Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Dokken appreciation thread.......
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Love ya moms......

Dokken appreciation thread.......

Ive been listening to a lot of dokken the past few days. Under lock and key and back for the attack have been getting a lot of airtime. They were totally underrated and got lumped in with winger and warrant which sucked. Lynch is just smokin too,he was a monster.

Yabba Dabba Doo!
    George Lynch was Dokken.

Check out Lynch Mob ...
    Sounds MUCH like Dokken ... with a good singer.

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation

Dokken was damn nice - I still own Tooth & Nail, Under Lock & Key and Back for the Attack. I even followed Lynch and bought the tape for his Lynch Mob debut album. Weird fact - I never listened to Dokken with Reb Beach as the guitarrist.
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

THEE bassist for VH
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    George Lynch was Dokken.

Check out Lynch Mob ...
    Sounds MUCH like Dokken ... with a good singer.
    I agree Dino. I have Lynch Mob's first and it's great. Saw Dokken open for Aerosmith back in the day, Don Dokken was doing this ridiculous attempt at being Roger Daltry and swinging his mike around his head. The stupid fucker dropped it and it made all kinds of feedback noise. Luckily, Lynch didn't miss a beat. He had some wild hair that night. About a foot high with Aqua Net. Mr. Scary, his guitar was awesome to look at not to mention the solo.

TPS Reports
    Loved Dokken! Saw them 3 times. Monsters of Rock, opening for Aerosmith, and later opening for Poison. They never hit it big, ie: never headlined arena's in America, although I think they were big in Japan, but so is Nightranger.

I remember the Monsters of Rock show, Don Dokken said something like "I'm gonna get laid tonight!" and Lynch said into the mic "Bullshit!" Kind of funny. Apparently there was some tension between the two.
    Go RAMS!

Yabba Dabba Doo!
    Quote Originally Posted by JONEZY View Post
    Loved Dokken! Saw them 3 times. Monsters of Rock, opening for Aerosmith, and later opening for Poison. They never hit it big, ie: never headlined arena's in America, although I think they were big in Japan, but so is Nightranger.

I remember the Monsters of Rock show, Don Dokken said something like "I'm gonna get laid tonight!" and Lynch said into the mic "Bullshit!" Kind of funny. Apparently there was some tension between the two.
    Tension between a singer and a guitar player? ... Imagine that.

NightRanger is a band I haven't heard from in a while.
    I wasn't crazy about their music, but I always thought Jeff Watson was WAY under-rated. I remember he had this crazy 8-finger technique that I tried to copy back in the day. I never could quite master it though.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Watson was incredible, and so was Brad Gillis.
    Those two complemented each other extremely well (check out the two solos in "Don't tell me you love me")

Those boys could play, no doubt.

Lynch, i like & don't like.
    I feel his best stuff was on "Tooth & Nail" and "Lock & Key."
    Tom Werman forced him to slow down & work out his solos on "Lock & Key," and those solos are fantastic (Lightnin' strikes again, Unchain the night, The Hunter).

"Back for the attack" was suposedly Lynch's revenge, as his soloing was excessive & detrimental to the actual songs.

With Lynch Mob, there was no one to reel him in.
    When he's focused & melodic, he is deadly.
    Otherwise, he can be a bit too much.

Demartini was always my choice, though my friends all worshipped Lynch.

Band Manager
    I don't like metal as a general rule...but I did see Dokken open for Aerosmith on the 'Permanent Vacation' tour. They were horrible live-Don couldn't sing...Pilson was OK-but this was one of the first rock tours to use sampled backing vocals extensively. Lynch's tone was awful-incredibly bright and there was a ton of microphonic feedback. I think this was basically a function of the fact that they were an opening act and got virtually no soundcheck...Lynch was and is a great player. The recordings are incredible,and like it or not,some of the best production in the 80s was on the Dokken records,particularly the backing vocals...

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    With Lynch Mob, there was no one to reel him in. When he's focused & melodic, he is deadly. Otherwise, he can be a bit too much.

Demartini was always my choice, though my friends all worshipped Lynch.
    De Martini knew how to write a song for his band, not for his ego exclusively. Lynch made an ok release with that Lynch Mob debut stuff, but it was pretty weak if you compare to what he wrote with Don previously. You had like 02 memorable tunes - Wicked Sensation and Sweet Sister Mercy. And that's it for that poor album IMHO.
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    I don't like metal as a general rule...but I did see Dokken open for Aerosmith on the 'Permanent Vacation' tour. They were horrible live-Don couldn't sing...Pilson was OK-but this was one of the first rock tours to use sampled backing vocals extensively. Lynch's tone was awful-incredibly bright and there was a ton of microphonic feedback. I think this was basically a function of the fact that they were an opening act and got virtually no soundcheck...Lynch was and is a great player. The recordings are incredible,and like it or not,some of the best production in the 80s was on the Dokken records,particularly the backing vocals...
    I saw that exact tour!

Lynch had a wall of '87 Jubilee Marshall's.