Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
    An Eleven Warrior

Rock N Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, Cleveland Ohio

Last week the little Doclings were on Spring Break. For part of the week we spent our time in glamorous Cleveland Ohio. On Thursday I spent the entire day at the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. Before I went I had big plans of taking lots of picture. When I got there there was lots of signs stating no pictures allowed. WTF? Needless to say, I got as many as I could

First off, don't think you will see a lot of Van Halen things, because you won't. I went over the place with a fine tooth comb and found three things. Mike Anthony's "Jack Daniels" bass, hand written lyrics to "It's About Time" and a back handed reference about Eddie in a typed letter from Pete Townsend to somebody in 1985. I just happened to read the letter from Pete to some friend of his. He seemed to be answering some sort of question about his thoughts on Eddie. Townsend said Eddie was fast and if you were that fast you didn't need class. Before I knew what I was doing I said "Fuck you Pete Townsend!" out loud and the dude standing next to me thought I was nuts. Other than that, nothing. They do have a revolving display area where they may put things up, but when I was there nothing.

In the revolving display area now they have displays of Metallica, ZZTop, The Who, David Bowie, Michael Jackson, U2, Aerosmith, Fleetwood Mac and two others that slip my mind. Those were neat for the fact you got to see guitars and stage costumes worn by the bands.

The Museum part is going through some renovations now, so the displays for The Stones and Beatles were closed. They had a big part for Jimi Hendrix, Elvis and Jim Morrison that were cool to see. Morrisin was a Boy Scout as a lad and at one point got one point shy of perfect for his uniform and appearance report. There were plenty of drawings and doodles from both of the Jim's.

The Museum spends a lot of time on the early influences of rock, and then breaks down things into regions, like Detroit, New York and London. It is also broken down into time lines. Consequently there is quite alot of punk rock stuff, especially the Clash and the Ramones.

The Rock Hall is on the top levels of the building. When you go in they are playing a continuos loop of all the inductees by year. Each act gets a two or three minute video montage. I was expecting the video they showed of VH at their induction. You know the one with the classic footage sprinkled in with the Hagar era stuff with Unchained played in the background. Boy, I couldn't have been more wrong. They showed footage from Live Without A Net and Panama, with "Why Can't This Be Love" playing in the background. The worst part is that there was not one single second or frame of film with David Lee Roth on it. I couldn't believe it, I had to watch the thing twice. The only referrence to DLR, other than his signature in the Hall of fame, was a split second picture of his face, in full Eat' Em And Smile make-up, during the Video Killed The Radio Star video.

The band that was represented the most was U2. From props from the ZooTV Tour to videos of them singing, props and guitars, along with a 90 minute 3D movie from the Beautiful Day Tour. They were everywhere! Don't get me wrong I like U2, but for crying out loud. That was in stark contrast with the TOTAL dissing of Diamond David Lee Roth.

All in all I had a fun day. It was cool seeing all the stuff. I was disappointed in Van Halen's representation. One last note of interest. In the Hall itself the arrangement of the names of the members of Vh was intersesting. With 5 guys they had two on top and three on the bottom. Guess who were the two on top. You got it, the only two that went to the ceremony.

The Hall itself is a dark curving hallway with the signatures of the artists in alphabetical order bye group. It was very dark in there and the background was black, with the signatures in a silvery paint. It was obvious the signatures were lifted from other objects, since they had signatures for Bon Scott, Brian Jones, and Cliff Burton. Metallica was interesting because their new bass player is enshrined.

Following are the pictures I took with my phone. Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dr. Roth; April 11th, 2011 at 01:19 PM.

An Eleven Warrior
    Here are the Van Halen signatures
    Attached Images Attached Images

Git some!
    Someone get me a hot-wiring kit and a jerry-can of gas... I'm gonna steal the Elimator car

Sounds like a good trip, I think they have a few memorabilia items in the Smithsonian, but nothing like this.

Was there anything besides U2?
    Ready, Eddie!

An Eleven Warrior
    The U2 movie was the only movie thing. They had stage props from Pink Floyd too. The main lobby by the ticket office they had a few Gerry Garcia guitars and stuff. But the main theme running threw most of the video stuff was U2.

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation

Pretty cool.

Thanks for sharing all the pics, Doc!
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC