Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Van Halen's Jump on "GLEE"

So there is this wonderful music filled show Fox network currently called GLEE - it's about a high school glee club's trials and tribulations in a school that's not exactly welcoming to them...great characters, good story line, lot's of cool tunes. Anyways, last week, the story went that one of the members managed to get the club hired to do a local mattress store's commercial, and this is what they worked up: Some silly fun with Van Halen....

No cheer******s allowed!
    Apparently, they did a version of Journey's, "Don't stop believen," and Steve Perry was the musical director.
    They said Steve was blown away by their interpretation.

"Summer win, summer lose, summer even sing da blooooooooze...."

They're a talented bunch of kids. They use all kinds of music for the show - rock, hip hop, jazz, old standards....cool arrangements too. A couple of weeks ago, Artie (the young man in the wheelchair) did an absolutely charming version of Billy Idol's Dancin' With Myself....

(rats! tried to embed it from hulu but it didn't work) Here's a link to Artie's number on GLEE

And here's their Don't Stop Believin' (found on hulu also)

No cheer******s allowed!
    See, my problem is that i absolutely hate accapella type singing.
    My best friend is actually in an acapella group, and he's talented, but i cringe when he plays their old tapes.

This version of "Jump" gave me a severe headache.
    There's too many voices, too much flipping, too many mattresses...

I love the two hot girls, in the begining (blonde & brunette), but the hyperactive vocals were distracting.

Having said that, i'm curious about the show & the storylines.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Just watched the Journey cover, and again, it gave me a headache.

I appreciate the talent, and i realize it can't be easy, but there is just something about that vocal style that i dislike.
    They sound over amplified & stagey, very broadway.
    It's like they are over projecting every line & nuance, which you see a lot on American Idol, as well.

I missed the hot blonde from the "Jump" clip, as she didn't appear during the Journey one.
    I did catch AJ Massey playing some hot Neal Schon guitar, though!

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation

I guess Van hagar was also remembered by this Glee show the other day - there was this girl who said that Van Halen was dead when Dave left the band, though her cd player says the contrary while playing Right Now - yeah, right!

Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Just watched the Journey cover, and again, it gave me a headache.

I appreciate the talent, and i realize it can't be easy, but there is just something about that vocal style that i dislike.
    They sound over amplified & stagey, very broadway.
    It's like they are over projecting every line & nuance, which you see a lot on American Idol, as well........
    That's what a "glee club" is supposed to be about - it's a very "showtune/Broadway" style of performing all different kinds of music, very choreographed and "stagey" as you put it. So if that's how it comes off to you, they're doing their job. And yeah it doesn't always work with every song....

And that's one of the reason Idol sucks so much - they use that style of performing when they're supposed to be showcasing their individual, unique talents, and they all end up sounding and looking the same - for the most part, warbly and insincere and formulaic, imho...Freaking Carrie Underwood had some sort of holiday special on tonight and it pre-empted two shows I wanted to see. TWO!! It wasn't bad enough that my anticipated evening viewing was interrupted, but it was interrupted by her....ugh....

No cheer******s allowed!
    I still would like to see the show, "Glee."

I like programs about kids sort of pursuing their dreams in music.
    As "over the top" as the "Jump" thing was, it still makes you smile, just in their eagerness & enthusiasm.

They should do Dio's, "Rainbow in the Dark."
    I can picture them vocalizing that opening keyboard riff, then the cute blonde singing, "You know it always brings me doooooown!"

Quote Originally Posted by ravennaloveseddie View Post
    Freaking Carrie Underwood had some sort of holiday special on tonight and it pre-empted two shows I wanted to see. TWO!! It wasn't bad enough that my anticipated evening viewing was interrupted, but it was interrupted by her....ugh....
    Ooh, I'm sorry I missed that! Depending on what she was wearing, it could've been a very worthwhile show.