Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Sammy Hagar Claims New Van Halen Record Is 'All Old Stuff' - Page 3
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by EVH_Erupted View Post
    This is kinda ironic, I just watched this vid a few days ago.

I don't think I've seen Dave so articulate before... at least as much as he can be. There's no Daveisms here, just straight talk.

As for the article, it's pretty much the same crap that he's been saying for months only it's regurgitated and pointed towards the recent signing Interscope records. He's just dying for attention. Especially from Dave and the brothers.
    I believe him. I think that when he left the band it was a tearful separation, and that he was taken by surprise when the rest of the band attacked him in the press. It looks like he assumed that they would understand that both camps would be better off just calling it an "amicable split" and keep all the fans united behind BOTH bands. But the Van Halen's don't think ahead the way Roth does. He underestimated their resentment towards him (likely JUSTIFIED resentment).
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by punkatomic View Post
    Do you notice that Sammy is TRYING to work from the same templete? In Sammyís world, itís Sammy vs Van Halen. As it was David Lee Roth vs Van Halen. in 1986. Dave had Stevie and Billy. Sammy has Joe and Mike. Well, maybe not the same, but you understand.
    Sammy is the good guy. Eddie, Dave and Alex are the bad guys. Sammy saved Van Halen from themselves. Itís their fault.

The difference this time around, Van Halen isnít saying a word. Sammy WANTS Van Halen to acknowledge his presense. He wants that Pro Wrestling vibe. He yearns for that he said, they said shit. IMO, Van Halen has learned that no good is going to come from acknowledging or responding to Sammyís whoring.

Lets hope they keep ignoring the little red cock bite.

You know that must must be driving Sammy crazy!
    I completely agree, and have thought this for some time now.

It's almost like Sammy wants some sort of validation, like for them to acknowledge him.
    The fact that they won't, it's just making him open his mouth even more:
    "Oh, these are all just recycled old songs..."
    "Oh, Eddie was living on a stained mattress & microwaving hotdogs, he was so out of it..."
    "Mike is the greatest bass player in the world..."
    "Dave was like the clown, but when i arrived, they had a real singer..."
    "The new album will never come out..."

Then he tries to make himself appear less bitter & adds, "But, even though it won't
    come out, i hope it will be great."

Sure ya do, Sam...

Anyone who can't see through this guy, is living on Mars.
    I don't care how rich he is, he knows that without Eddie, he is irrelevant, musically.
    Who actually buys Sammy Hagar albums in 2011?
    Who actually thinks Chickenfoot is a great rock 'n roll band?

No cheer******s allowed!
    I love Dave, but those excerpts from "Yankee Rose" in the interview, are like two steps from Poison territory.
    God, what an awful time, post classic Van Halen.
    Both halves were just so far removed from the original spirit & smarts of what made VH great to begin with.

Git some!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    I believe him. I think that when he left the band it was a tearful separation, and that he was taken by surprise when the rest of the band attacked him in the press. It looks like he assumed that they would understand that both camps would be better off just calling it an "amicable split" and keep all the fans united behind BOTH bands. But the Van Halen's don't think ahead the way Roth does. He underestimated their resentment towards him (likely JUSTIFIED resentment).
    ...And the tables are now reversed.

It's funny, Sam is the one doing the interviews but VH is the one getting all the attention.
    Ready, Eddie!

Dance Baby!
    I am glad to hear from Hag's, because I think he offers insight into how the band works. I just don't listen to his music. Yes, what he says is skewed to make himself look good, and he is milking the situation for publicity, but that doesn't mean that what he says about EVH isn't true. Most of it corroborates with what DLR said for years.
    When Hag's said that "if I say it's black, Ed will say it's white. Whatever I said Ed would say it's the opposite", it just confirmed to me how EVH would rather fuck things up than let DLR think he is getting what he wants.

Get this movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168080/ it's the story of Van Halen. VH's story is a timeless parable, acted out by so many successful groups.
    I'm not saying what he says about Eddie isn't true. It's the airing of Eddie's dirty laundry for Sammy's own wallet that I find telling. It wasn't like Eddie did an interview recently ripping Sammy. Unprovoked, Sammy goes out of his way to profit and expose Eddie's vices and privacy.

Dave made jokes about Eddie and Alex. Sammy made some serious coin and the NY times bestseller list.

Didn't Eddie say something to the effect. "At least Dave doesn't lie!" I don't know.
    Daniel (1994-2013)

Like Mike
    He didn't really do much ripping in the interview. I don't see the big deal. What, he said they're all old songs... They probably are. He said that it's tough to write a song with Ed... How do we know he's wrong there? If Ed has 50 albums worth of material, then why hasn't he released any?

Anyway, all over the web this interview is being posted with positive headlines like "Sammy will be the first to buy new Van Halen album", etc. So even if people here are pissed off by the interview by whatever reason, the rest of the world ain't.

Like Mike
    I find that hard to believe. I think it was a bit of wrongness by both parties that lead to the split. Probably not mutual. Well, that's just me anyway.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    I find that hard to believe. I think it was a bit of wrongness by both parties that lead to the split. Probably not mutual. Well, that's just me anyway.
    Maybe I didn't make it clear. When I said it was justified, I was talking about the band's resentment of DLR. I think he bullied the band, and was real difficult to deal with. But when he left the band it seems obvious that he didn't expect them to rip into him the way they did. I think Roth played as big a role in the split of the band as EVH, but also that it was pretty much inevitable. What wasn't inevitable was the mudslinging that happened afterwards, most of which I lay at the band's feet, not Roth's.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

No cheer******s allowed!
    I, personally, never bought the whole "Roth was an innocent" in all of this (both in '85 & '96).

Ed get's handled the blame for everything, but during both those periods, i think Roth was acting like
    a primadonna ("This night is about ME!")
    I believe when he bailed on VH post '84, it was because he saw success with MTV & his e.p.
    "Who needs these guys? Let's make a movie!"

I think Eddie was hurt by that, and rightfully so.
    You get wounded, you lash out.
    Human nature.

But now Sammy is wounded, and taking it all to an absurd & endless level.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I, personally, never bought the whole "Roth was an innocent" in all of this (both in '85 & '96).

Ed get's handled the blame for everything, but during both those periods, i think Roth was acting like
    a primadonna ("This night is about ME!")
    I believe when he bailed on VH post '84, it was because he saw success with MTV & his e.p.
    "Who needs these guys? Let's make a movie!"

I think Eddie was hurt by that, and rightfully so.
    You get wounded, you lash out.
    Human nature.

But now Sammy is wounded, and taking it all to an absurd & endless level.
    I agree, but from Roth's reaction, he seems surprised at the way they lashed out at him.

I agree that was probably justified. And as we have discussed before, the split seems like it was inevitable. I'm sure he saw solo success in his future, but was also tired of dealing with a drunk'n coked EVH, who was doing his best to be uncooperative and alienate Roth, probably because he was tired of being pushed around by Roth, who was tired of Ed, who was tired of Mike, who was tired of Roth, who was balling Alex's wife, who was tired of Alex, who was.....

But as Hag's stated (do you think Hag's is misleading about this?) "Roth ran the damn show", for the period that we all enjoy most!

Additionally, Sam ran the show for the period I don't like (his team of managers and road crew etc, kept the VH rock, rolling), and EVH ran the show for a terrible album with a yes-man singer, and a decade of non-production. Ed plays guitar real good, but obviously needs other people to give him direction and get things going.

I prefer when Roth runs the damn show. The music is better, the show is better, the band is more interesting.....and on, and on. As far as I'm concerned, EVH is Roth's guitar player.
    Last edited by 1234over; November 23rd, 2011 at 02:48 AM.