Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    No cheer******s allowed!

Ozzy with Brad Gillis 1982

I found this one at Megaupload, and was surprised just how good Brad Gillis was, stepping into Randy's huge shoes.
    This is an excellent soundboard recording, sort of a nice companion piece to "Speak of the devil."

It's interesting to hear the future Night Ranger (yuck) guitarist pretty much nail Randy's leads, and adding his own licks into the mix.

Ozzy sounds like he's in mourning, still grieving over Randy's recent passing.
    You can hear it in his voice.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FLYOXAL5

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation

Thanks for the link!

Gonna try to listen to it late at home.

Speak of the Devil ftw.
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

On Comcast they have these Guitar World On Demand videos, and one of them is Brad Gillis, and he talks about how he got the audition with Ozzy. He was playing in a covers band in San Francisco that played a couple of Ozzy's songs with Randy, and he said one night Preston Thrall came in. Preston Thrall was the brother of Pat Thrall, who played bass or keyboard or something with Pat Travers, who's drummer was Tommy Aldridge, who was now playing with Ozzy! Somehow through this six degrees of separation Gillis got the phone call from Sharon Arden-Osbourne to come audition in New York.

He said he got there and they didn't even have a room booked for him and it was $115 and he only brought $150. He said then the road manager called him up to the penthouse and peeled off $500 in cash and said, "Will that cover it?" Then he said Ozzy had him sit on the edge of the bed and play for him totally unplugged. And that was it! They did "Flying High Again," and he was in. He toured with them for three days without playing, just listening to live tapes for about 12 hours a day, and on the third or fourth night he said he was ready to go, and that was it.

Then Night Ranger got a record deal, with the condition that he return to the band (he had quit for some reason), and he decided to go make a mark with his own thing, which given what seems to happen to Ozzy's guitarists might have been a wise idea.

It's a lot more amusing to hear him tell the story in his hyper Tom Arnold way. If I had more time I would look it up for you on You Tube.

Night Ranger is a footnote of `80's rock, but Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson were quietly two of the best guitar players out there at the time.

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation

You may not believe, but ... to this day I don't remember ever listening to any Night Ranger tune. I can't recall any of their songs, titles or albums. I only know who Brad Gillis is and that's it.
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

Permanent vacation
    I'm not a big fan of his take on the songs -- find his playing rather typical of the era, and preferred Bernie Torme as far as tone goes. He still gets major respect from me though, considering the circumstances he stepped in to, pinch hitting for Randy on zero notice.

SOTD is an underrated and forgotten little gem... sure, they touched it up a bit (mostly Ozzy's vocals), but not nearly as much as Unleashed In The East, and that's considered a classic by most.

Just Say Ozzy was another nice, forgotten live album to come out of Ozzy's 80s heyday... one of the only bearable Zakk Wylde releases, before he got addicted to the squeal harmonics.
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I dont care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Ribeiro View Post
    You may not believe, but ... to this day I don't remember ever listening to any Night Ranger tune. I can't recall any of their songs, titles or albums. I only know who Brad Gillis is and that's it.
    You haven't missed a whole lot. They were from that sort of Loverboy/R.E.O. Speedwagon school of rock. He's a really good guitar player, though. Something I learned in that interview I didn't know was that today you hear metal guitar players do a thing where they get a weird wobble effect, like they turned on a chorus pedal for a second that's turned up too high. He said he came up with that in the `80's, you have to have a Floyd Rose tremolo with the arm pretty tight and then tap it as you play something and it "flutters," which is what they call it. He started a lot of the backwards arm squeals and stuff, too.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Andy Laroque (King Diamond) is the master of that warble/wobble effect.
    Laroque actually flicks the bar, though, instead of punching the guitar body.
    He uses it with exotic scales (notes), and it really gives this creepy effect.
    Andy was/is one of the unsung guitar heroes in metal, along with Ronni Le Tekro.
    Both those guys are monsters!

Brad Gillis is great with the Floyd, though.
    He sounds great on these 82 recordings, very confident & sure of himself.
    I loved what he did on "Speak of the Devil" with the Sabbath material, and this is like the other half, the Randy songs.

Night Ranger were terrible & sappy, but i loved "Don't tell me you love me."
    Both guys had great styles, it's just the songs were like "Sister Christian" (which contains a great solo, btw).

Here he is demonstrating the thing with the bar at 1:16. It's also pretty cool that he gets the same sound Eddie got with the drill just by pinching the G string with a metal pick and doing a little vibrato. If this guy had gotten in a different band that was a little heavier he might be in there with Lynch and DeMartini these days, but he still plays festivals and has a career so I guess he's happy.

I mainly knew of Night Ranger because when Guitar Player was the only guitar magazine I could find around, Night Ranger was the one issue that had guys on the cover who looked like real rock guitarists as opposed to James Taylor. Jeff Watson played a gold top Les Paul and his hook was eight-fingered tapping, while Gillis played the red Strat and was the one for weird whammy bar noises.

EVH diehard ...
    i really enjoyed Brad's work on the Speak of the Devil album with Ozzy .
    we used to get stoned to that one and Alive II by KISS , back in the high school days ..

i liked his solos on N.I.B. at the time and was impressed by his legato style . oddly , i never liked his whammy bars flutters too much ?
    neat sound but to me , annoying after hearing it too much
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    i really enjoyed Brad's work on the Speak of the Devil album with Ozzy. we used to get stoned to that one and Alive II by KISS, back in the high school days ..

i liked his solos on N.I.B. at the time and was impressed by his legato style . oddly , i never liked his whammy bars flutters too much ? neat sound but to me , annoying after hearing it too much
    Same here - we used to talk for hours about these 02 live albums (plus Tokyo Tapes, Strangers in the Night and On Stage). My problem with Alive II is that Ace (or it was Paul?) made it wrong at the very 1st minutes of very 1st song in the album - just listen to Detroit Rock City included there!
    ---