Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Complete Cafe Wha? audio (mostly) ! For real this time ! - Page 2
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Yours truly, As Is
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Starwood, WA or is it Gazzariville?
    Posts
    5,800
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    But he still anchors the thing with Al.

    The licks he throws in are in his DNA, i believe.
    He's Eddie's son, and Eddie liked to noodle bits here & there.
    Oh I think he's great and love all the "noodlin" he's adding to the music. This kid is just scratching the surface of his talent.

  2. #12
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    Oh I think he's great and love all the "noodlin" he's adding to the music. This kid is just scratching the surface of his talent.
    He's already more fluid then Mike.

    Mike would try & throw in licks, but he'd bend wrong notes, slide into bum notes, then pick so hard
    he'd snap the strings on the neck (1978 tour).

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    But he still anchors the thing with Al.

    The licks he throws in are in his DNA, i believe.
    He's Eddie's son, and Eddie liked to noodle bits here & there.
    To me, it's the noodling that's the mark of a good player--creative enough to make things interesting and not just playing run of the mill 1-4-5 chords cos that's the safe way to anchor the tune, and confident enough to make himself heard without being overbearing in the mix, to go for the little flourishes that add the color....

  4. #14
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    He throws in those Tool-esque Bass chord bits, as well.

    I really like his playing style!

  5. #15
    Finally?
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Panama City Beach, Florida
    Posts
    6,270
    Yup, Wolf's use of bass Chords was refreshing and gave me a tingle.

    I like what dude brings to the band, seriously...and he can hold his own next to Daddy...

  6. #16
    Groupie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Portage, Indiana, United States
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    It's funny, people over at the Links keep saying, "he plays the bass like a guitar player" implying that that's a bad thing.
    Lot's of bass players play bass like they do guitar because of the fact that many bass players were originally guitar players. It's not a bad thing. If you look at bands like Spinal Tap and Primus who are very bass heavy bands and rely on the bass for the music rather than the guitars, then those players will play the bass like the guitar. Personally I much prefer bass players who stand out and play good grooves and riffs and even play a melody when the song calls for it. Players that play like guitar players like Flea, Fieldy, Primus, Geezer, Cliff Burton, Mike Dirnt, ect. I don't really care for bass players who just stand in the back and just provide the necessary groove to fill the song. Michael Anthony is one of them. IMO, he really didn't play anything fancy or stand out much if at all except when he did his solo spots during the live shows. Probably mostly because the music was all about Eddie and his guitar playing. Wolfgang seems to give the songs a fresh new perspective and he really provides some cool grooves for the songs and makes them his own (even tho he says he'd rather be the guy in the back providing just the necessary fill for the songs). I really like Wolfgang. He isn't afraid to stand out and play some cool riffs on the bass even though the music is really all about Eddie. I think he will make a great bass player for Van Halen.

  7. #17
    Yours truly, As Is
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Starwood, WA or is it Gazzariville?
    Posts
    5,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Adams View Post
    Lot's of bass players play bass like they do guitar because of the fact that many bass players were originally guitar players. It's not a bad thing. If you look at bands like Spinal Tap and Primus who are very bass heavy bands and rely on the bass for the music rather than the guitars, then those players will play the bass like the guitar. Personally I much prefer bass players who stand out and play good grooves and riffs and even play a melody when the song calls for it. Players that play like guitar players like Flea, Fieldy, Primus, Geezer, Cliff Burton, Mike Dirnt, ect. I don't really care for bass players who just stand in the back and just provide the necessary groove to fill the song. Michael Anthony is one of them. IMO, he really didn't play anything fancy or stand out much if at all except when he did his solo spots during the live shows. Probably mostly because the music was all about Eddie and his guitar playing. Wolfgang seems to give the songs a fresh new perspective and he really provides some cool grooves for the songs and makes them his own (even tho he says he'd rather be the guy in the back providing just the necessary fill for the songs). I really like Wolfgang. He isn't afraid to stand out and play some cool riffs on the bass even though the music is really all about Eddie. I think he will make a great bass player for Van Halen.
    Agree completely. I really like all the moves he throws in during Ed's solos instead of just hangin onto the steady thump thump the way Mike did a lot. He is really going to add another dimension to VH's sound, and at only 20, he's just gonna keep getting better. The best is you can see Ed always lookin over at him and just really diggin what his son is playing! I think he's inspiring the old man!

  8. #18
    Keep Rocking!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Flyover country USA
    Posts
    953
    Thanks for sharing ICM! This has the sound and feel of some old boot(leg)s that have kicked around over the years. I caught a version of She's The Woman on YouTube someone had shared and was pretty impressed by Wolfgang. Especially after watching an older video from a few years back where he looked like he was frickin 12 on stage with his old man. Can't wait to catch one of their shows.
    Why don't you have some cake? - Rev. Moore, Footloose

  9. #19
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    Even if you don't like "Tattoo," there is no denying the sheer power of this cafe wha? performance.
    I was listening again tonight, and that opening to "You really got me" is like vintage VH!
    Ed is so fluid & inspired sounding, Dave is a hoot!

    Wolfgang & Al are plain dangerous.
    Man they anchor this stuff like nothing i've heard before.
    I love this performance!

    Thanks ICM.

  10. #20
    I know the law, friend.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a Simple Rhyme
    Posts
    3,338
    Thanks for posting this link. I really appreciate it.
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-



 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Full cafe wha? Audio from jim florentine!
    By Ice Cream Man in forum Main Classic Van Halen Discussion Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: January 18th, 2012, 12:11 AM
  2. The infamous 1982 Largo guitar solo,complete.Fantastic quality
    By KRAMERBOY in forum Van Halen YouTube Videos
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: August 13th, 2011, 09:09 AM
  3. Project complete
    By NightRider in forum The Guitar Shop
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: July 20th, 2009, 06:16 PM
  4. Long time lurker, first time registered
    By DirtyFacedKid in forum Fan Introduction
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: July 24th, 2008, 05:35 PM
  5. REAL RAPE ON REAL WORLD
    By Prettywoman5150 in forum Non-VH Related Stuff
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 30th, 2003, 05:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •