Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
The Review is in From Rolling Stone Magazine...
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The menace is loose again

The Review is in From Rolling Stone Magazine...

And it's a good one! They gave it 3 1/2 stars out of 5 (That's pretty good for a hard rock album review in RS), but by the way this is written, the reviewer sounds like he'd like to rate it higher:

By Rob
    Sheffield

February 9, 2012

We've earned this, right? When David Lee Roth and Van
    Halen
    went down their own separate mean streets in the Eighties, who paid
    the price? We did. Van Halen fans everywhere have suffered through the years,
    waiting for this reunion. We don't need it to be Fair Warning or Van Halen II. We don't even need it to be
    Diver Down. We just deserve a break.

Well, as the man used to say: one break, coming up.
    Van Halen's "heard you missed us, we're back" album is not only the most
    long-awaited reunion joint in the history of reunion joints, it is – against all
    reasonable expectations – a real Van Halen album. It's sonically closer to
    1984 than to 5150, but it's closer to 1980's Women and
    Children First
    than to either – no synth glop, no ballads. Eddie always
    liked to compare the band's sound to "Godzilla waking up," but this is the real
    deal. And the old lizard sounds hungry to chomp some power lines.

A Different Kind of Truth is
    the first Van Halen album since the Nineties dregs of Balance and Van Halen III, which were just humiliating
    Styx rips. But Eddie has rediscovered his guitar and unplugged the synths, as if
    Roth's presence reminded Eddie who his band is named after. Since there's never
    been a single Van Halen fan in history who secretly wished Eddie would put down
    the guitar and play more keyboards, this is a coup. Especially because Eddie's
    solos have the fluency of his early Eighties playing – just listen to him
    stretch out on "Big River" and "Blood and Fire."

If the songs are based on 1970s demos, that was a wise move, because wherever
    these 13 tunes came from, there isn't a single Waldo on the bus. The tempos are
    atomic-punk fast, letting Alex Van Halen rock out on the drums for the first
    time since his flaming-gong days. Original bassist Michael Anthony is missed for
    his bottom end, and even more for his kicked-in-the-nads harmonies. But Wolfgang
    Van Halen, Eddie's son, acquits himself superbly – he definitely doesn't flunk
    if anyone asks, "Have you seen Junior's grades?"

As for Diamond Dave, the gods only made one of him,
    because they couldn't take the competition. Now this is a rock star,
    except no other rock star would try to get away with this many cornball
    one-liners ("It's looking like the city towed my other apartment!"). He's lost a
    high note or two, but the "stone-cold sister soccer moms" he pursues in
    "Honeybabysweetiedoll" probably like him better this way.

Toward the end, Roth reaches down between his legs, eases the seat back and
    shifts into "Stay Frosty." It's not just the show-stopper – it's a four-minute
    anthology of everything that rules about Van Halen. It begins as an acoustic
    country-blues goof, then switches into metal bombast, as Eddie's fingers and
    Roth's lips take turns showing off. "Stay Frosty" ends with the trick Van Halen
    did better than any band ever: the crashing power-chord-and-drumroll finale,
    which goes on for 30 insane seconds. It's ridiculous. It's obnoxious. It's
    awesome. This moment alone sums up why the album needed to happen. We've earned
    it. And so have they.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/al...#ixzz1lwGGe3On
    I'm takin' whiskey to the party tonight, An' I'm lookin' for somebody to squeeze...

Based on what he actually wrote it sounds like it should have gotten a 5/5.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Great review, and despite what we might think, a good review in RS still means a great deal.

It seems like a lot of critics are really enjoying this album.
    I've read so many that equate it with WACF, like this one, and the fact that it's actually
    a real VH record (not a paint by numbers, whatever, deal).
    Many are surprised by this, after years of Hagar auto pilot albums.

And, all reviews sort of imply that Roth makes EVERYTHING better!

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Great review, and despite what we might think, a good review in RS still means a great deal.

I've read so many that equate it with WACF, like this one, and the fact that it's actually

I don't know... I think Rolling Stone's influence wanes a little more every day. I guess it's alright to have a nice review (maybe a scathing, terrible review would be better?), but I don't think it will help/hinder sales, or generate more interest. I think radio, internet, and word of mouth are the real keys. I really believe that the record industry is hoping this record and tour will boost the sales. That's why they are doing all these "industry insider" type shows, to get those people behind the record. Lots of jobs involved. Radio, record companies, magazines, retailers... all kinds of ancillary businesses.

Honestly, those VIP shows always suck because no one gets very loose, and it's a "business event". No taking acid in the parking lot, or throwing up in the foyer.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

No cheer******s allowed!
    It just dawned on me that "Tattoo" is the only tune featuring keyboards.

It's like VH was playing a prank on us, by releasing that song first!

The menace is loose again

I've only read one "meh" review - All the other reviews I've seen have been positive. IMHO, they lost a little bit of traction by making Tattoo the lead single -- I believe this monster would have gone from Godzilla to a full blown fire breathing T-Rex if they had released Blood and Fire first. Or maybe they should have really gone for the juggular and realeased "Outta Space" as the first song. No matter though. Bottom line is this is a high quality record and the people have spoken - and they like what they hear.
    I'm takin' whiskey to the party tonight, An' I'm lookin' for somebody to squeeze...

Yours truly, As Is
    Good review and well written, but from the way he gushed, 3 1/2 stars is way too low. Fuckin Rolling Stone. Those pricks never change.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brianp88 View Post
    I've only read one "meh" review - All the other reviews I've seen have been positive. IMHO, they lost a little bit of traction by making Tattoo the lead single -- I believe this monster would have gone from Godzilla to a full blown fire breathing T-Rex if they had released Blood and Fire first. Or maybe they should have really gone for the juggular and realeased "Outta Space" as the first song. No matter though. Bottom line is this is a high quality record and the people have spoken - and they like what they hear.
    Was just reading all the reviews for the new record!

The Huffington post, USA Today, etc.
    Everyone rates this record very highly.

Both the Boston Globe & the Boston Herald gave it stellar reviews.
    The Herald gave it an A-.
    These are pretty jaded reviewers, btw, but they loved the album.

Some complain that Ed is a bit too low in the mix, but i do not hear that at all.
    They say it's a minor complaint, but i really feel like the mix is almost perfect.

Only a little tardy
    F*** Rolling Stone. I've never looked to them for credible or intelligent reviews, or even the up and coming.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

Band Manager
    It just dawned on me that "Tattoo" is the only tune featuring keyboards.

It's like VH was playing a prank on us, by releasing that song first!
    Yeah, I recently realized that, too. It was the only thing that seemed out of place (or maybe superfluous is a better description) in that song.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.