Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Floating tremolo
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
    Groupie

Floating tremolo

I recently bought an Ibanez GRG270B with a floating tremolo system and I'm having a really hard time tuning this thing.
    When I wanted to try my new Cry Baby, I decided to tune my guitar first but I just can't get it in tune.
    Is there an easy way to do this?
    I found an article that said it could have something to do with the strings I'm using.
    Does anyone know which strings I should use??
    Last edited by EricR; December 8th, 2011 at 07:59 AM.

Chief Fluffer Inspector
    I would take it to the guitar shop & have the setup checked out. They may be very helpful. Or you can try sending a pm to Jimi, A.J., Mallon, or Doug Steele. Those 4 guys know their shit, depending on the guitar, & I wouldn't look any further than them, aside from my brother-in-law, who manages a shop in NY.
    Last edited by KTC5150; December 8th, 2011 at 02:57 PM.
    THE WORLD AWAITS... RELEASE THE KRACKEN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    I recently bought an Ibanez GRG270B with a floating tremolo system and I'm having a really hard time tuning this thing.
    When I wanted to try my new Cry Baby, I decided to tune my guitar first but I just can't get it in tune.
    I found an article that said it could have something to do with the strings I'm using.
    Hey ericR,

I don't know if this will help but this YouTube video covers the basics tuning a floating trem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uPvABrN7sA

Just remember to stretch the strings several times after changing them by pulling them up & away from the fretboard.

Also, when you're tuning the guitar, keep an eye on the tremolo base. It should remain parallel with the body if it's floating. If it's tilted up (not enough trem claw) or tilted down (too much trem claw) you'll have to adjust the tremolo spring claw screws under the cover if there is one.

Also, 9-42's are usually the standard string gauge for tremolo equipped guitars. This URL confirm the gauge for your model Ibanez:
    http://forum.ibanez.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=80370

Good-luck!

Doug from Oz
    9-42 if you're in standard.

you got skype? it's easier for me to just tell you this shit: johnsanders1215

Band Technician
    Hey

I'm sure there's a ton of useful vids on youtube and people on this board that'll help you out, but for starters you can always try and check Dan Erlewine's repair guide for tips. I've uploaded it to multiupload:

http://www.multiupload.com/2K75G640QO

Cheers

Groupie
    Thanks guys!
    I don't have Skype but thanks for the offer.
    I've ordered the right strings and I'll try it again when they arrive.
    If that doesn't work I'll probably just take it to a guitar store.

Thanks guys!
    I don't have Skype but thanks for the offer.
    I've ordered the right strings and I'll try it again when they arrive.
    If that doesn't work I'll probably just take it to a guitar store.
    Just make sure you stretch the strings several times while your tuning. There's a constant check in a floating setup between the trem base being parallel and the amount of screw tension on the spring claw dyring tuning. Also, while you're changing your strings, it's a good time to make sure your all of your screws are tight at the nut and tremolo. Same with the tuning pegs. Good-luck!