Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 255
  1. #211
    Git some!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Somewhere...
    Posts
    8,459
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    Sam was more open to stuff that Dave wouldn't do. They could record more with Sam.
    Hmmmmmm, isn't it strange then that it took them much longer to record albums with Sam instead of Dave.
    The tension between Dave and the rest of the band pushed them to new heights. In the GW Eddie book, it goes from him saying how pain staking it was to record FW, to how for the recording of OU812 they'd sit around watching TV or playing basketball all day instead of recording. They got too damn comfortable. The tension prior to that was expressed in the music, and it was damn good.
    I agree. They got really lazy and the music just shows. Eddie wasn't pushed to do anything, he was way too comfortable in his own little box. The tension helped create some memorable riffs. I mean, his riffs were so... angry in the early days. With Hagar it ventures into pop territory.
    Ready, Eddie!

  2. #212
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,129
    I actually had decently high hopes for Cherone (spell?) in VH.
    Extreme were capable of some good tunes, and Gary with Extreme was more of a bluesy and funky singer than Sammy was.
    I figured that VH and Cherone was going to be a better fit, and closer to the essence of what Van Halen was - than Sam and Van Halen.
    Cherone should never have cut his hair real short when he joined VH! LOL!
    A fatal move!

    I would have preferred that Van Halen had just found themselves a first rate front man after the Roth split.
    Not a Roth clone, but just a good cranking manly front man who could do justice to the songs.

  3. #213
    Yours truly, As Is
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Starwood, WA or is it Gazzariville?
    Posts
    5,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Incomudro View Post
    I actually had decently high hopes for Cherone (spell?) in VH.
    Extreme were capable of some good tunes, and Gary with Extreme was more of a bluesy and funky singer than Sammy was.
    I figured that VH and Cherone was going to be a better fit, and closer to the essence of what Van Halen was - than Sam and Van Halen.
    Cherone should never have cut his hair real short when he joined VH! LOL!
    A fatal move!

    I would have preferred that Van Halen had just found themselves a first rate front man after the Roth split.
    Not a Roth clone, but just a good cranking manly front man who could do justice to the songs.
    After the 96 MTV Awards debacle, no matter what Cherone and the band put out, it was a no win situation. But he performed well and put an all out effort on that tour, especially the Dave era songs. The show I saw at the Gorge in Washington State, by the end, the crowd was chanting, "Gary, Gary!" I remember enjoying that tour more than any Sam tour. I would have liked for that lineup to do atleast one more album together. Atleast Gary never "phoned in" any of the Dave songs like Sammy. He did them justice.

  4. #214
    Yours truly, As Is
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Starwood, WA or is it Gazzariville?
    Posts
    5,800
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    They turned on Spammy quick.

    It was a freaking lovefest for all of 5150, i mean, thats all you saw, heard & read about.
    By OU812, Ed was starting to lose the fondness he had had.
    I saw that tour, and Ed was kinda less inspired, it seemed.
    By FUCK, he seemed indifferent.
    By Balance he was like, "We need to fire this clown."
    I remember that the Inside Magazine pretty much hinted that this was why they took an extra year off in between OU812 and F.U.C.K. The bloom was off the rose.

  5. #215
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    I think, had VH been allowed to record a second record with Gary, it would have been much better.
    Gary was at the mercy of the material, and III should have simply been an EVH solo album.
    Cherone performed so well with Extreme, and he was always such an energetic frontman.
    I think the record after III, would have been more "back to basics" and rocking.
    Poor Gary was left to warble over "Josephina" and "Once."
    I think there was potential between both camps, but Eddie gave Cherone weak material.

  6. #216
    Git some!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Somewhere...
    Posts
    8,459
    Quote Originally Posted by IronicA View Post
    The thing that turns my stomach is that 5150 didn't fall on it's arse (critically or commercially).
    Had it have failed, I think that Dave would've been back in a heartbeat.

    Dave went off, did his thing. It fell on deaf ears, to some extent.
    He got it out of his system.
    I think he would have realised, pretty soon after EEAS, which side his bread was buttered on.
    I'm not so sure, if 5150 fell through I don't think they would have gone back to Dave. I think they would have putzed around, surely second-guessing themselves. It would be like the boyfriend that regretted breaking up with their girlfriend after finding out the other person wasn't exactly what they wanted. "Baby, I need you back. I was wrong. I made a mistake."

    With all the slagging they gave Dave in the interviews in those days, they kind of severed the tie and burned the proverbial bridge. To get him back in the band would require some major "apologizing" to some extent.

    So, with that being said, if 5150 didn't work for them and there was no way to get back with Dave... where the hell would they go? Now that's "What If" question I say.
    Ready, Eddie!

  7. #217
    Yours truly, As Is
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Starwood, WA or is it Gazzariville?
    Posts
    5,800
    Quote Originally Posted by EVH_Erupted View Post
    I'm not so sure, if 5150 fell through I don't think they would have gone back to Dave. I think they would have putzed around, surely second-guessing themselves. It would be like the boyfriend that regretted breaking up with their girlfriend after finding out the other person wasn't exactly what they wanted. "Baby, I need you back. I was wrong. I made a mistake."

    With all the slagging they gave Dave in the interviews in those days, they kind of severed the tie and burned the proverbial bridge. To get him back in the band would require some major "apologizing" to some extent.

    So, with that being said, if 5150 didn't work for them and there was no way to get back with Dave... where the hell would they go? Now that's "What If" question I say.
    Good point. Maybe they would have done that album with a different guest singer on each track that they had very briefly toyed with prior to Sam.

  8. #218
    Git some!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Somewhere...
    Posts
    8,459
    Like, someone similar to David Coverdale perhaps? I think he was one of the few to "audition" for the position.
    Ready, Eddie!

  9. #219
    Yours truly, As Is
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Starwood, WA or is it Gazzariville?
    Posts
    5,800
    EEAS also would have had to have failed as well. That album did go multiplatinum and Dave did have successful tour. If 5150 failed, Dave would have said, "See, I told ya so!"

  10. #220
    Bad Ass Motherfucker
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    S.Florida
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    EEAS also would have had to have failed as well. That album did go multiplatinum and Dave did have successful tour. If 5150 failed, Dave would have said, "See, I told ya so!"
    He would have, and it would have been so good.. Dave always left the door open, and VH (Ed), could have came back in and hagar would have been a very unpleasant memory. Like he is now.
    Achilleslastand - You come off as attempting to sound funny in every worthless post of yours...If i was you id be seeking a refund from the dane cook school of comedy as its clear to me you got ripped off....

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. 2012 Tour Setlist
    By Jungle Drummer in forum 2015 Tour
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: February 16th, 2012, 03:48 PM
  2. 2012 Rock n Roll Hall of Fame inductees
    By JONEZY in forum House of Music
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: December 12th, 2011, 06:39 PM
  3. Oh, Swell: New VH...In FEBRUARY 2012?
    By John Rebus in forum Main Classic Van Halen Discussion Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: October 24th, 2011, 12:52 PM
  4. 2011/2012 Van Halen concert tour.
    By punkatomic in forum 2015 Tour
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: October 2nd, 2011, 07:15 PM
  5. Up The Irons!!! 2012 Olympics
    By IronicA in forum House of Music
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: March 18th, 2010, 10:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •