Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Just saw some of Anvil documentary
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just saw some of Anvil documentary

I just caught probably over half of the Anvil documentary. What I got out of it was that this Lips guy is a world-class drama queen and complainer. He keeps talking about his hard luck life as he takes two trips to Europe and another trip to Tokyo in a single year! I'm sure his travel expenses alone exceeded my annual income. Then his family lends him $15,000 to record his CD. He must've blown at least $30,000 right there, none of the money his own, and then he talks about how poor he is. He talks about working for Meals on Wheels -- when is he ever there? I got one shot of him stirring a pot of soup.

Did I mention he also has a two-story brick house? But it's always filmed on a overcast day when the lawn looks a little shaggy to give the impression of squalor. The Robo guy's basement was a mess, but in a quick shot of the upstairs he's got hardwood floors and studio lighting everywhere.

The Lips guy doesn't even know when to turn off the waterworks. He's talking to some fans after a fairly successful show in Romania and gives them his hard luck story. The fans don't want to hear it! I don't want to know if Eddie Van Halen couldn't afford his gas bill one month, I want to enjoy the life of driving Lamborghinis and bonking Valerie Bertinelli vicariously through his music! Same for Anvil! He continued the dripping during a Los Angeles radio interview.

Stop the crying! If you're 51 and too dumb to figure out you've had more success than your C-grade Ted Nugent impression ever merited it's your own fault!

Like Mike
    They're just another NWOBHM band, that I don't thinks even British (they're Jewish).

Nothing special about their music...

Anyways... I always found it to be bullshit that "Budgie" didn't get a documentary about them instead. Now they're special...
    Last edited by vhfanjack; October 5th, 2009 at 01:25 AM.

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation ...

Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    They're just another NWOBHM band, that I don't thinks even British (they're Jewish).

Nothing special about their music...

Anyways... I always found it to be bullshit that "Budgie" didn't get a documentary about them instead. Now they're special...
    Back in the day, you'd not say something like that, Jack!

Anvil was damn nice to my ears. I do have Hard'n'Heavy, Metal on Metal, Forged in Fire, Strength of Steel and Backwaxed. Some killer tunes that became anthems for a lot of brazilian metalheads! I was a big fan of Robb Reiner - to me, he was one the 1st drummers to hit the cymbals crossing his arms. That was killer!
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

No cheer******s allowed!
    No love for Lips & Anvil??!

Anvil made a huge, huge leap from their debut, "Hard & Heavy", which was Nugent-esque hard rock boogie, to their second effort, "Metal on Metal," which set the blueprint for what would become thrash & speed metal.
    "Forged in Fire" perfected the formula!

I hate to see Anvil reduced to this canadian Spinal-Tap, joke band.
    Anvil fucking ruled back in the day.

Having said that, i ordered the Anvil DVD from Amazon.
    Getting surgery early next week, and i will need a week off from work to recover, thus i'm stocking up on every DVD i can get my hands on (and guitar mags!)

I didn't recognize their names from the liner notes of Pyromania so I have to dump on them.

I only know Anvil from this movie and old You Tube videos, but my point is this guy has a house and takes multiple trips to Europe a year and got to play to big crowds at least earlier in his life, and yet he's complaining about what a failure he feels like. If he's such a pitiful case, what does that make the rest of us?

Git some!
    Now I don't know if I want to watch this doc, I really like Anvil.

Nothing special? WTF?
    Ready, Eddie!

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation ...

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    No love for Lips & Anvil??!

Anvil made a huge, huge leap from their debut, "Hard & Heavy", which was Nugent-esque hard rock boogie, to their second effort, "Metal on Metal," which set the blueprint for what would become thrash & speed metal.
    "Forged in Fire" perfected the formula!

I hate to see Anvil reduced to this canadian Spinal-Tap, joke band. Anvil fucking ruled back in the day.

Having said that, i ordered the Anvil DVD from Amazon. Getting surgery early next week, and i will need a week off from work to recover, thus i'm stocking up on every DVD i can get my hands on (and guitar mags!)
    Damn! FiF brings me some great memories - Being a headbanger back to the 1980's and listening to some great Metal bands pretty loud! Man, I used to sing FiF like I was putting my lungs out!

Sure, I used to do the same with many other Trash songs!
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by EVH_Erupted View Post
    Now I don't know if I want to watch this doc, I really like Anvil. Nothing special? WTF?
    Yeah, I know. I tend NOT to watch this stuff; I'd prefer listening to the albums I own!
    ---

I don't feel tardy
    Saw the Anvil doc earlier this year and it was great. It's not really Spinal Tap...more unintentional than anything. The best is the beginning footage of people like Scott Ian & Lars Ulrich saying they don't know why Anvil never caught on big with the rest of the thrash movement since they were just as good and rocked just as hard.

It's a good piece on the band's attempts to get back to the big stage, albeit hilarious (and sad) at some points.
    Wolf: "C'mon Dave...give me a cake*."
    Dave:"One cake*...comin' up!"

* (can be substituted for steak or shake)

Quote Originally Posted by kaprookie View Post
    Saw the Anvil doc earlier this year and it was great. It's not really Spinal Tap...more unintentional than anything. The best is the beginning footage of people like Scott Ian & Lars Ulrich saying they don't know why Anvil never caught on big with the rest of the thrash movement since they were just as good and rocked just as hard.

It's a good piece on the band's attempts to get back to the big stage, albeit hilarious (and sad) at some points.

Good for them! Its good to see there are still people out there that still have a pasion for music even when they are getting older and are not like Metallica and selling out stadiums! So i say GOOD FOR THEM