Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Diver Down vs. 1984 - Page 3
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.

View Poll Results: Diver Down vs. 1984

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • #6 Diver Down

8 47.06%
  • #3 1984

9 52.94%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    THEE bassist for VH
    Quote Originally Posted by VH Freak View Post
    1984 without a doubt. DD had too many covers. Yeah...1984 sounded a little different but it still kicked ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallonmusic View Post
    I'm with you man! And i don't care what anyone says i love Jump! It takes me back to the Summer of 84 when i was ten years old every time

Quote Originally Posted by wimpyliberalbuster32 View Post
    I have no doubt before this thread is over, 1984 will wind up winning, just because of the sheer enormity of the hits. Everyone knows Jump, Panama, Hot for Teacher. But honestly, I enjoy listening to Diver Down from start to finish more than any other VH album, except for the first one.

Little Guitars and Secrets are two of the best Van Halen songs ever recorded, Hang 'Em High and Full Bug are two songs that just scream Classic Van Halen (MA with the solid bassline, EVH shredding all over the place, Dave squealing and acting humorous, and Alex's drums are just incredible).

As for the cover tunes, have you ever heard the Kinks version of WHATGTG? it sounds like a completely different song. As far as I'm concerned, it may as well be considered a VH original the way they arranged it. I'm not sure why people are hatin' on Pretty Woman, I though VH did that song awesome. Ed keeps it simple, yet so kick ass on that tune. Dancing in the Streets is different, yes, but seriously, who DOESN'T want to sing along when Ed and Mike chime in with the background vocals? Seriously.

And the highlight of the album, Cathedral. I swear, it gives me chills every time I hear it.

I'll defend Diver Down to the end. Cover tunes don't automatically make an album bad.
    100% agree

I know the law, friend.
    Wow a dead heat with only a few hours of voting left!!!

THEE bassist for VH
    It's not a dead heat anymore partner!

Band Manager
    Little guitars is one of my favourite VH's songs.... 1984 is a solid album so i vote for 1984!
    http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=qrGlhsJPxJ8
    When I was young i played some music.Purple Haze1987

http://vhfrance.activebb.net/portal.htm
    (seul site franηais sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFrance (channel)

No cheer******s allowed!
    1984 is for the classic fans that also find merit in 5150.

How can anyone, that really understands (i didn't say "Gets") classiv VH, choose 1984 over Diverdown?

Why would anyone choose 1984/Jump over Goodtimes gone/Hang 'em High?

When i first heard "Jump" on MTV, as the new single, i thought, "Uh oh, the ride's over."

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post

How can anyone, that really understands (i didn't say "Gets") classiv VH, choose 1984 over Diverdown?

When i first heard "Jump" on MTV, as the new single, i thought, "Uh oh, the ride's over."

Your talking about me arnt ya pal!!!!! Ha ha! All i gotta say on the side of 1984 is HFT and Panama

I know the law, friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post

I'm not sure how you call 5 covers and 3 instrumentals "classic Van Halen". Really? You wanna do a song for song throwdown?? I think that you just hate 1984 because it was popular. Well guess what, when you write great songs, sometimes they get recognized by the world.......and that's what happened on 1984. You may like Diver Down better, and that's fine, but I don't know how you can listen to that album and think it's un-Van Halen. That thought stuns me. Isn't 5 cover songs the very definition of un-Van Halen?

1."Where Have All the Good Times Gone!" (Ray Davies) – 3:02
    2."Hang 'Em High" – 3:28
    3."Cathedral" (Instrumental) – 1:20
    4."Secrets" – 3:25
    5."Intruder" (Instrumental) – 1:39
    6."(Oh) Pretty Woman" (William Dees, Roy Orbison) – 2:53
    7."Dancing in the Street" (Marvin Gaye, Ivy Hunter, William Stevenson) – 3:43
    8."Little Guitars (Intro)" (Instrumental) – 0:42
    9."Little Guitars" – 3:47
    10."Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now)" (Milton Ager, Jack Yellen) – 2:44
    11."The Full Bug" – 3:18
    12."Happy Trails" (Dale Evans) – 1:03

1."1984" – 1:07
    2."Jump" – 4:04
    3."Panama" – 3:32
    4."Top Jimmy" – 2:59
    5."Drop Dead Legs" – 4:14
    6."Hot for Teacher" – 4:42
    7."I'll Wait" – 4:41
    8."Girl Gone Bad" – 4:35
    9."House of Pain" – 3:19

I know the law, friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by i1sum2! View Post
    It's not a dead heat anymore partner!
    I'm lovin' the Eddie Gunslinger pics!

Quote Originally Posted by cowboydan View Post
    I'm not sure how you call 5 covers and 3 instrumentals "classic Van Halen". Really? You wanna do a song for song throwdown?? I think that you just hate 1984 because it was popular. Well guess what, when you write great songs, sometimes they get recognized by the world.......and that's what happened on 1984. You may like Diver Down better, and that's fine, but I don't know how you can listen to that album and think it's un-Van Halen. That thought stuns me. Isn't 5 cover songs the very definition of un-Van Halen?

I couldnt agree with ya more man! I'm soooo sick of hearing about the MTV thing or how commercial it sounded or being radio friendly. I'll admit theres a couple of duds on 1984 but to me its as CVH as it gets? VH from day one was a band that was meant to be a big "radio" band or mainstream, or whatever. And when your a band like that your goal is to sell records and be as big as you can be. WB wouldnt sign a band that was to cool to care and was just to appeal to some Hipsters and play small clubs. As a guitar picker myself i get so sick of this "sellout" BS! If your still yourself and you make it big, you make it big aint that the point? A sellout is what Metallica did with all those load of crap albums. But more on that later. And DD thats an album that even the band didnt want to do!

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboydan View Post

None of that matters. It's the SOUND that makes classic Van Halen. When Templeman was at the helm, and they weren't in 5150 Studio they could play any shitty cover and it would have the classic sound. "1984" isn't the classic sound of VH. UG hit it when he said it's the album for the people that like "5150" (probably younger fans).
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.