Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

2012 Tour Setlist - Page 2
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by i1sum2! View Post
    You guys act like this is still the 1984 Van Halen. It isn't, not by a long shot. They won't be doing any harder rockin' songs period. It's not in them anymore. It's laughable to think they could pull off any of these mentioned.

Have some cake to go with your wishful thinkin' boys:
    I don't know dude, they sounded pretty fucking good on these clips.

Bad Ass Motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpyliberalbuster32 View Post

Funny, I just re-watched the Baltimore show this weekend and was impressed with how good it was...
    Achilleslastand - You come off as attempting to sound funny in every worthless post of yours...If i was you id be seeking a refund from the dane cook school of comedy as its clear to me you got ripped off....

EVH diehard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    Funny, I just re-watched the Baltimore show this weekend and was impressed with how good it was...
    right on !!

VH had a lot of great moments on that tour , IMO

it wasn't CVH in '81 or '84 , but they pulled it off .

the new album/tour will be under obvious scrutiny , but might just surprise some people !!
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Yours truly, As Is
    I dont care what anybody says, as long as Ed was sober, they kicked ass on the 07-08 tour. They did plenty of hard rocking classics then(HFT,Romeo Delight, EWS, Atomic Punk anyone???) and they could certainly pull em off again. Is it FW Tour era VH? No, of course not. Are they still pretty damn good and fun to watch and listen to? Of course they are!

I will take "older" VH over anybody else out there any day.

Like Mike
    Maybe they do, but they still don't come close to the classic era.
    Just like the Led Zeppelin Reunion in '07 didn't come close to the classic era.
    Just like Metallica don't come close to the classic era.
    etc.

Hell, seems like the only band that can still pull it off like they could is ZZ Top.

THEE bassist for VH
    Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    So, where do you draw the line? What songs can they still do in your opinion?
    I just think they'll stick with the tried and true setlist they did on the last tour, with a few new additions. How well do we know that Ed can play now? It sure doesn't seem like he spends much time playing away from the public eye, and, given his age, why would he? I also don't see young Wolfgang "woodshedding" to get better at bass either. He's too busy planking and X-BOX'n, tweeting etc. to be bothered with it. I think it would be in their best interests to play the majority of a new album live, and not fall back on trotting out the classics such as Jump, HFT, and YRGM again. I wish that EVH would STOP playing the same goddamn solo he's always played for the last thirty frickin' yrs. and change things up too.

They do sound decent here, not gonna deny that, but they still aren't in 1984 fighting form. Those clips must be from the final leg of the tour as a guess.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Wolfgang seems like one of those kids that thinks he's hilarious, but really isn't.
    "Look at me plankin'! HAHA!"
    Ahhhh, don't be so obvious, dude...
    I just don't see that kid really sitting down with the Bass.
    I picture him distracted by his phone or his xbox, like every young adult.

Those clips might sound somewhat tight, but it really isn't that classic VH i went gaga over.
    The guitar just doesn't have that tone i remember.
    Dave's vocals are more subdued & karaoke.
    Alex is still Alex, though.

It's like they can play the songs, but the vibe is all off.
    I want that old looseness & magic.

And to the guy that said they should do "On fire"...
    ARE YOU SERIOUS, DUDE?
    Do you honestly think Roth is gonna be able to pull that one, off in 2012?

THEE bassist for VH
    I've been thinking lately that, what if someone like say a close peer mentioned to him and said "No Ed, your guitar didn't sound like that back then and proceeded to make it sound correct?" The brown sound, in other words, and how would he react, being hearing impaired now, or called out on that? Matt Bruck certainly doesn't have the balls to tell him any different, that has been proven.

Would he accept that and go with it? Or not? I try to think of that coming from my own hearing impaired status. It might sound totally foreign to him now. I dunno.

The "looseness" as you say, if they could conjure up that again, wow! Wolfgang is out doing what every other twenty something yr. old does though, and he ain't into it. His interests are getting laid and eating a Big Mac later.
    Last edited by i1sum2!; October 18th, 2011 at 04:21 PM.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by i1sum2! View Post
    I've been thinking lately that, what if someone like say a close peer mentioned to him and said "No Ed, your guitar didn't sound like that back then and proceeded to make it sound correct?" The brown sound, in other words, and how would he react, being hearing impaired now, or called out on that? Matt Bruck certainly doesn't have the balls to tell him any different, that has been proven.

Would he accept that and go with it? Or not? I try to think of that coming from my own hearing impaired status. It might sound totally foreign to him now. I dunno.

The "looseness" as you say, if they could conjure up that again, wow! Wolfgang is out doing what every other twenty something yr. old does though, and he ain't into it. His interests are getting laid and eating a Big Mac later.
    I'm sure everyone in Ed's circle is afraid to cross him or piss him off.
    We all know that the brown sound hasn't been heard, for a very long time.
    Either Ed "matured" and chased a different tone, or his ears are getting progressively worse with age, and he's hearing something completely different from those speakers, than we are.

I just hear a lot of super high frequencies happening, almost like he can't hear them correctly & overly compensates.

I wish one of his peers, like a Brian May or Tony Iommi, would set him straight.
    Then again, i'm sure those guys have significant hearing damage as well.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I'm sure everyone in Ed's circle is afraid to cross him or piss him off.
    We all know that the brown sound hasn't been heard, for a very long time.
    Either Ed "matured" and chased a different tone, or his ears are getting progressively worse with age, and he's hearing something completely different from those speakers, than we are.

I just hear a lot of super high frequencies happening, almost like he can't hear them correctly & overly compensates.

I wish one of his peers, like a Brian May or Tony Iommi, would set him straight.
    Then again, i'm sure those guys have significant hearing damage as well.
    Paul Gilbert famously stated in an interview a few years ago that he suffered some permanent hearing loss after just ONE visit to 5150 with how loud Ed plays his music. Most people lose the ability to hear the high frequencies when they experience hearing loss. Atleast that is what has happened to my Pop and all my uncles.