Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
2012: The Year of VH?? - Page 21
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    But that is our perception & opinion.

Maybe THEY think the Van Hagar era, represents what VH is all about, to them.
    This is a big reason why I feel that CVH is really Roth's vision. We have argued it to death, and need not do it here. But folks can go through the archives (if they care).
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

David Lee Roth Bodyguard
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    This is a big reason why I feel that CVH is really Roth's vision. We have argued it to death, and need not do it here. But folks can go through the archives (if they care).
    I get what you mean when you say ''vision''. That's one way to say it.

Ed has said that it all starts with him, which is absolutely correct -- BUT -- Roth knew exactly how to finish it.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by IronicA View Post
    Oh dragon dildos.
    I did not know that.
    I was convinced, somehow, that they dropped the Van Hagar on that tour.

My brain isn't much of a source to tap for the Hagar years. Even less for the brief Cherone era.
    This is exactly why I don't post at the Links.

Thanks for fixing my post, though, VAiN.
    Actually IronicA, you made a great point. The VHIII tour only typically contained 4 Sam era songs in the setlist, along with usually 5 VHIII tracks and NINE Dave era tracks. I believe the only Sam songs they did on that tour were, WCTBL, WIL, Right Now, and Humans Being.

A lot of what the bros said was to spite Dave, I believe, and to pump up what they were doing at the time. I know Alex has stated he was a big fan of the material on VHII. I dont agree that it is a foregone conclusion that they to this day believe the Sam era to be the best.

Band Manager
    I believe that when they were in the moment, they thought the Sam era was best.
    I believe that they were very impressed with Sams range and the opportunity that it presented - songs like Dreams for instance.
    Couple that with the way they hit it off with Sam in the beginning.
    They had grown to hate Dave, and the whole process of the split must have been awful for both sides.
    When the VH boys started working with Sammy it was all bliss.

What a fan like me (and so many others) felt was that rock and roll isn't all about ability.
    I happen to love virtuoso singers like; Geoff Tate, Halford, Joe Lynne Turner, Dio, Steve Perry, Steve Walsh etc., but sometimes there is more to a band than talent.
    To me, VH without Roth was like The Stones without Jagger.
    I don't even like The Stones, but it was that type of thing.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by Incomudro View Post
    I believe that when they were in the moment, they thought the Sam era was best.
    I believe that they were very impressed with Sams range and the opportunity that it presented - songs like Dreams for instance.
    Couple that with the way they hit it off with Sam in the beginning.
    They had grown to hate Dave, and the whole process of the split must have been awful for both sides.
    When the VH boys started working with Sammy it was all bliss.

What a fan like me (and so many others) felt was that rock and roll isn't all about ability.
    I happen to love virtuoso singers like; Geoff Tate, Halford, Joe Lynne Turner, Dio, Steve Perry, Steve Walsh etc., but sometimes there is more to a band than talent.
    To me, VH without Roth was like The Stones without Jagger.
    I don't even like The Stones, but it was that type of thing.
    Just as they grew to hate Dave, they grew to hate working with Sam, which is why I dont think we can all just assume that they think the Sam era is superior.

I still say Dave is the greatest rock singer ever, even if he's not the most technically gifted "singer". Bon Scott is #2 and he wasnt so "gifted" either.

Bad Ass Motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by IronicA View Post
    Oh dragon dildos.
    I did not know that.
    I was convinced, somehow, that they dropped the Van Hagar on that tour.

My brain isn't much of a source to tap for the Hagar years. Even less for the brief Cherone era.
    This is exactly why I don't post at the Links.

Thanks for fixing my post, though, VAiN.
    I saw VHIII twice on that tour and was impressed with how many CVH tunes were in the set. I got I'm the One, Meanstreet, Unchained, Dance the Night Away, Somebody get me a Doctor and probably a couple more that I can't remember right now. And for that, I thank them. Sam can eat a dick, but I'm pretty neutral on Gary.. Ed blew up the 96 effort, Gary took a dream job and it didn't work out. At least he was respectful of the entire catalog.
    Achilleslastand - You come off as attempting to sound funny in every worthless post of yours...If i was you id be seeking a refund from the dane cook school of comedy as its clear to me you got ripped off....

Bad Ass Motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    Just as they grew to hate Dave, they grew to hate working with Sam, which is why I dont think we can all just assume that they think the Sam era is superior.

I still say Dave is the greatest rock singer ever, even if he's not the most technically gifted "singer". Bon Scott is #2 and he wasnt so "gifted" either.
    Agree 100%
    Achilleslastand - You come off as attempting to sound funny in every worthless post of yours...If i was you id be seeking a refund from the dane cook school of comedy as its clear to me you got ripped off....

Yooo I've been listening to Scott-era AC/DC like mad recently. So primitive, but so fucking awesome.

No cheer******s allowed!

They turned on Spammy quick.

It was a freaking lovefest for all of 5150, i mean, thats all you saw, heard & read about.
    By OU812, Ed was starting to lose the fondness he had had.
    I saw that tour, and Ed was kinda less inspired, it seemed.
    By FUCK, he seemed indifferent.
    By Balance he was like, "We need to fire this clown."

Like Mike
    Sam was more open to stuff that Dave wouldn't do. They could record more with Sam.
    Hmmmmmm, isn't it strange then that it took them much longer to record albums with Sam instead of Dave.
    The tension between Dave and the rest of the band pushed them to new heights. In the GW Eddie book, it goes from him saying how pain staking it was to record FW, to how for the recording of OU812 they'd sit around watching TV or playing basketball all day instead of recording. They got too damn comfortable. The tension prior to that was expressed in the music, and it was damn good.