Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
2012 US Presidential Election Thread
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 172 1231151101 ... LastLast
    I know the law, friend.

2012 US Presidential Election Thread

Alright you political junkies, let's kick this thing off right!

This one absolutely kills me......

Romney taking credit for auto industry success

By STEVE PEOPLES, Associated Press 1 day ago

EUCLID, Ohio (AP) Campaigning in the backyard of America's auto industry, Mitt Romney re-ignited the bailout debate by suggesting he deserves "a lot of credit" for the recent successes of the nation's largest car companies.

That claims comes in spite of his stance that Detroit should have been allowed to go bankrupt.

The presumptive Republican presidential nominee told a Cleveland television station on Monday that President Barack Obama followed his lead when he ushered auto companies through a managed bankruptcy soon after taking office.

"I pushed the idea of a managed bankruptcy, and finally when that was done, and help was given, the companies got back on their feet," Romney said in an interview inside a Cleveland-area auto parts maker. "So, I'll take a lot of credit for the fact that this industry has come back."

Romney has repeatedly argued that Obama ultimately took his advice on the auto industry's woes of 2008 and 2009. But he went further on Monday by saying he deserves credit for its ultimate turnaround.

The course Romney advocated differed greatly from the one that was ultimately taken. GM and Chrysler went into bankruptcy on the strength of a massive bailout that Romney opposed. Neither Republican President George W. Bush nor Democratic President Barack Obama believed the automakers would have survived without that backup from taxpayers.

Romney opposed taxpayer help.

"If General Motors, Ford and Chrysler get the bailout that their chief executives asked for yesterday, you can kiss the American automotive industry goodbye," Romney wrote in a November 2008 opinion article in the New York Times. "It won't go overnight, but its demise will be virtually guaranteed."

General Motors posted a record profit last year.

The issue is critical in at least two general election swing states: Ohio and Michigan, where the auto bailouts are popular among some Republicans and Democrats.

The Obama campaign pounced on Romney's statement Monday night, calling it "a new low in dishonesty" and calling on him to have "the courage and integrity" to admit he was wrong.

Romney is scheduled to campaign in Michigan on Tuesday.

So, is this flip-flop going to be the signature moment that the Obama campaign can point to over and over throughout the coming months as evidence that Mitt can't be trusted? Also, does it hurt his status as a smart businessman, seeing that he was clearly proven wrong?
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-

Major development today:

"I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point Ive just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married," he said. -Barack Obama

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboydan View Post
    Alright you political junkies, let's kick this thing off right!

This one absolutely kills me......

Romney taking credit for auto industry success

By STEVE PEOPLES, Associated Press 1 day ago

EUCLID, Ohio (AP) Campaigning in the backyard of America's auto industry, Mitt Romney re-ignited the bailout debate by suggesting he deserves "a lot of credit" for the recent successes of the nation's largest car companies.

That claims comes in spite of his stance that Detroit should have been allowed to go bankrupt.

The presumptive Republican presidential nominee told a Cleveland television station on Monday that President Barack Obama followed his lead when he ushered auto companies through a managed bankruptcy soon after taking office.

"I pushed the idea of a managed bankruptcy, and finally when that was done, and help was given, the companies got back on their feet," Romney said in an interview inside a Cleveland-area auto parts maker. "So, I'll take a lot of credit for the fact that this industry has come back."

Romney has repeatedly argued that Obama ultimately took his advice on the auto industry's woes of 2008 and 2009. But he went further on Monday by saying he deserves credit for its ultimate turnaround.

The course Romney advocated differed greatly from the one that was ultimately taken. GM and Chrysler went into bankruptcy on the strength of a massive bailout that Romney opposed. Neither Republican President George W. Bush nor Democratic President Barack Obama believed the automakers would have survived without that backup from taxpayers.

Romney opposed taxpayer help.

"If General Motors, Ford and Chrysler get the bailout that their chief executives asked for yesterday, you can kiss the American automotive industry goodbye," Romney wrote in a November 2008 opinion article in the New York Times. "It won't go overnight, but its demise will be virtually guaranteed."

General Motors posted a record profit last year.

The issue is critical in at least two general election swing states: Ohio and Michigan, where the auto bailouts are popular among some Republicans and Democrats.

The Obama campaign pounced on Romney's statement Monday night, calling it "a new low in dishonesty" and calling on him to have "the courage and integrity" to admit he was wrong.

Romney is scheduled to campaign in Michigan on Tuesday.

So, is this flip-flop going to be the signature moment that the Obama campaign can point to over and over throughout the coming months as evidence that Mitt can't be trusted? Also, does it hurt his status as a smart businessman, seeing that he was clearly proven wrong?
    More & more, one can see how crucial Mitt's VP pick is gonna be, considering the fact that he lacks any sort of endearing
    qualities that would convince voters.
    Romney is just not likeable or even believable.
    He's like a robot, cold & disconnected, saying anything he's programmed to say.

As much as i thought Bush was a disaster, Dubya DID have a certain charm & personality.
    Same thing with Clinton.
    Obama has it, as well.
    They possess qualities that make them somewhat likable and endearing.
    Romney is like this uber-wealthy, out of touch, human machine.

I just don't see him beating Barack, UNLESS...
    He can find a VP with a personality & persuasive attributes, that could sway the voters.

Love ya moms......
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpyliberalbuster32 View Post
    Major development today:

"I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point Ive just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married," he said. -Barack Obama
    So he supports it now but at one point he was against it. I expected nothing less from the spineless magical kenyan.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    So he supports it now but at one point he was against it. I expected nothing less from the spineless magical kenyan.
    He blows in the same direction as to whatever the political winds of the day are at that moment. Say whatever to whomever, to get elected.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

North Carolina voting for a gay marriage ban really amuses me, but not for the usual reasons.

In 2008 the citizens of California, the most liberal, "enlightened," "progressive" place in the United States, and maybe the world, voted for a ban on gay marriage. (It only became legal there because the court overruled the people, which should be the REAL stink, in my mind.) No one said anything. Colorado, Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, Wisconsin, and about a dozen other states have also previously voted for bans on gay marriage. Nothing said.

Now North Carolina, a Southern state, votes for a ban on gay marriage, and the comedians I follow on Twitter are exploding with jokes about, "They'd rather fuck their cousins down there! They fuck sheep! I heard a guy from North Carolina cheated on his wife with a dog!" Andy Richter, who I love (in a non-gay way), tweeted, "The people of North Carolina voted to throw themselves under the wheels of the bus of history today." I tweeted back to him, "Just like a dozen or so states before them."

Funny to me that Californians can vote against gay marriage and Hollywood says nothing, but then North Carolina votes the same way, and they're the butt of a thousand cousin-fucker jokes.

I think Obama should've stayed neutral/vague on the topic until after the election. Even if he was flat out against it, there's zero chance his supporters would leave him for Romney. On the other hand this announcement may scare off conservative-leaning independents.

I know the law, friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpyliberalbuster32 View Post
    Major development today:

It's about damn time, too.
    -David Lee Roth-

No cheer******s allowed!
    I don't think Obama was ever really against gay marriage, but i do think he was cautious with being vocal about it, due to
    whatever outrage could come his way from the more conservative minded democrats.
    I think he should have continued to be careful, and waited until after the election.

Personally, i think both he & Mitt could give two shits who'm marries who'm, it's nobodies business, in the
    grand scheme of things.
    Yet, this country continues to drag it out & make it such an all consuming and defining issue.

Only a little tardy
    Oh god, please don't remind me of NC...last night was horrible with it...I swear I could see friends having steam come out their ears...
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

I know the law, friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I don't think Obama was ever really against gay marriage, but i do think he was cautious with being vocal about it, due to
    whatever outrage could come his way from the more conservative minded democrats.
    I think he should have continued to be careful, and waited until after the election.

Personally, i think both he & Mitt could give two shits who'm marries who'm, it's nobodies business, in the
    grand scheme of things.
    Yet, this country continues to drag it out & make it such an all consuming and defining issue.
    Good points by both UG & ICM. I'm not sure how much it will hurt him politically though. Ending Don't Ask, Don't Tell and refusing to enforce DOMA probably put people on whatever side of the lines they're on already. I'm not sure this does anything but strengthen the base and bring in more money to his coffers.

I wonder if any gay republicans will vote for Obama now that he's announced this? Romney said he's completely against gay marriage and civil unions. Wouldn't you vote for the guy that's for your lifestyle, not the guy who's against it?
    -David Lee Roth-