Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Ronnie Montrose Dead
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Mike

Ronnie Montrose Dead

Somewhere out there, Sammy is fist-pumping in happiness.

-------------

http://ronniemontrose.com/

Ronnie Montrose ~ 1947-2012

A few months ago, we held a surprise party for Ronnie Montrose's 64th birthday. He gave an impromptu speech, and told us that after a long life, filled with joy and hardship, he didn't take any of our love for granted.

He passed today. He'd battled cancer, and staved off old age for long enough. And true to form, he chose his own exit the way he chose his own life. We miss him already, but we're glad to have shared with him while we could.

TROUBLE BUSTIN' THROUGH
    Rip ronnie will be missed

Band Manager

Damn.

Ronnie will be missed. Not just for those Montrose albums, but I have some Gamma and solo material from him. It was all great. The world lost another talent.
    Hey Hey Mama said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove

Permanent vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    Somewhere out there, Sammy is fist-pumping in happiness.
    Why would you say that? Were they on bad terms?

I was bummed out when I read this news. Ronnie was always quite underrated, IMO. Real firey player, and he had a great sound on those early albums. Easily the best stuff Sammy Hagar put his name to. The self-titled debut album is fantastic... Like VH a few years later, there isn't a dud tune on it. He was just as fierce when he played live, too. Somewhere I've got a recording labeled 'Montrose -- Studio Rehearsals 1974', and it is just wicked.

I wonder if Iron Maiden will put their cover of "I Got The Fire" into the set for the upcoming summer tour, as a tribute?

"I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

No cheer******s allowed!
    Wow, first Mark Reale, now Ronnie Montrose.
    I'm also worried about Tony Iommi...

I have three Montrose albums: Montrose, Paper Money & Jump on it.
    I;ve always enjoyed them immensely, just loved Ronnie's tone.
    He was a great player, with so many great songs, which is always the thing
    that impresses me the most.

That first Montrose album really is the blueprint for what became VHI.
    What a great record.

I like Montrose! I think he was a very good guitar player. Mick Mars totally ripped off the intro from Bad Motor Scooter in Kickstart My Heart.

I wonder if we will get a statement from the Spaminator?

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpyliberalbuster32 View Post
    I like Montrose! I think he was a very good guitar player. Mick Mars totally ripped off the intro from Bad Motor Scooter in Kickstart My Heart.

I wonder if we will get a statement from the Spaminator?
    He already trashed him in his book.

Permanent vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    That first Montrose album really is the blueprint for what became VHI.
    What a great record.
    You said it, UG. A lot of fans are loathe to admit it in light of what Hagar did to the band years later. But that record really is a priceless slice of 70s rock in itself, even if Ronnie is a far cry from Eddie.
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfreak View Post
    Why would you say that? Were they on bad terms?

I was bummed out when I read this news. Ronnie was always quite underrated, IMO. Real firey player, and he had a great sound on those early albums. Easily the best stuff Sammy Hagar put his name to. The self-titled debut album is fantastic... Like VH a few years later, there isn't a dud tune on it. He was just as fierce when he played live, too. Somewhere I've got a recording labeled 'Montrose -- Studio Rehearsals 1974', and it is just wicked.

I wonder if Iron Maiden will put their cover of "I Got The Fire" into the set for the upcoming summer tour, as a tribute?

See UG's post of Sammy trashing him in his book.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfreak View Post
    You said it, UG. A lot of fans are loathe to admit it in light of what Hagar did to the band years later. But that record really is a priceless slice of 70s rock in itself, even if Ronnie is a far cry from Eddie.
    The album has great riffs & GREAT tone, which kind of set the stage.
    I still really love things like, Rock the Nation & Space Station.
    And a young, scrappy Sammy Hagar really impressed, on that record.
    I don't like the guy much today, but i will always hand it to him for seriously
    delivering the goods on that first Montrose album.