Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Roadie

Quiet Riot - Live at the US Festival DVD

There was a thread here a while back about some US Festival performances being released on DVD. The first two were Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson, but they also recently released Quiet Riot's set from that day on CD/DVD. It looks and sounds great considering that it was recorded almost 30 years ago (how is that possible??? ) Anyway, I'm not sure who owns the rights to these, or if it's a possibility, but it sure would be cool to see Van Halen's set get the same type of release.

http://www.shoutfactorystore.com/prod.aspx?pfid=5257702

Wow...people out in the sun on Memorial Day having a good time listening to rock n' roll instead of hip hop or some dorky-looking "alternative indie" band. Whatever happened to this? Now rock doesn't sell and rock radio is at the bottom of the ratings.

When I was 11, I thought Quiet Riot were gods (still think that Washburn guitar looks kinda cool, and they sell pretty cheap on E-Bay these days), then I thought they were crap. Now that I hear them compared to whatever might be airing on TV right now...maybe the next time I see Metal Health at the used CD shop I should pick it up.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    Wow...people out in the sun on Memorial Day having a good time listening to rock n' roll instead of hip hop or some dorky-looking "alternative indie" band. Whatever happened to this? Now rock doesn't sell and rock radio is at the bottom of the ratings.

When I was 11, I thought Quiet Riot were gods (still think that Washburn guitar looks kinda cool, and they sell pretty cheap on E-Bay these days), then I thought they were crap. Now that I hear them compared to whatever might be airing on TV right now...maybe the next time I see Metal Health at the used CD shop I should pick it up.
    Haha, I agree. A lot of today's bands make bands like QR look amazing. They were always a guilty pleasure, however cheesy Kevin Dubrow was.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

EVH diehard ...
    i have a two dvd set from the Us Festival . it was neat to see some of those bands at that time .

other than Van Halen (of course) , i really liked the Ozzy set . it was great to see early footage of Jake E Lee doing his thing with the Prince of Darkness !
    hopefully UG will chime in on this , but Jake was an absolute hero of mine , when i couldn't even tune a guitar !!

he was my guitar god , right before Eddie .

R.I.P to Randy , and would've loved to have seen him at this gig , but out of all those that followed , Jake did the best (IMO) job of recreating RR's stuff .
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    i have a two dvd set from the Us Festival . it was neat to see some of those bands at that time .

other than Van Halen (of course) , i really liked the Ozzy set . it was great to see early footage of Jake E Lee doing his thing with the Prince of Darkness !
    hopefully UG will chime in on this , but Jake was an absolute hero of mine , when i couldn't even tune a guitar !!

he was my guitar god , right before Eddie .

R.I.P to Randy , and would've loved to have seen him at this gig , but out of all those that followed , Jake did the best (IMO) job of recreating RR's stuff .
    Haha, hell yeah Robbie! Jake is STILL my favorite Ozzie guitarist! He and Vito have to be two of the most underappreciated guitarists ever.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

EVH diehard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    Haha, hell yeah Robbie! Jake is STILL my favorite Ozzie guitarist! He and Vito have to be two of the most underappreciated guitarists ever.
    yeah , yeah , and hell yeah !!

good to see you , JD .

Jake and Vito were both hotshot players in their own way , but never became 'name' guitarists ??
    weird in a way , but not really ...

i remember chatting about this before , but it's still true !!
    these cats should've been waaay more famous than they were , IMO.

** back on thread topic ** i'd really love a pro-shot and cleaned up version of the VH portion of the US Festival .
    ( the quality of the footage i have , makes me REALLY not think that this is the cut that was to be shown on Japanese TV or as an American 'pay-per-view' show)
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

Yours truly, As Is
    yeah , yeah , and hell yeah !!

good to see you , JD .

Jake and Vito were both hotshot players in their own way , but never became 'name' guitarists ??
    weird in a way , but not really ...

i remember chatting about this before , but it's still true !!
    these cats should've been waaay more famous than they were , IMO.

** back on thread topic ** i'd really love a pro-shot and cleaned up version of the VH portion of the US Festival .
    ( the quality of the footage i have , makes me REALLY not think that this is the cut that was to be shown on Japanese TV or as an American 'pay-per-view' show)
    The US Festival is still one of my favorite VH concerts, even with all the drunken mistakes haha, and it would be sweet to see a great "full" clean version and not just the 4 songs that were aired on Showtime back in '83.

I think Vito, in particular, was hurt by the perception of the band he was in. White Lion werent the greatest band, but HE was always simply a joy to watch.

EVH diehard ...
    yeah , it's funny ....
    i have the whole VH concert at US , and i love it !
    but at the end of the disc , there's the 'promo' vids for tv from the same show ??!!

night and day difference .

as far as Vitto ?
    not much can be said except WOW !! man , he was smokin'

y\know how people obviously taped some VH club shows ?
    i'd love to hear a bootleg of Vitto when he was playing the clubs , making a name for himself as the 'new Eddie' ..
    by his own admission , he did a lot of EVH tricks and even copied lots of licks . i'd love to hear that !!!!!
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

Love ya moms......
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    Haha, I agree. A lot of today's bands make bands like QR look amazing. They were always a guilty pleasure, however cheesy Kevin Dubrow was.
    Hahaha.... a lotta bands today make poison and QR look like the beatles and zeppelin.

Yours truly, As Is
    yeah , it's funny ....
    i have the whole VH concert at US , and i love it !
    but at the end of the disc , there's the 'promo' vids for tv from the same show ??!!

night and day difference .

as far as Vitto ?
    not much can be said except WOW !! man , he was smokin'

y\know how people obviously taped some VH club shows ?
    i'd love to hear a bootleg of Vitto when he was playing the clubs , making a name for himself as the 'new Eddie' ..
    by his own admission , he did a lot of EVH tricks and even copied lots of licks . i'd love to hear that !!!!!
    Yes, the US Fest is VH "unchained"! I have the audio of the 4 tracks they put on Showtime, with, umm, cleaned up lead AND backing vocals, and it sounds sweet!

I always loved how humble Vitto was, and he was never shy about admitting his admiration of Edward. It's too bad he got burnt out on the industry and then injured his wrist as well! It is sad to see someone of his caliber fall by the wayside with all the no talent hacks that make it big nowadays. Hopefully, someday he will come back and atleast get out there and play.

It would be REALLY cool to hear him playing in some NYC clubs back in the day! I think that's where he started out?