Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    TPS Reports

Putting my dog to 'sleep'?

OK dog lovers, I got a question for you. How much does it cost to take the dog to the vet and.......well, put him to sleep?

My dog is pushing 15 years old and the time has come. I love my dog, but I'm gonna have to 'put him to sleep', ie: Kill him. I'm not happy about it but its gonna have to be done. I'll spare you the details about his last few months, if you've had a dog that had to be put down, you know what the deal is.

My question is, how much does it cost?
    The dog is a golden retriever, 80 pounds. What does it cost?
    Go RAMS!

Love ya moms......
    The vet where i go usually charges around 80$. But i believe hes on the cheaper side and hes been the same vet weve used for the last 40 yrs or so.
    My prayers go out to you during this hard time....putting a dog down that is like a family member is one of the hardest things you can ever do.

If it should be that I grow weak And pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then you must do what must be done, For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand. Don't let your grief then stay your hand.

For this day, more than all the rest, Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years. What is to come can hold no fears.

You'd not want me to suffer so; The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend, And please stay with me till the end.

Hold me firm and speak to me, Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see The kindness that you did for me.

Although my tail its last has waved, From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you Who had this painful thing to do.

We've been so close, we two, these years; Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

~~ Author Unknown ~~

main squeeze
    Sorry man.

We had to put our cat down a few years back... The vets lied to us. They made us pay 700 bucks for surgery, when the whole time they knew it as terminally ill. After the operation, she had this growth on her eye... They claimed that it was a protective outer-skin. I called bs, and after a few weeks, her eye got all brown and swollen and eventually she became blind and started walking into walls and stuff....
    We took her to the vet and they said that they knew that she had a tumour the whole time and that we need to put her down...

I hope you have the strength to pull through this tough time.

Dance Baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by JONEZY View Post
    OK dog lovers, I got a question for you. How much does it cost to take the dog to the vet and.......well, put him to sleep?

My dog is pushing 15 years old and the time has come. I love my dog, but I'm gonna have to 'put him to sleep', ie: Kill him. I'm not happy about it but its gonna have to be done. I'll spare you the details about his last few months, if you've had a dog that had to be put down, you know what the deal is.

My question is, how much does it cost?
    The dog is a golden retriever, 80 pounds. What does it cost?
    Sorry to hear about this news JONEZY.

The costs very on the size of dog and if you want the remains. It's going to cost less the smaller the dog and if you choose not to have any remains returned. The costs go up the bigger the dog and if you want the remains back. Also, you have to choose a type of urn the ashes are returned in. That was my experience about 5 years ago.

I don't really remember the actual cost, sorry. That was a sad day. His remains were returned a week later in a cedar box. I ended up spreading his ashes all over his favorite park. That was a good day.

If I were you I'd just give your vet a call.

BTW, The punk household includes a 3-1/2 year old golden retriever and he is about 80 lbs too.
    Daniel (1994-2013)

Sorry to hear about that Jonezy! It's always hard to lose a pet!

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one" - Spock

older budweiser
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    Sorry man.

We had to put our cat down a few years back... The vets lied to us. They made us pay 700 bucks for surgery, when the whole time they knew it as terminally ill. After the operation, she had this growth on her eye... They claimed that it was a protective outer-skin. I called bs, and after a few weeks, her eye got all brown and swollen and eventually she became blind and started walking into walls and stuff....
    We took her to the vet and they said that they knew that she had a tumour the whole time and that we need to put her down...

I hope you have the strength to pull through this tough time.
    I'm a cat-lover, and this story breaks my heart.
    My cat started losing control of her bladder, shortly before she died.
    The kidneys started to go.

My parents said, the day she died, she took all of her strength & left her little cat bed, walked stright outside, into the woods, and laid herself down.
    It was cold out, so my Dad carried her back inside.

The poor thing wanted to face death in private.

Oh Jonezy, I'm so sorry to hear this sad news....It's such a hard decision to make, but like Achilles' poem spoke of, it shows the greatest love....

punk's right in that the size of the animal matters, as well as whether you want remains back. About 10 years ago, when we lost our family cat to some mystery disease, we were given the choice of paying $200 to have her cremated separately so they could return her ashes to us, or $50 to have it done with other animals who had gone on, but they couldn't then return anything to us.

Most vets are so sympathetic in this situation - they've known you for a long time, having been your pet's physician, so they know you pretty well. I'm sure they'll offer you options that will be right for your budget and your feelings.

My sympathies are with you and your family....
    remember....after the fire, after all the rain
    i will be the flame.....

main squeeze
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I'm a cat-lover, and this story breaks my heart.
    My cat started losing control of her bladder, shortly before she died.
    The kidneys started to go.

My parents said, the day she died, she took all of her strength & left her little cat bed, walked stright outside, into the woods, and laid herself down.
    It was cold out, so my Dad carried her back inside.

That's so sad. It's the worst thing to see an animal suffering. The vets really dogged us out though... The dickheads.

Our cat got really frail and weak. She used to always run away whenever someone approached her, but in her last few weeks shed just hide under Mum's blanket and just lay there. She got really affectionate... But then yeah...

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation ...

Sorry to hear about these bad news, Jonezy! Hang tough, man.

Achilles, thanks for sharing the poem.
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW

Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I'm a cat-lover, and this story breaks my heart. My cat started losing control of her bladder, shortly before she died. The kidneys started to go.

My parents said, the day she died, she took all of her strength & left her little cat bed, walked stright outside, into the woods, and laid herself down. It was cold out, so my Dad carried her back inside.

Sad to hear about that - my mom had a siamese cat that did the same and died without anyone near her... .
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW

Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC