Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
2011/2012 Van Halen concert tour.
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1
    Dance Baby!
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Peoples Republic of Seattle
    Posts
    6,073

    2011/2012 Van Halen concert tour.

    Just some thoughts I've had about an upcoming tour..

    1. Will it be a world wide tour? When was the last time Van Halen had a world wide tour?

    2. What songs are VH going to play on their "upcoming" tour? One would think that it would be new material and the Classics. OK, but how about the Hagar era? It's their history? Sammy didn't want to sing the Roth era stuff and it pissed Eddie off.

    Could Dave pull it off and make it his own?

    What songs from the Hagar era would you like to see Dave handle?

    What say you?
    Daniel (1994-2013)

  2. #2
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    3,919

    Post Van Halen Concert Tour 2011/2012

    1. I hope it's a world tour, passing through America, Europe, Asia and Oceania. The last world tour Van Halen was in 1998, with singer Gary Cherone.

    2. I hope the set list of songs from the new tour has new studio album, and I hope that each day of each show, the set-list of the shows are varied, with several songs in diverse set-list, such as music albums :

    Van Halen: Little Dreamer.

    Van Halen II: You're No Good, Bottoms Up, Light Up The Sky, Women In Love.

    Women And Children First: Fools, Tora Tora, Loss Of Control.

    Fair Warning: So This Is Love?, Dirty Movies, Push Comes To Shoove, One Foot Out The Door.

    Diver Down: Hang 'Em High, Little Guitars, The Full Bug, Happy Trails.

    1984: Top Jimmy, Drop Dead Legs, Girl Gone Bad, House Of Pain.

    The Best Of Vol.1: Can not Get This Stuff No More, Me Wise Magic.

    3. Hardly David Lee Roth singing the music of Sammy Hagar phase. But I will say that if David Lee Roth sang a few songs on the album until 5150 would be cool and fun. Songs like Summer Nights, 5150, Inside.

    4. Despite strong egoism David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar, both singers are friends, and are masters in advertising, when the subject is money $ $ $.

    5. Come the new world tour! With great joy and great music for everyone!

    Last edited by Humberto5150; February 14th, 2011 at 07:13 PM.
    Van Halen Blog 2.0 (New Blog):
    http://van-halen5150-br.blogspot.com/

    Van Halen Blog 1.0:




  3. #3
    Like Mike
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,338
    I don't think they've ever gone on a tour that went to every (habitable) continent... The closest would probably be in 1998.

    If Dave didn't sing them in 07, why would he now? Either way, I'm still not sold on them touring...

  4. #4
    Dance Baby!
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Peoples Republic of Seattle
    Posts
    6,073
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    I don't think they've ever gone on a tour that went to every (habitable) continent... The closest would probably be in 1998.

    If Dave didn't sing them in 07, why would he now? Either way, I'm still not sold on them touring...
    Why would Dave have song Hagar era tunes in 07/08? They hadn't been back together that long. Was the band to rehearse the CVH era and expect Dave to learn the Hagar era within months before embarking on a tour? That doesn't make any sense.

    Why would he now? I find it hard to believe that Eddie would omit 4 albums worth of material going forward. I've read interviews that it pissed him off that Sammy wouldn't do the Roth era stuff in concert.

    What has Dave been up to since 2008? Not ONE interview granted! Nothing new on his web site. What has he been up too? Learning Hagar era tones? It would be like learning a new cover song? Yes?

    Summer Nights? Best of Both Worlds? Why Can't This Be Love? Amsterdam? Cabo Wabo? Can't Drive 55? LOL

    OR

    Dave's solo stuff? Yankee Rose? Going Crazy? California Girls? Shy Boy?
    Daniel (1994-2013)

  5. #5
    Permanent vacation
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    4,122
    1) My guess is that if they tour, they'll take it one step -- and continent -- at a time. I can't see them signing on for a world tour given Eddie's unstable condition the last couple years, and the usual tension between him and Dave.

    2) If there's a new album to go with it, I'd expect three new ones in the set. Maybe start with four or even five, but usually they'd drop some as the tour progressed. I can't see them dusting off too many older numbers that weren't on the 2007 tour, as I'm not sure Dave could sing them at this point. It'd depend on Wolfie, I think. The band as it is now is partly a showcase for Ed's son, and if he wanted his dad to dust off some of the less played stuff in the catalog, I think he could.

    3) Hagar stuff? I hope not!
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

    ~ William S. Burroughs

  6. #6
    Dance Baby!
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Peoples Republic of Seattle
    Posts
    6,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfreak View Post
    1)....

    3) Hagar stuff? I hope not!
    I agree, but it is in this bands DNA.

    I'm no fan of the Hagar era, but it part of the history of this band. My question is can Dave do it? Will he do it?

    I can't picture Dave singing Right Here, Right Now or Top of The World. Is this something Wolfie would handle?

    Also, If Van Hagar were doing songs like RED and I Can't Drive 55. Why can't they give Yankee Rose or Perfect Timing a shot?
    Daniel (1994-2013)

  7. #7
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    Why is this even a question?

    Of course, Dave WILL NOT do any Hagar material, that's just not going to happen.
    You keep bringing this up, but the thought of Dave covering Sammy, never even crossed my mind.
    It's absurd, to be honest.

    Will Edward do "Eat 'em & Smile" and "Skyscraper" tunes?
    Doubtful.

    Van Halen will perform classic VH, as well as material from the new record.
    They have six albums worth of songs, possibly seven.
    Sam is releasing a tell-all book in March, so i don't think Ed is gonna feel all "warm & cuddly" towords the Spam years.

    VH will be as it was in 2007/08.
    Dave covering Sammy is a ridiculous notion, at best.
    Sammy hates Dave, Dave despises Sammy.
    Both guys contain gargantuan egos.
    Dave doesn't have the same vocal range as Sammy
    And on and on it goes...

  8. #8
    Dance Baby!
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Peoples Republic of Seattle
    Posts
    6,073
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Why is this even a question?

    Of course, Dave WILL NOT do any Hagar material, that's just not going to happen.
    You keep bringing this up, but the thought of Dave covering Sammy, never even crossed my mind.
    It's absurd, to be honest.

    Will Edward do "Eat 'em & Smile" and "Skyscraper" tunes?
    Doubtful.

    Van Halen will perform classic VH, as well as material from the new record.
    They have six albums worth of songs, possibly seven.
    Sam is releasing a tell-all book in March, so i don't think Ed is gonna feel all "warm & cuddly" towords the Spam years.

    VH will be as it was in 2007/08.
    Dave covering Sammy is a ridiculous notion, at best.
    Sammy hates Dave, Dave despises Sammy.
    Both guys contain gargantuan egos.
    Dave doesn't have the same vocal range as Sammy
    And on and on it goes...
    I agree with you in a lot of ways. I really do.

    However, I've been reading some past interviews with Ed post Sammy (1998). Eddie hates that fact that Sammy wouldn't touch a lot of Dave's stuff. I got to find this interview. Eddie talks about VH's history and how it was scrubbed because of Sammy reluctance to do Dave era tones.

    You say "of course" likes it's fact, but it isn't. It would be ridiculous notion if Dave started singing Hagar era shit while solo. He isn't solo anymore and the band he is in has a history with or without Dave. Again, I go back to that interview with Eddie. HE hated the fact that HIS band's past catalog was not being played. Van Hagar, as much as I hate it, is a part Van Halen's history. I think it would be a mistake if Van Halen neglected that era.

    5150, OU812, FUCK and Balance are soundtracks to someones youth. 4 consecutive #1 albums and they aren't going to touch it? Come on man! That is a ridiculous notion.

    Of course Dave doesn't have the range of Sammy. He doesn't act like an ass clown either. Your point? Egos? It would not surprise me that Dave's ego has no problem with trying to out due a former alumni. Are you telling me that Dave's ego is going to stand down because of the previous singers range? Come on man!

    IMO, if they do the same thing as they did in 2007/2008. I'm not there. Seen it, done it, time to move on.

    Van Halen at some point in time, is going to have to come to terms with their past, before this band can truly move forward.
    Daniel (1994-2013)

  9. #9
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    Quote Originally Posted by punkatomic View Post
    I agree with you in a lot of ways. I really do.

    However, I've been reading some past interviews with Ed post Sammy (1998). Eddie hates that fact that Sammy wouldn't touch a lot of Dave's stuff. I got to find this interview. Eddie talks about VH's history and how it was scrubbed because of Sammy reluctance to do Dave era tones.

    You say "of course" likes it's fact, but it isn't. It would be ridiculous notion if Dave started singing Hagar era shit while solo. He isn't solo anymore and the band he is in has a history with or without Dave. Again, I go back to that interview with Eddie. HE hated the fact that HIS band's past catalog was not being played. Van Hagar, as much as I hate it, is a part Van Halen's history. I think it would be a mistake if Van Halen neglected that era.

    5150, OU812, FUCK and Balance are soundtracks to someones youth. 4 consecutive #1 albums and they aren't going to touch it? Come on man! That is a ridiculous notion.

    Of course Dave doesn't have the range of Sammy. He doesn't act like an ass clown either. Your point? Egos? It would not surprise me that Dave's ego has no problem with trying to out due a former alumni. Are you telling me that Dave's ego is going to stand down because of the previous singers range? Come on man!

    IMO, if they do the same thing as they did in 2007/2008. I'm not there. Seen it, done it, time to move on.

    Van Halen at some point in time, is going to have to come to terms with their past, before this band can truly move forward.
    My point?

    Dave DOES NOT have the same vocal range as Sammy Hagar, thus try as he might, he would not be capable of executing the horrible songs that make up 5150, Balance, etc.
    It would be like having Eric Clapton covering Yngwie Malmsteen solo's.

    Beyond that glaring point, Dave's ego is such that he knows, in the technical sense, he cannot out-duel Hagar, so he's smart enough to leave it alone.
    Hagar's an ass clown, but love him or hate him, he has lungs.

    Roth knows his comfort zone, especially at this late stage of the game.
    He's not gonna go up there & kill himself, singing, "We'll get higher and higher..."
    It would kill his voice & give Sammy fodder to make target practice of Dave's range.

    Dave is a smart man.

  10. #10
    Dance Baby!
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Peoples Republic of Seattle
    Posts
    6,073
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    ...
    Dave is a smart man.
    Yes he is and I think Dave doesn't give a shit what Sammy Hagar thinks. I think we can agree with that. Remember Sammy throws a party, Dave is the party.

    Who here is saying he has to sing like Sammy? I'm not! You don't think Eddie would help Dave try achieve this? Rearrange a song to accommodate Dave? These guys have Van Halenized some covers in the past.

    I don't see Dave trying to sing Dreams. However, I can see him take a whack at Summer Nights or Top of The World. Again, could Wolfie handle some of those Hagar tones? See I don't know. That is why I'm asking the question.

    This really has to do with Van Halen history. Are they going to just toss out a decades worth of work? I don't think Eddie will want to make that mistake again. I don't see Van Halen charting their course depending on how and what Sammy and Mike are doing.

    IMO, if Van Halen does the same thing they did in 2007/2008 and some new tunes sprinkled here and there isn't going to cut it.
    Daniel (1994-2013)

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. New Van Halen Album and World Tour for 2011
    By Cathedral =I= in forum Main Classic Van Halen Discussion Forum
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: August 28th, 2010, 03:42 PM
  2. Scorpions - Get your Sting and Blackout World Tour 2010 / 2011
    By Humberto5150 in forum House of Music
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: August 4th, 2010, 08:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •