seeing a decline or down period to diminish it, due to his early death. As I said before, I will take an aging Ed at 57 with a legacy that is "tainted", fairly or not, over him dying too soon and being forever young and on top of his game. Yes, I do indeed like Ed's songs better than Jimi's.

Yes, you are right, this has been really fun to debate and engage in. Your trinity of rock guitarists is actually the same as mine, Jack! I just have Ed as the head, Jimi is the left hand, and Jimmy is the right hand.