Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
2012 US Presidential Election Thread - Page 172
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 172 of 172 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172
Results 1,711 to 1,717 of 1717
    Quote Originally Posted by EVH_Erupted View Post
    Taking the words a little out of meaning...They need help. I may not like Federal involvement, but I'm not a dick.
    Yes, I'm just exaggerating to say, if FEMA is in the way, then are they better off that FEMA isn't there? Have corporations and charities been able to fill the gap? I would say no to both.

Also, when this happened in New Orleans, I was really surprised to hear people calling in to a local right wing talk show and saying, "New Orleans was a toilet and God flushed!," and pretty soon everybody began blaming the victims. I never imagined anything like average Americans mocking dead and dying hurricane victims, but it became the norm. Then about four years ago we got some heavy flooding in areas here, and although on one hand I felt pity, I had to laugh that some of these same asshats on the evening news who were screaming to Joe Biden about where their aid was at were probably the same ones who were calling in to talk radio and making Katrina jokes just a few years earlier. Maybe what went around, came around, I thought. If my fellow Red Staters were so full of self sufficience maybe they should've just grabbed some buckets and got the rainwater out of their living room themselves.

Git some!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    Yes, I'm just exaggerating to say, if FEMA is in the way, then are they better off that FEMA isn't there? Have corporations and charities been able to fill the gap? I would say no to both.

Also, when this happened in New Orleans, I was really surprised to hear people calling in to a local right wing talk show and saying, "New Orleans was a toilet and God flushed!," and pretty soon everybody began blaming the victims. I never imagined anything like average Americans mocking dead and dying hurricane victims, but it became the norm. Then about four years ago we got some heavy flooding in areas here, and although on one hand I felt pity, I had to laugh that some of these same asshats on the evening news who were screaming to Joe Biden about where their aid was at were probably the same ones who were calling in to talk radio and making Katrina jokes just a few years earlier. Maybe what went around, came around, I thought. If my fellow Red Staters were so full of self sufficience maybe they should've just grabbed some buckets and got the rainwater out of their living room themselves.
    I'd rather have it in the hands of the states and local groups. If FEMA had been better operated, I wouldn't have a problem though.

Again, I'm not the one saying that. I don't mock the dead nor victims of such travesty.
    Ready, Eddie!

Quote Originally Posted by EVH_Erupted View Post
    Again, I'm not the one saying that. I don't mock the dead nor victims of such travesty.
    Oh, no, I know.

Git some!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    Oh, no, I know.
    See, self-reliance is a great thing but... isn't helping others too?

It's funny that many of the radical Christian right wingers are the ones to stick up their nose to victims, but "adhere" to Christian teachings of help one another.
    Ready, Eddie!

I know the law, friend.
    The Counter Offer.........

Mr Boehner's proposal would raise revenues by $800 billion over ten years by closing loopholes rather than raising rates, and cut $1.2 trillion in spending. Some $600 billion would be cut out of Medicare, Medicaid and Obamacare; $300 billion would come from mandatory spending, and $300 billion from discretionary spending. Seems like there's room for negotiation there! But of course the devil's in the details. So, as for Mr Boehner's specific tax increase proposals...

“Under the Republican offer, tax revenue would rise by $800 billion over 10 years, through closing loopholes and ending or curtailing deductions and tax credits. Mr. Boehner did not specify on Monday which tax breaks would be curtailed.”

Right. Never mind. Check this space again when Mr Boehner explains how he expects to get $800 billion in deduction limits over ten years without creating tax humps, and then makes it clear to the American people that what he wants is to slash the charitable giving and home-mortgage interest deductions. That will at least be an interesting political spectacle.
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-

I know the law, friend.

They also thought she was crazy when she said, "If we don't run Chris Christie, Romney will be the nominee and he'll lose."
    Last edited by cowboydan; December 6th, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-

If you think Fiscal Cliff was Norm's friend on Cheers, let Mr. Burns explain it to you: