Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Gay Day at work
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay Day at work

Gay Day at work

Here's a new thing under the sun: at work, we're having Gay Day. Okay, that's not the official name. It's "Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgendered Celebration Day." They're going to have seminars in the conference room about sexual identity and the meaning of the gay rainbow flag. Wearing gay colors is also encouraged (I'm checking the color chart before I dress that day to make sure I stay off the chart! Guess it'll be a basic black day).

Most of the people I work with are black and have very strong feelings about this, and they aren't pro. There are several very "out" people working there, too, and everyone, including me, gets along with them just fine, but ramming it down our throats like this, so to speak, is a bit much.

A great irony is that if I said to a co-worker, "Hey, don't you think ______ has great tits?," I could be in a world of trouble, yet now we're going to have company-mandated seminars on what kind of genitals everyone likes to nuzzle.

I'm really going to be curious to see how this goes. Will the known gays be all excited and eagerly participate in the gay discussions, or will they be embarrassed and self-conscious about the attention?

It's times like this I wish Steve Carrell was my boss in real life.

Dance Baby!
    I really don't know what to say?

Don't want to sound like a insensitive knuckle dragging troglodyte, but why is there such a thing as "Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgendered Celebration Day?"

Has there been problems at the work place about this?

Has a former/current LGBT employee sued your work?

Are these seminars mandatory?

Just give me the "I'm Over 40 & Just Leave Me The Fuck Alone Celebration Day."

Yes, I'm a IO40JLMTFA

God, I am getting bitter....
    Daniel (1994-2013)

No cheer******s allowed!
    It's Gay Pride week, out here in Boston.
    The Go-Go's are playing tonight, as part of it, with the B-52's.

We have many gay workers, and i get along much better with the homosexual men, then the lesbians.
    I find that most lesbians, i have encountered, have no sense of humor.
    The guys always have a good sense of humor, though.

I think with "Glee" and everything, the whole LBGT thng seems to always be in your face.
    I have no issues with boys who like boys, or girls who like girls, but the transgender thing really confuses me.
    I also tend to think bisexuals are just straight folks looking for attention!

Permanent vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by punkatomic View Post
    Just give me the "I'm Over 40 & Just Leave Me The Fuck Alone Celebration Day."

Yes, I'm a IO40JLMTFA

God, I am getting bitter....
    LoL! Classic, that's the best idea I've heard of since "Steak And A Blowjob Day" came in to balance out "Women's Day" a few years back. Though I wouldn't be eligible to celebrate it for another 15 years or so...

Mandatory work and school seminars about feelings, team morale, and other fluffy BS are a laughable waste of time, but so long as you're still paid to be there, why complain -- better than doing real work, right?

The LGBT thing doesn't bother me at all, never has. Who cares, honestly? They're no different than the rest of us. And the Pride Week celebrations here have even grown to an annual money-maker for the city as far as summer events go. I thought it was great when they legalized same-sex marriage in Canada. Not only is it a strike against organized religion's infiltration of state laws (the Catholic school board recently banned rainbow images from its properties, in the latest ridiculous development), but now the LGBT folks can be equally as miserable as the rest of the married population. (As Gene Simmons put it, "The only thing marriage can lead to is divorce.")
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

Permanent vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    We have many gay workers, and i get along much better with the homosexual men, then the lesbians.
    I find that most lesbians, i have encountered, have no sense of humor.
    The guys always have a good sense of humor, though.
    That is very true, I find. I think for the women it's still hooked up with feminism somehow, so they still link it to a non-existent struggle for gender equality.

The humour thing actually reminds me a lot of the Jewish community. Both are very self-deprecating (Seinfeld, anyone?), likely as a side effect of having to put up with discrimination for so long a time.
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfreak View Post
    That is very true, I find. I think for the women it's still hooked up with feminism somehow, so they still link it to a non-existent struggle for gender equality.

The humour thing actually reminds me a lot of the Jewish community. Both are very self-deprecating (Seinfeld, anyone?), likely as a side effect of having to put up with discrimination for so long a time.
    Your connection to feminism, is spot on.

I also have two co-workers who identify themselves as feminists, and they are the moodiest, most un-smiling, people i've ever met.
    I also once had an apartment, in a beautiful old victorian house, that resided right above three, very butch lesbians.
    If i was passing them on the landing, going up the stairs to my place, it was just the most awkward thing ever.
    Initially, i'd say "hello" and be warm, but they would shoot me these looks that were like ice daggers!
    They hated me AND my roomate.

I felt like saying, "Yes, i have a dick, i'm very sorry about that."

Love ya moms......
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    Here's a new thing under the sun: at work, we're having Gay Day. Okay, that's not the official name. It's "Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgendered Celebration Day." They're going to have seminars in the conference room about sexual identity and the meaning of the gay rainbow flag. Wearing gay colors is also encouraged (I'm checking the color chart before I dress that day to make sure I stay off the chart! Guess it'll be a basic black day).

Most of the people I work with are black and have very strong feelings about this, and they aren't pro. There are several very "out" people working there, too, and everyone, including me, gets along with them just fine, but ramming it down our throats like this, so to speak, is a bit much.

A great irony is that if I said to a co-worker, "Hey, don't you think ______ has great tits?," I could be in a world of trouble, yet now we're going to have company-mandated seminars on what kind of genitals everyone likes to nuzzle.

I'm really going to be curious to see how this goes. Will the known gays be all excited and eagerly participate in the gay discussions, or will they be embarrassed and self-conscious about the attention?

It's times like this I wish Steve Carrell was my boss in real life.
    Was it anything like McDonalds 365-black program?

Git some!
    That sounds.... gay.

I'm really starting to hate this PC, let's not hurt anyone's feelings bullshit.

I understand that they just want homosexuals and the like just want their peace and equality or whatever, but why can't they just kick some ass if they feel offended? Okay, disregard that, but still...

Femi-nazi's?
    Ready, Eddie!

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by EVH_Erupted View Post
    That sounds.... gay.
    Beat me to it, lol.

my take would be that it's for people that aren't as tolerant as us. everything you guys have said has (at least to me) said that you feel that homosexuals are people and have a right to live and exist, just like everyone else. I think the premise of gay pride month, as well as these seminars you speak of, is to express those sentiments to people that don't see things that way. More realistically, I don't think the gay community cares if you don't approve of them, it's when people get violent and act stupid that they care about.

it's like that tennessee thing where teachers are now forbidden to speak about homosexuality, which spawned george takei's hilarious "It's ok to be Takei" campaign.

That's just my take, take it with a grain of salt. I'm pretty damn liberal, and my schooling has only underscored that(and by that I mean I went to a very liberal university)
    A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.
    Frank Zappa