Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Tornado crap...move West?
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Tornado crap...move West?

Tonight, the annual tornado shit started around here. Used to tornadoes were of little concern, but in the past decade or so, they've steadily ramped up until we spend the spring and summer running up and down the stairs to the basement and crouching in the corners with our hands over our heads. I didn't get anything but a hard drizzle so far tonight but via Facebook I'm hearing reports of torn-off roofs and demolished neighborhoods just 25 miles away! And it may not be finished for the night!

Which gets me thinking about heading West. I've visited Los Angeles twice in my life, and overall I really dug it. It's the home of Van Halen! My Dad lived in Pasadena for a few years in the `60's and always spoke really glowingly of it. However, more practically, Phoenix, Arizona has a lower cost of living than Atlanta, and even better, no tornadoes, no hurricanes, no snow, and no floods! It would be a huge-ass move, but I feel like I'm sitting on a bullseye here! I've got some family in Tuscon, but I don't really know them.

Is anyone here out in Arizona? More generally, has anyone here ever done a big cross-country move? I'd LOVE it if I could rent this house out AND try living somewhere else. Anyone ever done it?

IMO, the safest area of the country is the Northeast. No earthquake faults, no extreme temperatures, you get to enjoy all 4 seasons, no Hurricanes, no Tornadoes, just a well balanced environment. Out west is beautiful but I am paranoid the Yellowstone Caldera is going to blow.

Phoenix is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. Sometime soon the prices are going to go through the roof. I'm also uncomfortable being that close to the border with the shit going on down there.

I'm also seriously concerned California is going get hit by the "big one" sometime soon. It's silly, but it's something you have to consider.

No extreme temperatures in the Northeast?! A lot of the people I work with are from New York and Chicago. The say, "You guys start complaining when it's 40! You don't know what it's like to wait for a bus with a wind that feels like it's blowing through your skin!" I also fall on my ass any time I get near ice, so I can't live there. If I lived north of North Carolina, I would fall and break my hip.

Yeah, I like Los Angeles, but the forest fires, mud slides and earthquakes, combined with the super-high cost of housing, make it seem like not such a good idea. When I tried to think of states that don't have any natural issues and stable economies, Arizona was the only one I could think of. Their Mexican gang war stuff is something to think about, too, but around here, the home invasions happen two or three times a week, so...hmm. I live in a lucky pocket (so far) where we just miss the tornadoes and the home invasions haven't begun (mandatory gun ownership law *might* be scaring them off). I also considered Austin, Texas, because it's supposed to be cool as hell, dirt cheap, and the population is exploding, but again...tornadoes!

11 o' clock news says 28 people killed nationally in tornadoes so far this year, and it's only March 2nd. In Indiana, an entire TOWN has been wiped out! Weatherman says, "This will be a very active severe weather season..." I knew that when the wind was blowing like Sleepy Hollow on January 2nd! Yep...this may be the year to start seriously California (or Arizona) dreamin'!

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpyliberalbuster32 View Post
    IMO, the safest area of the country is the Northeast. No earthquake faults, no extreme temperatures, you get to enjoy all 4 seasons, no Hurricanes, no Tornadoes, just a well balanced environment. Out west is beautiful but I am paranoid the Yellowstone Caldera is going to blow.

Phoenix is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. Sometime soon the prices are going to go through the roof. I'm also uncomfortable being that close to the border with the shit going on down there.
    I love the Northeast, especially Boston & New York.
    I can't imagine NOT having Autumn, as it's my favorite season.
    Winter is pretty around xmas time, though January generally sucks (very cold).

It's safe: No tornados, rarely a Hurricane, maybe a snowstorm or two...

I couldn't live anywhere hot like, Texas, Florida & Arizona.
    I absolutely hate the heat, feel like i'm suffocating.

We USED to have all four seasons here, until about 10 years ago. Spring was off-the-chart beautiful (tons of dogwood trees) (actually spring is still nice, when there's not a storm), summer could get a little intense but not unbearable, winters got down into the 20's and high teens, but we only got snow or ice every two or three years, and fall -- GREAT time to drive up to the mountains and look at the leaves.

That has DEFINITELY changed lately, though. A couple of years ago I went outside to rake the leaves the day before Thanksgiving. I put on my toboggan, jacket and gloves like I had always done. I didn't even notice I was sweating my nuts off. Then my neighbor came outside in a tank top, cutoff shorts and flip-flops! I checked the temperature, and it was 72! The day before Thanksgiving! Took off the toboggan and gloves and raked leaves in my T-shirt!

I've also started seeing temperatures in the 80's last right into October, even at night. I vividly remember wearing a jacket and jumping around in circles to stay warm in late September back when I was a teenager. Not now.

I've also got a Facebook friend in Minneapolis who said he couldn't believe he was going for walks without a jacket in February.

I think we've fucked the atmosphere up until the Midwest and Southeast are going to be uninhabitable. The whole nation is going to have to cram into the area around Nevada and Arizona.

No cheer******s allowed!
    It's deffinately not like it was.

As a kid, the seasons lasted one season long.
    I remember going to school in September, with cool & crisp mornings, awaiting the bus.
    Now, it's still 88 degrees in September, sometimes.

Autumn was the best, loved October & November.
    Then you had a Winter.

But now the Summer stretches into the Fall, and Winter digs into Spring.
    It's almost like two seasons, with two weeks of mini seasons.

Maybe we can inhabit Mars, and start all over again.

I haven't had one snowstorm here all winter, EXCEPT for October when I lost power for a week! Go figure.

The funny thing is on Facebook I can say "global warming," and people will swarm me to tell me it's "liberal lies." Then two posts later they're wondering why it's 62 in February, and they're in their basement listening for tornado sirens.

The local TV news had a really good explanation of this on their web site. The water in the gulf area is warmer, and for some reason that has made the trade winds that have been around for at least hundreds of years, if not thousands, move out of the gulf and into the middle of the United States. So whereas before these swirling winds might have made a whirlpool in the ocean, instead they're creating devastation on land. Something like that.

But not to be negative! A few months ago I was looking up all kinds of YouTube videos of street scenes in Los Angeles. I was even dreaming I lived there. I imagine myself riding in the convertible with Belinda Carlisle in the "Our Lips Are Sealed" video. I dunno, after living all of my life in the same zip code, maybe it would be nice to experience something different. Sigh...